Santa Catalina Island Tourist Traps

• Goner's Profile Photo

Walk Instead

by Goner Written Dec 8, 2003

Casino Walls

You can rent golf carts to drive around town (cars are limited to residents) but the carts cost $30/hr. A little too expensive and many roads are off limits to carts, anyway the town is small enough to walk.

Fun Alternatives: Pick up a city map at one of the hotels, then you can do your own walking tour.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Tour Bus

by GracesTrips Updated Jan 10, 2008

We saw these dated buses that reminded you of what buses looked liked back in the 50's and 60's that were taking loads of people on 2 hour, 4 hour and all day tours of Catalina. I'm not sure what you will get to see on these tours. The island doesn't appear to be inhabited much. I know there are buffalo on the island and probably isolated to a section of it. The only town on the island is Avalon which really isn't a very big town. You can probably walk the entire length of the town in 30-45 minutes. Anyway, going back to the buses, we thought this might be of interest but when we saw how much it cost, I thought it was too much. Besides, do you want to spend 2 hours, 4 hours or even all day on a bus and looking at who knows what?

Fun Alternatives: I think you would be better off renting a golf cart at $10 an hour. At least you are not tied to a schedule and you can get a good sense of what the island has to offer.

• ashmantoronto's Profile Photo

Submarine: the brochure lies!

by ashmantoronto Written Nov 12, 2008

Upon coming to Catalina Island, my friends and I realized that we only had a few hours to spend on the Island (a day trip from Newport Beach, also possible from LA) so we had to pick our things-to-do very carefuly and be financially smart.
    We had a choice of either snorkelling or going on a submarine and for some reason we picked the submarine instead. DO NOT MAKE OUR MISTAKE!
    It was boring and quite honestly pathetic. It was so boring that my friend fell asleep and it was so pathetic that the other friend and I decided to make it fun on our own by pretending the submarine was sinking (just imagine two mid-20s playing like they were 6 again).
    What made us fall from this trap were the pictures from the brochure and ads that they head...colourful fishes, giant sharks, pretty aquamarine life...it was far from that. You had to pay extra too for the fish pellets to 'attract' the fishes. The fishes were just giant Tilapias.

Unique Suggestions: Pretend the submarine was sinking and just run around like crazy. Seriously it can be fun.
    Also sing 'Yellow Submarine' (funny, the submarine IS yellow)

Fun Alternatives: Snorkelling (though we did not have the chance to do it instead), at least you'll get to interact one on one with aqaumarine life, unlike being on a submarine....could have watched fishes in an aquariumium instead.

I highly recommend parasailing too. Great way to see the island from a bird's eyeview, worth the money.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Aquarium

Instant Answers: Santa Catalina Island

Comments

Santa Catalina Island Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Santa Catalina Island tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Santa Catalina Island sightseeing.

View all Santa Catalina Island hotels