Mission San Luis Obispo De Tolosa, San Luis Obispo
Founded by Father Junipero Serra in 1772, this was the fifth of the 21 Catholic missions founded in what was then called "Alta California". Named for the Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse, this is the only mission with an L-shaped church.
It's located haflway between San Diego and Monterey. This was wild territory back then, full of bears who caused much trouble for the Indians and Spanish alike.
In 1834, the Mexican government began selling off the old missions. But in the 1860s, President Lincoln officially turned them back over to the Church. Since then, most have been restored. To this day, Mission San Luis Obispo remains an active church, as well as a historic site.
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa is one of the missions to give birth (and name) to a town. It was established on 9/1/1772. Among California's missions, Mission SLO is the only one that still has the original facade. Also, Mission SLO is a road-side mission; the plaza in front of it was the old #101 highway.
The mission was built in 1772 but destroyed by an earthquake in 1830.
It can be freely visited. The most interesting things to see are the indian artifacts.
There is a pleasant walk to do around the mission.
Wonderful old California Mission where you can tour or attend daily or weekend mass. Very peaceful and spiritual. Garden in back is lovely. Museum houses Chumash Indian artifacts and details about the 18th century California life. Open from 9-5
This is the main attraction in San Luis Obispo. This mission was founded in 1772 by Father Junipero Serra. The ancient and historic architecture is pretty interesting to see. The mission is not as big as the one in Santa Barbara, but it is still worth a quick look. There are also some artifacts inside from early settlers of the region.