The Ramos House Cafe, San Juan Capistrano

4 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

31752 Los Rios Street (949) 443-1342

The Ramos House
    by keida84
    Patio from outside looking in.
    by lmkluque
    Ramos House Cafe
    by lmkluque
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Ramos House Cafe!: Patio Dining Only

by lmkluque Updated Feb 20, 2012

Ramos House Cafe

This restaurant was closed by the time I found it. They close at 3:00 pm and all day on Mondays. They open early and the menu seems to be brunch rather than breakfast and lunch, which I've heard great things about. I'm just not a breakfast person so would choose a wine from the "secret room" cellar, soup and salad and the homemade ice cream that is churned in the back yard.

The house was part of the second phase of building and instead of using adobe as used in the first stage, these homes were built of wood. I like the natural look of the rustic wood and the brick of the patio. It looks really old, but it has been restored for safety's sake.

The prices seem moderate on the everyday menu,, but I think the Brunch is a bit high because a choice of only one item in each category is allowed. Usually for the price most nice Brunches are all you can eat and drink.

Favorite Dish: The menu looks more like something found in a very upscale neighborhood and I understand the owner is a well educated chef. To my way of thinking, the contrast between the look of the place and the fine dining elelment of the menu makes this a very interesting place to try out so suggest it here. Also I've heard really good reviews from those who have eaten here. I'll write more after I've actually tried it.

• Wine Tasting

• Ramos House Cafe: Thieves

by Compossui Written Sep 1, 2008

We paid $377 for 6 adults and 1 child to eat french toast.... Need I say more? Seriously though, after we had signed our bill and left, the staff decided to add on a $63 tip (on top of the mandatory gratuity that had already been added to our bill) - I still have not received a call back from the owner-in-residence and am resorting to calling local law enforcement tomorrow.

RIP OFF.... THIEVES....

Favorite Dish: It wasn't $377 dollars worth of french toast, I can tell you that... Everything was over-cooked -- even the side order of bacon we requested....

• keida84's Profile Photo

The Ramos Cafe: A Cafe in the House Where the Chef Lives

by keida84 Updated Nov 15, 2005

The Ramos House

Located in the historic Los Rios District is The Ramos House built circa 1881 and was home to one of the oldest families in Orange County. The house was built with a trap door in the floor for escape from banditos.

It now houses the Ramos House Cafe. The seating for entire restaurant is solely on the patio and they are open for breakfast and lunch only. The restroom is designed to look like an outhouse (just a bit more upscale though.) The chef and owner also lives in the house.

Note: This past November we were heading over to the Ramos house for lunch. Upon our arrival I noticed many empty chairs and tables. We asked to see a menu and we told that they were only serving brunch at over $25 a person. This was a Saturday, a good deal of people followed us over to the Ramos house and did not buy into anything at all because of the Prixe Fixe Menu. He lost at least 10 people plus ourselves by limiting his menu in such a fashion. Word to the owner: Regular menus are just fine with many of us!!

Favorite Dish: Wow, the menu is limited to a few items and it changes. I had the Onion Flower Soup with Blue Cheese Pop-overs and a basket of Sweet Potatoe French Fries.

The Beet salad is also recommended.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: San Juan Capistrano

Comments

Hotels Near The Ramos House Cafe
3.5 out of 5 stars