The Brown Pelican, Santa Barbara

• rsilva's Profile Photo

The Brown Pelican: The Brown Pelican is beautiful at night

by rsilva Updated Nov 19, 2004

Moon

I noticed there already are a couple of reviews for this restaurant, but I thought I should add mine as well as it reflects a dinner experience and my opininon is slightly different from the others I have read.

The restaurant is located right on the beach and the view is very nice. We were lucky to be there on a full moon night. The moon was actually very bright and the reflection on the sea was a very nice "extra".

There is some kind of river, creek, leading to the sea, so there were a lot of frogs making noise, which was actually fun and strange at the same time as you could hear both the waves and the frogs. Quite interesting.

Focusing more on the actual restaurant. One thing that I liked about the US was that the service was almost always good and efficient. At this restaurant the service was not very good, the waiters did not seem to enjoy what they were doing and it did show. They were slow and if you wanted to order something (like more drinks, etc) you would have to wait 10-15 minutes and I remember I had to go inside to actually ask for the bill as no one came to our table.

The food was OK, my girlfriend got to eat some Clam Chowder even if it was not on the menu (I think it was a lunch-only item) and I got a nice salmon with a pistache crust on it, which was good. I also remember her not liking the Margarita.

Overall, i think it was quite expensive for the food/service they offered (about 40$/person for just a starter, main and drinks). However, the view is very nice and if you are not in a hurry, it's a nice place to spend an evening.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the pistache covered salmon.

Instant Answers: Santa Barbara

Comments

View all Santa Barbara hotels