San Pedro Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in San Pedro

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

The Grinder Restaurant: Cooking great since 1968~

by Yaqui Updated Mar 25, 2013

The food, service, and prices were great. Will come back here again. Here is some history of the restaurant.

Everything about the original Grinder was a change from the early 1960's coffee shop, right down to the name. The founders wanted to focus on specialty hamburgers in their new coffee shop, with an emphasis on freshness. The elements of ground coffee, ground beef and freshness led to the name Grinder.

Co-founder and President Bert Blender brought to the Grinder three generations of operational experience from his family's residence-inn near the banks of the Danube in Sigmaringen, Germany. Blender and his partners used their operational expertise to establish a formula for affordable, fine, fresh food to serve to people throughout Southern California.

From the start, the founders departed from the brightly-lighted plastic monotony of a typical 60's coffee shop and created restaurants with warm colors and soft lighting.

• Photography

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

22nd Street Landing Sport Fishing: Great Food, Service and Views~

by Yaqui Updated Mar 25, 2013

Frank Hall was a World War 11 hero who served as a bomber pilot flying B-17’s over Germany. He was shot down three times and miraculously escaped from the Germans each time. After the war he ran a fishing boat called "Sharpshooter" and in 1963 he bought the original Skipper’s 22nd Street Landing which was founded in 1938. He operated Skipper's out of two trailers next to a fast-food stand called Googie's.

Both businesses shared a common dirt parking lot and were very successful in spite of the simple setting. In 1986 the Port of Los Angeles informed Frank that in order for him to renew his lease with them, he would have to construct a 16,000 square foot commercial building on the site which would include a large restaurant on the top floor. Dick Mannila, a Vietnam Veteran who was medically retired from the Marine Corps was hired to build the project.Dick had successfully built restaurants around the nation as a partner in Borel Restaurant Corporation which eventually grew to 31 restaurants doing business as the Rusty Scupper, Borel's and Nightwatch. The restaurants were sold to Nestle's Food Company in 1978. The present building was built in 1989.

• starrlot's Profile Photo

The Whale and Ale: The Whale and Ale

by starrlot Updated Dec 9, 2007

An English pub and restaurant in the middle of San Pedro. Having been to England, I can say this is the closest I have to come to feeling like I was back in England, the only thing missing was the English accent.

I went out of my way to dine on their beef wellington and I was not disappointed. I would have preferred that they not have covered it in a gravy like sauce, but it was absolutely to die for and perfectly prepared. The service was great, and atmosphere was comfortable.

I do with it wasn't located in such a run down part of San Pedro. I felt really uncomfortable parking my car and getting back to my car. Not exactly a nice part of the neighborhood, but as I was told, the area is patrolled fairly well.

Favorite Dish: Beef Wellington

• Disabilities

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Neil's Pasta & Seafood Grill : Excellent Cuisine By A Chef From Ischia

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Sep 14, 2006

Neil's Pasta & Seafood Grill

This is a little "find". My sister and I discovered it one day when we went to San Pedro just to do something different. We walked up and down the streets looking for a place to eat and hit upon this one which is away from the tourist street. We both loved it. I go there at least once every time I visit my sister. She and her husband have taken tons of friends there and they all love it.

Neil, whose real name is Anello, is from Ischia, Italy. So he is the real thing in Italian cooking. I even had a chance to speak limited Italian with him.

For citysearch reviews:

Favorite Dish: Favorite Dish: Since the first time that I had lasagna there, the chef and owner, Neil, has changed it in response to his customers requests--leave out the peas--and it isn't as good as far as I am concerned. So the second time I went this time in California I ordered the chicken Oscar. Wow. Delicious. It was such a large portion that I split it with my sister.

Try the lemoncello dessert or the lemon tartufo. I am not a big tiramisu fan, but I tried it. It was better than most, but still not as good as Chez Antoine in Aix.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: San Pedro

Comments

San Pedro Restaurants

Reviews and photos of San Pedro restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Pedro sightseeing.