San Luis Obispo Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by afrumes
    Frank's Famous Hot Dogs
    by tvdandy
    west end expresso and tea.
    by tvdandy

Best Rated Restaurants in San Luis Obispo

• Nor_Cal_Brad's Profile Photo

Margie's Diner: Large Portions @ Margie's Diner

by Nor_Cal_Brad Written May 15, 2008

Margie's Diner in SLO

This is a medium sized diner that serves up HUGE portions of food for a relatively low price. If you order anything with potatoes, you will probably get about 2 to 3 pounds of potatoes on your plate, whether it's breakfast potatoes, french fries, mashed potatoes, etc... The food is tasty, but it's not exactly fine dining. Casual atmosphere, with pictures of old movie and music stars hung up on the walls. Again, I cannot stress enough, the serving sizes are LARGE - this is what Margie's is known for; you will probably be leaving here with a box full of your leftover food. I am a big eater, and I have only finished my meal twice - both times when I substituted something else for the potatoes in my meal.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish here is the Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs. I like to get the potatoes substituted for biscuits and gravy, cause I'm a big fan of biscuits and gravy too. If you ask for your eggs scrambled, you will probably get about 4 or 5 eggs. The chicken fried steak is decent sized, and smothered in country gravy. You will also receive some fruit on the side (usually a slice of watermelon and a orange slice).

• Study Abroad

• Cabo San Luis: Great low fat Mexican selection!

by Breeny22 Written Feb 14, 2008

Cabo San Luis has a great menu, great service, and great food! My husband and I love going there because we can have mexican food without the guilt! They have a "Lite" menu with all of the dishes having 27% or less of the calories from fat.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the lite bean and rice burrito. It is made with pinto beans and rice on a whole wheat tortilla with a side of rice. The burrito is huge and less than 5 bucks!

• DoroTheExplorer's Profile Photo

Royal Thai: good thai, but meager portions

by DoroTheExplorer Updated Jan 19, 2006

Given the size of this town, there are a lot of Thai restaurants. Most of my friends and I prefer Royal Thai. The food is very very good. I like most everything I have tried from the menu. They have several different grades of spiciness for the picky eaters. There is one level that I don?t think is on the menu which is "Thai hot"--the spiciest, of course. The restaurant is very clean and often quiet. Service is prompt and polite.

My only complaint is that portion size seems rather small compared with what you can get at other restaurants, Thai or not. The bill is also a bit high (for a college-student budget) for the portion size. However, in my opinion, the flavorsome taste of the food merits sporadic visits.

Favorite Dish: I wish I could remember what my favorite dish is called. I think it is Garlic Beef or Lemongrass Beef. Ask the waiter. It's definitely "Something" Beef and it is a very frequently ordered dish from the specials part of the menu. The waiter should know what you are talking about.

• DoroTheExplorer's Profile Photo

Taco Roco: late-night Mexican

by DoroTheExplorer Updated Jan 3, 2006

I go to this place mainly for a post-bars meal, after someone else in my group of friends says that they are craving it. On weekend nights, it is one of the few places still open after 2am. I think it closes at about 3am on those nights. The crowd at that time is a wide assortment of drunken patrons coming from different bars. Seating is limited so if the place is crowded (or if one of my friends is super drunk and needs to get home now!), we get our food to go.

My friends who come from San Diego and live in SLO now like this place best out of all the Mexican food joints here, and their gauge for “real Mexican food” is better than mine since they grew up closer to the Mexican -U.S.border.

There are two other Taco Roco locations in SLO (3230 Broad and 11560 Los Osos Valley Road) but the one at 281 Santa Rosa is the only one open so late.

Favorite Dish: I almost always get a carne asada burrito with cheese and ask for extra extra extra guacamole. I'm not sure if that's on the menu that you see on the wall right when you walk in. If I do order from the menu, I get the Downtown with chicken as the meat.

Oasis: moroccan food

by MStars Written Jan 14, 2004

This place has geat ambience. . . the ceiling is completely draped, lots of tapestries and pillows. There are even belly dancers that perform until 9 o' clock.

Favorite Dish: There was this appetizer sampler that was very good. . .

They have a light dinner section and a dinner special section. . .

They even serve imported moroccan beer.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

GOLDEN CHINA RESTAURANT: "ALL YOU CAN EAT" CHINESE BUFFET

by travelgourmet Updated Oct 6, 2010

GOLDEN CHINA RESTAURANT

Walking around San Luis Obispo at the lunch hours and the aromas of cooking foods fill the air from the many restaurants, pubs, and bars on the main street, Higuera. All that walking in the morning can build up a hunger in one and the scent of Chinese food wafting through the air, caught my nose.

Walking inside the Golden China Restaurant, I went to the long tables of Chinese dishes filled with many different types of foods, from rice and noodles to beef & broccoli and Egg Foo Young. Oh, I didn't see my Kung Pao Chicken or the Mu Shu Pork that I crave, but it looked decent and inviting. I tried many of the dishes and although the flavors started to all taste the same there were several that stood out. All in all, not bad for all you can eat Chinese food.

Favorite Dish: I tried the Egg Foo Young first because that to me is a good indicator of quality and I must admit that the dish was done quite well. The egg was kept a little moist and the flavors all came through. A beef & broccoli dish was to my liking because the broccoli was al dente and the beef had a nice sauce. Surprised to see vegetable tempura but there it was with onion rings and sweet potato slices. The Wontons were nice as well. I felt that the soft noodles were done to perfection.

The problem is that many of the dishes were without a sauce as the sauces were separated and you had to try about five different sauces to find the one that seemed to fit the dish. Once the right combination was found, the different dishes had a more pronounced flavor all it's own. As I said before, not bad for all you can eat Chinese.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

F.MCLINTOCKS SALOON: THE BEST STEAK AROUND

by travelgourmet Written Apr 22, 2010

A STEAK IS A STEAK TILL YOU TRY F.MCLINTOCKS

Heading for the coast of California near Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo? Well, right in the midst of the ocean and sand to the Mission in SLO sits a must do restaurant if you love steak or western theme diners. F.MCLINTOCKS SALOON & DINING HOUSE is off Hwy 101 in Shell Beach. You can't miss their signage, a big carved wood cowboy.

Now, if you don't have the time to wait for 4pm to roll around, then San Luis Obispo's F.MCLINTOCKS SALOON is for you. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are served at this location. It may not be as nice or interesting location as Shell Beach but it is in downtown SLO. The luncheon menu not only has western style foods but also great sandwiches and that ever lovin' Rib-Eye Steak, medium rare, please. Breakfast starts at 7:00am, Lunch and Dinner at 11:30am with Dinner ending at 9:00pm.

Favorite Dish: Hold onto your hats! Turkey Nuts! Yep, ya heard right pardner. NUTS! They are a hit with the diners and patrons gobble up over 10,000 pounds of Nuts a year. Ouch! Bad pun! Of course, a great Rib-Eye with all the fixin's taste mighty good too, pilgrim..

• Seniors

• SloCo Pasty Co.: This place is a real treat!

by afrumes Written Dec 17, 2011

This restaurant has the feel of a homey pub in England but such great food. The owners are the sweetest people who clearly care about the food and people. The food is called a pasty, a traditional Cornish meat pie.

Favorite Dish: I loved the Oggy Pasty and the caramel apple dessert was epic. Great selection of beers on tap.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• sophisticate's Profile Photo

Big Sky: The best!

by sophisticate Written Mar 31, 2004

Big Sky is the local's favorite in San Luis Obispo, offering unique dishes prepared with organic ingredients. Combining the flavors of Southern, Carribean and Californian cuisine, Big Sky always provides something new and delicious.

Favorite Dish: Everything's good. Definitely try the corn bread and the chocolate cake.

• Museum Visits
    • Business Travel

Firestones: Mmm barbecue

by MStars Written Dec 28, 2003

first time i saw it i thought it was the tires, but this is a loud lively place with REALLY GOOD FOOD. Supposedly they have good salads, but i always order meat. the basket of fries, a whole lot of fries.

very reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: tri tip sandwich. . .. very tender, good bbq sauce

pork rib meal. . . if you're really hungry

abc burger. . .burger w/ swiss cheese, avocado, tomato

grilled chicken. . . again, love the bbq sauce

can't not have their seasoned fries

• MStars's Profile Photo

Coldstone Creamery: so good ice cream

by MStars Written Jan 14, 2004

I thought this was a local thing, until i saw them popping up everywhere in the bay area. they serve plain ice cream that they freshly mix right in front of you your choice of fruits, nuts, toppings, etc.

Favorite Dish: cheesecake w/ raspberry or strawberry mix in in a waffle cone.

thai palace: thai food

by MStars Written Dec 28, 2003

for such a small town, there is a plethora of restaurants to choose from. but this is the only place i go for thai food. very yummy. but from experience it seems you get more food if you eat there than getting take out. it's a small warm space with a loud water fountain.

Favorite Dish: pad thai
    lemongrass and coconut soup
    thai iced tea
    the eggplant dish

• Mo's Smokehouse Barbecue: It ain't Barbecue if it ain't got smoke!

by DickCMason Written Apr 15, 2007

Mo's doesn't actually barbecue their meat. There is only one real barbecue joint I have found in Central Coast California to this point and Mo's ain't it. Barbecue requires that the meat is cooked at low temperatures by indirect heat and needs to have smoke. Mo's uses some sort of liquid smoke process as I understand it.

I can't imagine what gives Mo the right to declare himself any sort of an expert on barbecue after going on vacation on the south, Californians simply don't know barbecue; at least not without intensive study.

• J. D. Boone's Smokehouse: The only REAL barbecue on the Central Coast

by DickCMason Written Apr 15, 2007

Big Mama produces the only REAL barbecue I've been able to find since I moved to the Central Coast. It's oak smoked (not mesquite), but it's still pretty good, especially considering what passes for barbecue in this area. The service is generally good, especially if you go early in the week and tip well (thursday, friday and saturday they get swamped at dinner, so they're likely to run out of food, and they'll be rushed to help everyone that's their).

Favorite Dish: I like the pulled pork. It's beautiful, tender and delicious with coleslaw on top and South Carolina Sauce.

• Nor_Cal_Brad's Profile Photo

Woodstock's Pizza: Tasty Pizza in Downtown SLO

by Nor_Cal_Brad Updated Nov 17, 2006
    Woodstock's Pizza in SLO

Woodstock's Pizza has tasty pizza and is very conveniently located if you are in Downtown SLO. The place is usually filled with college kids, but there are also plenty of families that come in here; the atmosphere is very inviting. This is some of the better pizza in San Luis Obispo, and they also have appetizers, salads, and desserts (the CinnaBread is very good - basically a thin, medium sized pizza crust with cinnamon and frosting on top).

Favorite Dish: There are so many good choices, it's hard to choose just one favorite. I would say I like the Woodstock's Special the best, but almost everything here tastes great. Th Woodstock Special has 5 toppings, and I believe they are Sausage, Canadian Bacon, Mushrooms, Green Peppers, and Onions. **** HOWEVER, a new pizza has come out at Woodstock's since I was there last, called the FireBird. This pizza is for lovers of spicy food - it has FireSauce (Marinara Spiked w/Hot Sauce), Spicy Hot Chicken, Jalapenos, Red Onions & Extra Cheese. This may become my new favorite, but I cannot personally recommend it until I try it.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: San Luis Obispo

Comments

San Luis Obispo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of San Luis Obispo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Luis Obispo sightseeing.

View all San Luis Obispo hotels