Sausalito Restaurants

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

SCOMA'S Sea Food Restaurant: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood

by Waalewiener Updated Oct 13, 2004

SCOMA'S Restaurant.

We did not eat at this restaurant so I can't give an opinion ,on the food .
    It was a very busy place ,I did notice that the parking was very limited at this resaurant
    It is located on the main street in Sausalito but it is build on poles in the water and the view of the Bay from here looks fantastic.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Christophe: Are you sure we're not in Paris?

by jessicadf Updated Feb 15, 2004

Photo courtesy Christophe's website

All the atmosphere of a Parisian bistro, without the cigarette smoke. Very tasty, traditional and contemporary French dishes with a short, but tasty wine list. For the quality of food they serve, and the intimate and friendly atmosphere, their prices are amazingly low.

Get there between 5:30 and 6, and you can have the early bird special for $14.95. After that, there's a prix fixe menu for $22, or of course there is an a la carte menu.

Enough off the beaten path for tourists not to find, this is a hang out for locals in the know.

Favorite Dish: On Valentine's evening, my sweetie brought me to this gem. We'd meant to go there so many times, but we just hadn't gotten around to it. That will NOT happen again. What lovely staff, delicious food and a comfortable atmosphere. The meal included, everything wonderful:

Lobster bisque
    Green & white asparagus avec brioche heart and tomato sauce
    Endive salad with black figs, watercress, blue cheese and lemon vinaigrette (the BEST!!)
    Monk fish en brioche with mashed beet tartlettes, haricots-verts tied in bacon
    Dark and light chocolate mousse with strawberry hearts

Mark's meal differed in that he had the veal medalions and apple slices with calvados reduction instead of the fish.

And a great bottle of French red wine, of course...

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Excellent Italian Seafood place

by Gypsystravels Updated Sep 18, 2007

My Seafood Fettuccini

We wanted to enjoy a beautiful view with great food, and this place does not dissappoint. A landmark in Sausalito, Scoma's is a wonderful place to enjoy a fantastic meal. Ask for a seat in the back dinnig area with its open bay view windows you'll be happy you did.

The food is first rate. Excellent, fresh and inspiring.

Favorite Dish: We started our meal with an excellent selection of seafood appetizer with crab cakes, tuna, salmon and large shrimp.

I followed my appetizer with the Scoma's Seafood Fettuccini. The fettuccini was excellent and the seafood oh so yum. The plate included scallops (my favorite seafood), shrimp and mussels on a heavenly sauce. One caution though, the dish was huge, too much for me to finish. My friend enjoyed a special dish, the hailibut with almond encrusted on a bed of raviolli.

We enjoyed our meal with a glass of wine. I had the Pinot Grigio while M had a glass of Reisling.

I was very pleased and would definitely return

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Don't miss the Ice cream here,it is great

by Waalewiener Written Oct 13, 2004

Lori buying Ice cream.

Well I forgot to take the name down of this Ice cream store ,It was in the main street opposite from the waterfront ,you can't miss it ,you will walk by it if you walk along the waterfront.

Favorite Dish: Ice cream was great ,just one BIG scoop ,I think we paiid $7 dollars for two Ice cream .not cheap but hey it had a sucre cone ,and guess what ,chocolate covered cone , well you can bet that Hansi liked it hahaha .LOVED it.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

il Piccolo Caffe: Dine by the Water's Edge

by VeronicaG Updated Apr 4, 2011

il Piccolo

Il Piccolo looked like a unique restaurant worth exploring, but it was an ice cream cone we were hoping to find. We had only a few minutes before our tour would board the bus.

As we ventured up the walkway, the restaurant looked more and more interesting. A large tree gave us a brief respite from the sun and a small, crowded outdoor area seemed welcoming with its pretty planters, greenery and wonderful view of the Bay.

We discovered the ice cream inside. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the attention of someone in order to serve us, so we had to leave without our intended snack. I'm sure it would have been delicious, though!

il Piccolo opens daily at 7am. Specialties are home baked breads and Italian pastries. Stop by for lunch and enjoy a sandwich and soup or try the crepes for breakfast at this Tuscan style coffee house. A mini art gallery spices up the interior!

• Seniors
    • Singles

Poggio Trattoria: Tasty Italian food with great people watching

by jessicadf Written May 22, 2004

Photo courtesy of Poggio website

Poggio Trattoria is a tasty new addition to Sausalito. Beautifully designed, the ambiance is warm and inviting. Outside seating is available, with heaters to ensure your comfort.

The food is very tasty, and the prices moderate, which is surprising for a good restaurant that's right on the main street of Sausalito, a touristy town.

It's always busy, and reservations are HIGHLY recommended.

Do try some of their signature cocktails while you're there.

Favorite Dish: I've had a few things so far, and I think my favorites are the roasted pork loin. It melds with its sauces and vegetables absolutely perfectly. For an appetizer, their salad of arugula, toasted walnuts, figs, goat cheese and honey is marvelous.

While they smell wonderful, each time we've had the artichoke, onion and/or pepper fritti, they've been too greasy and could have used more sauce.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Caffe Tutti: A Sausolito Favorite!

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 31, 2007

Caffe Tutti

As we walked from the Bay to Bridgeway Avenue, we passed Caffe Tutti, an Italian restaurant recommended by someone as a great place to eat when in Sausalito.

Since we had only allotted a short time to see the town, we didn't want to have a prolonged lunch, although we were curious about what we had missed.

This restaurant features pizza, pasta, assorted salads, sandwiches, desserts and cappuccino.

We didn't dine here so I can't recommend it personally, but someone who did thought it was worth stopping by.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Lappert's Ice Cream: Ice Cream

by Gypsystravels Updated Sep 18, 2007

The entrance

OMG, if I tell you we were in heaven. There is a HUGE selection of ice creams, yogurts, coffees, teas and all sorts of goodies.

If you are out and about on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and just finished lunch, make sure to skip dessert and head over here for a selection of refreshing treats. You won't regret it.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate!! Yum!! My all time favorite, any variation of chocolate will do please.....

Lapperts Ice Cream: Some of the best ice cream you'll find anywhere

by jessicadf Updated Jul 9, 2003

Tasty ice cream available only here and in one or two other shops, sold by the scoop. Flavors straight from Hawaii including passion fruit, macadamia nuts, coconut, mango and of course chocolate, white chocolate, coffee, etc. Try it - you'll love it.

Avatars: The only place for Marindian food

by jessicadf Updated Jun 2, 2004

Jerk Chicken Enchilada -- mmmmm

This is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. It's tiny, it's family run, there's often a line to get in at lunch and for dinner. There's nothing fancy about the decor. But Kala and Ashok will show you some of the best food you could ever taste.

Avatars is run by an Indian family, with Avatar being the father of the family. Sadly, Avatar died a couple years ago. However his widow, Kala and his nephew, Ashok, still run the restaurant without any other changes.

They claim to make Marindian food (Marin is the name of the county in which this restaurant resides). The first chef was Jamaican, adding a Jamaican flavor to their Indian dishes. Then they decided to use fresh California style ingredients and started making dishes with a slightly Mexican flair.

You can expect to find "punjabi-style" burritos, tostadas and enchiladas, in addition to traditional curries, lassis, home made carrot pickle and chutneys.

Favorite Dish: Jerk style chicken tostada. Take a chappati and place on top of it some jerk-style chicken, melted cheddar cheese, yoghurt sauce, tamarind sauce, carrot pickle, green chutney and fresh fruit chutney and you've got one of the most mouth-watering dishes you can imagine.

My sister's favorite is their lamb-pumpkin enchilada.

And you MUST order dessert. They only have one dessert: a slice of ice-cream pie. The crust is made of chocolate cake crumbs, the ice cream is pistachio with roasted pistachios covering the top. The slice of pie is surrounded by pools of mango, raspberry and rose-petal purees. UNBELIEVABLE.

Feng Nian: Decent Chinese food at a good price

Feng Nian

This place serves good Chinese food. It's got a nice decor as well, and plenty of tables. It's not the best place around, but it's consistently good and, if you're looking for fair prices for food in a pretty expensive tourist town, this is your place. You can get an inexpensive lunch combination and walk away with left-overs.

Favorite Dish: Princess prawns. Mmmm.

Fish & Chips: I love the smell of malt vinegar in the morning

by jessicadf Updated Jul 9, 2003

This place has been there FOREVER. At least, longer than I've been alive. Now, I'm sure they don't have the same owners at this point. However, the fish and chips are just the same, year in, year out. If you're in the mood for some good fish and chips, stop on in. They've also got the local favorite ice cream, Lapperts. Yum!

Favorite Dish: Fish and chips, of course!

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Lighthouse Cafe: A Little Bit of Sweden in California

by riorich55 Updated Nov 14, 2010

Exterior View

I had done a little investigation of places to eat before our trip began and knew that we would probably be in Sausalito in the early afternoon after having arrived late the evening before in San Francisco. We didn't need to hurry to any destination on our first day of vacation since our only confirmed stop was a 7:30 p.m. reservation at a restaurant in Healdsburg in Sonoma County. As it was we had to make an early stop at a shopping center after we picked up our rental car since my glasses got stepped on in the airplane the evening before and were a mess (maybe another story in another tip). Next trip I will remember to bring my 2nd pair. The eye glass store was not able to fix the glasses, but was able to thoroughly scotch tape the frame to the lenses (thankfully it held the entire trip). After another stop at Sue's favorite store, TJ Maxx to pick up an umbrella we were on our way.

The day was rainy, so we drove quickly along the coast, past Cliff House and across the Golden Gate Bridge. I had Sue video a little of the crossing and we made a quick stop on the other side of the bridge to snap a foggy and rainy picture.

Favorite Dish: Now, onto the restaurant. It is located on the main drag going through Sausalito on the north side of the town. You have to pay for parking on Sunday and fortunately we found a place to park a few spots down from the entrance. Parking is 25 cents per 15 minutes.

We were able to secure a table (only 5 in the place) otherwise we would have taken a seat at one of the 10 spots at the counter.

Everything is made fresh. They had 2 cooks at the grill and a lady who waited on the tables and a gentleman cutting the bread and doing other tasks (maybe the owners). Sue had the Danish Lunch Plate which consisted of thinly cut roast beef, 2 danish meatballs, fresh horseradish (grated after you ordered, pickled beats, marinated cucumbers and potato salad. Rich had the Turkey with avocado sandwich also with potato salad. As I am the light eater I actually only had 1/2 the sandwich and some of the potato salad while even Sue had a leftover meatball (we had it the next day as part of our picnic lunch.

As you can see by the food pictures and the interior pictures the food was plentiful and the place was jumping. Worth the stop!!

Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on the weekdays and 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on the weekends.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Scoma's: Scoma's

by goingsolo Updated Jul 17, 2005

Scoma's is a fairly well known seafood restaurant, with a location in Fisherman's Wharf and another just across the bay in Sausalito. It is a casual restaurant that draws large crowds, eager to consume clam chowder in sourdough bowls and fresh seafood.

I didn't go for the clam chowder, even though its the specialty. The fresh seafood plate, although a bit on the costly side, is a good sampling of shrimp, crab and oysters. The crab cakes were the best part of this meal too and I'd highly recommend them. If you can, grab an outdoor table. There are only a handful of them, but, if you beat the crowds, you can enjoy your meal by the water, admiring the scenery of the bay.

The service is extremely prompt. The Sausalito restaurants cater to large numbers of tourists who arrive via tour bus to shuffle along the main street for about an hour before being returned to the Wharf. They know how to move people in and out of the restaurant fairly quickly.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Paradise Bay: Paridise in Sausalito

by Agraichen Updated Oct 15, 2010

How can you not enjoy a venue on SF Bay? The patio is typically crowded on most any day that has no rain.

Favorite Dish: I had crab cakes which were excellent. Others had a salmon salad which had great comments as well. Beer selection is limited but good; mixed drinks came with rave reviews.

• Windsurfing

Instant Answers: Sausalito

Comments

Sausalito Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sausalito restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sausalito sightseeing.