Ruby's Diner, San Juan Capistrano

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Ruby's Diner!: 1940's Themed Diner

by lmkluque Updated Feb 20, 2012

Hamburger and French Fries

Ruby's is a chain restaurant that I had never heard of before though they are located in six states and there are more than twenty stores between San Diego and Los Angeles. All I knew is that this the place my grand daughter wanted to have lunch at and since it was her day, that was where we ate.

Walking into Ruby's was like walking in a black and white movie that turned instantly into color for me. Pretty authentic. The servers were upbeat, positive and fun. I learned that Ruby did not build the restaurants, her son did and named it for his mom. Awwww so sweet.

We ended up at a table with the teacher and several parents and class mates on the field day trip. I didn't really know anyone there but while my grand daughter bantered with her friends I found the working overhead train pretty interesting. I don't know if the other Ruby locations has this also but I liked it.

Favorite Dish: Most everyone ordered one of the various burgers. My order was fish & chips with refillable fries and a chocolate turtle shake. My grand daughter ordered the Rubyburger with refillable fries and a strawberry shake.

The food we were served was fresh and tasted good. So, if the old fashion burger, fries and a shake is what you'er looking for, this is the right spot to go to.

• School Holidays

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Ruby's Diner: More than Burgers....

by malianrob Updated Apr 4, 2011

I didnt want to come here because I have been to Ruby's before but my daughter insisted on eatting here. I wanted to try something different but she won. Ruby's is not bad but I didnt want to burger.
    The food was good. The shakes even better. I had an Aloha Chicken sandwich and Alexis had a turkey club. The portions are huge and the food is very good. My chicken sandwich was made which a huge chicken breast. And Alexis' turkey sandwich was made with a thick piece of turkey white meat. The fries are bottomless. I got the chilli cheese fries and she got the garlic fries.
    She also got a strawberry banana shake and they gave her the extra in another container so it was as if she had two shakes.
    We didnt even finish our food, we had to take the rest home.

• keida84's Profile Photo

50's Diner Style

by keida84 Updated Nov 15, 2005

Patio Dining is Delightful

Ruby's is a chain of resaturants that sport the 1950's theme. Waitresses in red and white stirped uniforms with saddle shoes, the booths are red and chrome. Everything points to an old fashioned "malt shop" theme. The ambience is delightful and family-oriented. Kids will have a great time here with the juke box and a very "kid friendly" atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: We were a bit tired from our train trip and we wanted something fairly light but heavy enough to tide us over as we had dinner reservations that night. Ruby's menu proved extensive and varied in the fare it offered.

Kris had the Turkey burger which between bites, she said was delicious. It was a "mile high" burger with thick tomato slices, lettuce and onions. I had the Tuna Melt, I rarely if ever, eat fish. I really have to be in the mood and then I must be the one to make it. Well I tried Ruby's Tuna Melt on rye with pickle relish and onions and I was most pleased.

Though we did not have dessert here the menu of ice creams treats, pies and cakes made it very hard to say "no".

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Ruby's burgers: Milkshakes and burgers

by TinKan Written Jan 2, 2005

Ruby's Burgers

Just down the main road from the mission you will find a little mall with two stories. On the top story you will find a Ruby’s which is famous for the milkshakes that it makes. The outdoor sitting area is nice and overlooks the main street and even provided a good view of the mission.

You will find that the prices are a little steep and the meals do not come with fries. You have to pay extra for them. Get an order to split.

Favorite Dish: The Chicken Strips were very good and best value for money.

• Goner's Profile Photo

Ruby's Diner: Ohhh Ruby!

by Goner Updated Jul 10, 2003

Ruby's Diner

There are many Ruby's scattered around California. This one is perched on top of an art gallery and has outdoor seating with a view of the Mission and main street of San Juan Capistrano. It's done up in 50's style with red leather seats and crome. There's a train tooting by overhead to keep you entertained.

Favorite Dish: The turkey and avacado sandwich was good, they toast the roll and they're known for their great hamburgers.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: San Juan Capistrano

Comments

View all San Juan Capistrano hotels