San Simeon What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in San Simeon

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

San Simeon

by kiwigal_1 Written Mar 16, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I was here in October and the weather was quite cool, especially in the evenings. It got quite foggy too. I wore jeans and t-shirts and jacket for the evening.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I am sure you could purchase any of these here if you needed however not too sure if I saw a chemist or a doctor anywhere...

Photo Equipment: Plenty of this at the major attractions.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Packing List

by Krystynn Written Sep 12, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Personally speaking, I think it is wise to bring along both warm and cold weather clothings when packing for a place like San Simeon. A cool, foggy morning can be followed (a few hours later) by a warm afternoon! I kid you not. Because of the close proximity of the Pacific Ocean to this coastal town, the climate here is somewhat temperate-like (if you know what I mean).

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: These are the absolute necessities. So DON'T ever forget to pack them along!

Toothpaste
    Toothbrush
    Contact lens equipment and spare glasses. You might also wish to consider bringing along
    disposable contact lenses especially if you are going to be at a place with poor water supplies...
    Makeup (I never leave home without it!)
    Razor
    Hair care products (brushes, comb, blow dryer, hair gel, hair spray... Get the picture?)

Photo Equipment: These days, I would bring along at least TWO types of cameras with me and load them with TWO different types of films i.e.

ASA200 film (for day) and, the high speed Kodak 800 film for museums or places that DO NOT ALLOW FLASH photography (like the Hearst Castle, for instance).

So, the cameras that I'd bring along are:

the Olympus mju Zoom (with wide-angle lens) which comes in a cool silver metallic color. I
    usually use this camera for day photography.

the Pentax 150 Zoom which I use for places that DOES NOT allow flash photography.

Sometimes, I also bring along the ultra-small Canon IXUS Zoom camera - smaller than the size
    of my palm (and it also comes in a cool metallic silver shade). You can even hang this camera
    around your neck and it'd still look cool on you. :-) This camera requires a special type of film (APS) to be used.

Miscellaneous: DON'T forget to bring along your much-treasured ATM card to withdraw cash. Yes, no need to rush to the money-changers to change all your currencies into American dollars before your trip.

And DON'T use your Visa or Mastercard to withdraw cash.

This is considered a CASH ADVANCE and you'd be slapped with a HEFTY fee whereas if you were to use YOUR own ATM card, you will NOT be charged for any fees. In fact, you WILL benefit and enjoy from the low interbank exchange rates. Trust me (I used to work for an American bank).

Just ensure that you adhere to the following steps:

Flip to the back of your local ATM card, do you see the logos 'Cirrus', 'Plus', 'The Exchange', 'Maestro' etc on it?

If the answer is 'yes', then you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

Why? Because you can withdraw cash from any ATM machines in U.S.A., no matter how obscure the town you're at is.

If you use this method, you'd also save alot from the interbank exchange rates. Money changers will charge you much, much more compared to a bank.

I've been using this method countless of times before and so far, no ATM machines in this world have failed me.... Yes, even at the remotest village in Africa or China! :-)) Have a great trip!

'All the above is, of course, a gross simplification. There are deeper reasons to travel - itches and tickles on the underbelly of the unconscious mind. We go where we need to go, and then try to figure out what we're doing there.' - Jeff Greenwald 'Shopping for Buddhas'

Instant Answers: San Simeon

Comments

San Simeon What to Pack

Reviews and photos of San Simeon what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Simeon sightseeing.