Sequoia National Park, Sequoia National Park

• sim1's Profile Photo

Sequoia National Park

by sim1 Updated Mar 9, 2005

Sequoia National Park

It's now the 6th day of my vacation.....
    Today I am going to Sequoia NP. I enter the park on the south side (Near Visalia) and I ended our trip in Fresno. It took us the whole day to make this tour. Sequoia is a beautiful park: I even liked it better than Yosemite!

There are a lot of tourists in the park (but not as much as in Yosemite). The famous parts of the park were it bit crowded, especially around the General Sherman Tree, but on the whole it was a very relaxing drive.

It's not only the famous big Sequoia trees that make the park beautiful, it's all of it. All those trees, forest, water, animals, viewpoints, etc. It is a park that you must visit when your in California.

Visitors Centers

by Basaic Updated Oct 12, 2012
    Foothills Visitors Center

There are two visitors centers for Sequoia National Park; one is the Foothills Visitors Center and the other is the Lodgepole Visitors Center. I entered the park from the south so the first one I came to was the Foothills Visitors Center. Both centers are good places to get a brochure and newspaper for the park; look over maps; and get recommendations from the helpful rangers on how to best enjoy your visit based on your interests and the amount of time you have to visit. Hours are 9 AM to 5 PM daily from 7 May to Memorial Day and 7 AM to 5 PM from Memorial Day until the park closes for the winter You might want to check the website for changes, however, prior to your visit.

Visitors Center Displays

by Basaic Updated Oct 12, 2012
    Foothills Visitors Center Displays

There are some nice, informative displays about the history of the area, the Sequoia Trees and the wildlife that calls the area home in bothvisitors centers. There is also a film available and a hands-on display for the kids.

• Museum Visits

Hiking Trails

Moro Rock Trail

There are many miles of hiking trails in Sequoia National Park. I was not able to hike very much outside the Foothills Area because when I got to the higher elevations there was too much snow and I did not have any snowshoes. I will describe the trails in more detail in the Sports Tips.

• Hiking and Walking

• smokey24's Profile Photo

Time

by smokey24 Written Nov 30, 2009

When your first embarkement upon Mt. Whitney usually from the east side. Dont do what I did and not take the mountain seriously. Make sure you get up at the crack of dawn and get on that trail at 5:00AM. to make sure you return to your camp(Outpost) before night falls. I had to turn back and I was 1.9mi.s away from summit. - Now I have a reason to return -But now I have MORE unfinished business -So more hiking is in order until I die.

• Camping
    • Hiking and Walking

Generals Highway

Generals Highway

The main road through the park is the Generals Highway. There are several pull offs and attractions along the road. You also access the Giant Forest Road from the highway.

Tunnel Rock

One of the earlier, and fairly popular, stops along Generals Highway in the Foothills Area is Tunnel Rock.

Instant Answers: Sequoia National Park

Comments

View all Sequoia National Park hotels