Located in Angels Gate Park is the Korean Friendship Bell. It sits in a park like setting overlooking a fantastic view of the ocean. A fitting place for it.
The inscription on the bell (not easy to read, but I think I got it):
The people of the Republic of Korea present this bell to the People of the United States of America in celebration of the American Bicentennial Jubilee and in commemoration of a century of friendship and trust between our two peoples. The people of United States have built up on the foundation of their pioneer spirit and aspiration for independence a free and prosperous nation on a new continent. Their achievements serve as an impetus and inspiration for the devotion of all mankind. The traditional amity between our two peoples has been established upon this shared faith in freedom and independence.
When Korea suffered under the yoke of foreign rule, the people of the United States came forward as encouraging friends with the victory of the United States in World War II, Korea unflagging patriotic struggle initially attained the goal of national liberation.
In serving to preserve freedom the United States and The Republic of Korean are inseparable allies linked by these forged in blood. This is a fraternity of mutual; trust, which shall remain forever enhanced. May this bell ring and sound forth. The hope and resolve of our two nations in their common devotion to finding prosperity, liberty, and peace.
Facility Hours of Operation:
Angels Gate Park: Sunrise to Sunset
Angels Gate Office hours vary.
Typical hours: Monday - Friday: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm;
Saturday, Sunday: By Appointment. Holidays - Closed
This is a neat statue. Something about the 1930's Art Deco period, it just one of my favorite styles.
The plaque reads: Erected by the Federal ARt Project Incorperation with the inter service ClubCouncel of San Pedro and the Playground and Recreation Department of the City of Los Angeles 1936
Cabrillo Pier was built in 1969 and renovated in 1988. This San Pedro pier extends out 1,200 feet into San Pedro Harbor. It is just inside the north end of the Los Angeles Harbor breakwater. A boat pier built during the depression as a government work project existed in the harbor for approx. 40 years. City of Los Angeles in 1987 took control of pier operations from the County of Los Angeles and infused capital to fix the popular structure. It is enjoyed by power walkers, strollers, joggers, fishermen, and those who just want to take in the beautiful veiws. Not the prettiest of piers, but it offers a great place for local or visitors to enjoy.
There is parking near the pier and the pier is accessible to wheelchair riders.
Called Whalers Walk because of the fantastic views it has of the ocean, marina, and beach. Lots of wonderful benches to sit on to enjoy the outdoors. Lots of young adults were hanging out and just having a good time with going into the ocean. A couple were riding their bikes and some were taking a power walk.
When we arrived and checked into our room, we immediately for a walk along the marina. What a excellent place to take a walk, ride a bike or roller blade along this pristine marina and the views are fantastic. It is home to hundreds of beautiful boats.
Cabrillo Plaza is a facility and area where weddings and local outdoor activities happen. They have a huge lawn and areas to sit where you can enjoy the beautiful views of the marina, beach, or ocean.
Built in 1941, this Public Works Administration (WPA) "Streamlined Moderne" building was the base for an auto ferry which crossed the channel at regular intervals from San Pedro to a sister building on Terminal Island. It served navy personnel, fishing industry employees, and people who wished to avoid the long circuitous route through Wilmington and Industrial Long Beach. With the completion of the Vincent Thomas Bridge in 1963, ferry operations ceased, and the building became an overflow office for the Harbor Department.
Saved from deterioration by historically-minded citizens, the building has been beautifully restored, and now houses the largest maritime museum in California. This 75,000 square foot facility features more than 700 ship and boat models, a variety of navigational equipment and an operating amateur radio station. Exhibits include Native American artifacts relating to the sea, ship figureheads, maritime arts and crafts and an 18-foot scale model of the Titanic. Historical exhibits of the whaling industry, tall ships, commercial shipping, the Navy, the Merchant Marine and recreational sailing.
June 27, 1940 the keel was laid at New York Naval Shipyard, in Brookl New York. It was launched on August 27 1942 by Sponsor Mrs. Mary A. Wallace, wife of the Vice President. USS Iowa has served this country proudly from 1942, till it was decommissioned 26 October 1990. It has a very fast and amazing history. Now USS Iowa serves as a maritime museum that has 46,000 square feet of teak decks, enormous engine rooms, huge galley that fed 3,000 sailors a day, a sophisticated gunnery, fire control room, armor belt over 16-inches thick, and, a 16 inch, 50 caliber rifles that could hurl a 2,700 pound shell almost 24 miles. U.S.S. Iowa holds the record at 26.9 miles.
You can either do a self tour or take advantage of a docent led tour. It is located in amazing harbor and views.
This San Pedro pier extends out 1,200 feet into San Pedro Harbor. It is just inside the north end of the Los Angeles Harbor breakwater. The pier was built in 1969 and anglers can almost always expect to catch some mackerel, a few tom cod (white croaker) or maybe even a halibut or two. If you fish the far end of the pier, along the inside waters adjacent to the breakwater, you might even catch a rock frequenting species. There is parking near the pier and the pier is accessible to wheelchair riders.
"Make sure to read the caution signs of which fish is safe to eat!"
This 6 foot statue is a smaller version of the original 25 foot statue in San Diego sculpted by J. Seward Johnson. This was sculpted after the famous Times Square kiss, on V-J Day by photograph Alfred Eisenstaedt, which was published in Life Magazine in 1945. It is on display possibly for only a limited time next to the USS Iowa.
1901 – 1990
of the ILWU
Harry Bridges was an Australian seaman who came ashore and started longshoring in San Francisco in 1922. Unsafe working conditions, corrupt hiring practices and low wages convinced Harry to join with other waterfront workers along the Pacific Coast to form a Union to fight for and protect workers interests. Their successful efforts led to the Big Strike of 1934 and creation of a union-controlled hiring hall, uniform wages and working conditions for all longshore workers on the Pacific Coast, and the formation of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union.
In his unwavering commitment to militant, democratic trade unionism, Harry Bridges represented the best of the generation of visionaries who built the modern labor movement. A leader of international stature, he was also in the forefront of major social movements for equality, civil liberties, and world peace.
Under his leadership as ILWU International President until his retirement in 1977, ILWU transformed labor relations on the West Coast docks, providing dignity and security for workers through pioneering health and pension benefits while helping to set the stage for modernization of cargo-handling technology and to establish a model for how mechanization could be achieved in a humane manner.
Panel 3 [on bench]:
Donated by Southern California Pensioners
& ILWU Locals 13, 63, & 94
July 28, 2006
Lest We Forget
We, the members of Locals 13, 63, 94 and the Southern Californian Pensioners Group
of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union hereby solemnly honor
the following workers who were fatally injured aboard ship or on the dock
while engaged in their duties along the shore. They are gone but they will be remembered.
American Merchant Marine Veterans
Wall of Honor
National Maritime Day, May 22, 2003
List of state and local government officials
Gene Frank Construction, Builder
Randall B. Montgomery, Engraver
Jerry Sturm, JSA, Design Architect
American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial Committee, Inc.
Lists of Officers, Directors, Committee Members and Advisers
Lists of "Platinum," "Gold" and "Silver" Contributors
Additional inscriptions on Honor Roll panels:
The committee offers its sincerest thanks to Captain Arthur R. Moore for allowing us to use his book, A Careless Word ... a Needless Sinking as a reference guide for this memorial wall, and his invaluable assistance in editing our lists, as well as for the many years of difficult research he spent compiling these records.
The names on the memorial walls are the results of several sources of information, but probably not complete. As we are made aware of additional names, we will add those names to the walls in a separate section of these walls of honor. We are also aware that there are many unidentified and unknown merchant mariners who were lost in service to their country aboard merchant ships who will never be identified. This memorial honors the memory of these unknown heroes.
The plaque reads:
Seal of the U.S.S. Los Angeles: 1945 - 1977
U.S.S. Los Angeles
Heavy Cruiser CA-135
To the personnel and ships
of the United States Navy
Anchors - loan United States Navy
Mainmast & mooring bitts - donated by Joseph S. Schapiro
Capstan cover - donated by San Pedro Bicentennial Committee
Rigging – donated by Coordinated Equipment Company
Services – Roy Coats & Charles Slocombe
Plaque – C. M. Bailey, U.S.N. Ret.
Dedicated 1st December 1977
Tom Bradley, Mayor
John S. Gibson, Jr., Councilman
15th District, City of Los Angeles
In 1892 Southern California Fish Corp. was the first cannery in Los Angeles Harbor. In 1903 a technique of preparing and canning was developed to can sardines, mackerel, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna and albacore. In 1912 the first fresh fish market was introduced in San Pedro and along with other markets that followed, they eventually supplied fresh and iced fish throughout our nation.
Before long, flotillas of purse seine boats were sailing down from northern waters to fish in San Pedro. By 1920 there was a large fleet of fishing boats and methods of fishing such as purse seine, lampara, jig, live bait, gill net, mackerel scoopers and long line boats. Los Angeles Harbor became the largest fishing port in the nation. The fishing industry in San Pedro was originated primarily by European and Asian fishermen, each bringing fishing knowledge from their native lands.
In 1936, following the Depression, 6000 people were directly employed in the fishing industry. Its payroll was the largest in San Pedro, approximately three-quarters of a million dollars per month. The industry was at its peak during World War II. During the fifties, sardines and mackerel gradually diminished causing the decline of the industry in San Pedro.
In 1992 the “Fishermen’s Fiesta” committee planned to erect a Fishermen’s Memorial. In 1995, a new volunteer committee of fishermen’s descendents and fishermen was formed to see the project to completion. This beautiful memorial was then conceived with a bronze fisherman and a memorial wall to preserve the history of the fishing industry. With the assistance of our city’s 15th District Councilman, Rudy Svorinich Jr., L.A. Department of Recreation and Parks, L.A. Cultural Affairs Department and through the generosity of the Community of San Pedro, this memorial became a reality.
Point Fermin Park consists of 37 landscaped acres of tree-shaded lawns, sheltered pergolas, colorful gardens and a promenade along the edge of the palisade. The vantage point atop the rugged bluffs affords a breathtaking view of the coast toward Santa Catalina Island. You may even be able to spot playful dolphin and harbor seals from the cliffs. There are picnic areas, a playground and a small amphitheater. Two trails west of the area lead to the beach and tide pools below.
This scenic park is the southernmost point in Los Angeles. The area was given it's name by the British explorer George Vancouver, who visited here in 1793 and decided to thank Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen for his hospitality at the mission in Carmel. Point Fermin Park is one of the few places on the peninsula where Monarch butterflies spend their winters. This lovely park provides spectacular views of the coast and Channel Islands and is a perfect site for picnics or a leisurely stroll. http://www.sanpedro.com/sp_point/ptfmpk.htm