Sacred Garden, San Juan Capistrano
The bells were important to early Mission life, taking the place of clocks. They called the community to meals, religious services, work, funerals, and the sighting of a supply ship.
These bells originally hung in the tower of the Great Church. until the earthquake of 1812. The large bells are recast of the original dating back to 1796 and the small bells to o1804.