Places to eat in Solvang

by davesut
    Bulldog Cafe, Solvang, CA
    by marinarena
  • OUT THE WINDOW OR IN THE DOOR, AEBLESKIVER AWAITS
    OUT THE WINDOW OR IN THE DOOR,...
    by travelgourmet

Most Viewed Restaurants in Solvang

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

OLSEN'S DANISH VILLAGE BAKERY: ALMOND CUSTARD KRINGLE KING

by travelgourmet Updated Mar 27, 2009

Going to be in Solvang, California then you must try some Danish pastry. There are many to choose from but you don't have to leave the main street, Mission Drive (Hwy 246) to find the best. Olsen's Danish Village Bakery has every Danish pastry your heart could desire.

I met Bent Olsen and heard his story at the "Taste of Solvang" 17th Annual Food & Wine Festival while he was doing what he loves best, talking about and serving his cakes and pastries to those at the Dessert Showcase Reception. Well, actually Bent loves baking first and most of us that tried his cakes and pastries love his baking as well.

Bent Olsen and his wife Susy have been at the helm since opening the Olsen's Danish Village Baker in 1970. Bent came over in the 1960's from the family run business, a bakery since 1890, to learn English and to bake in the Santa Ynez Valley. He met Susy, go married, and settled in Solvang. His father and mother joined them for six years to help show both Bent and Susy how to run a successful bakery and in time Bent became a master baker.

Favorite Dish: My wife, Sue, says that we have to order the Almond Custard Kringle. I insisted that there are many pastries to try, so we tried a few, all yummy, and then we ordered the large Kringle for pickup the next day. I sure was glad my wife wanted to order the Kringle. Olsen's is open weekdays from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm and on weekends-7:30 am to 7:00 pm.

BEST DANISH BAKERY IN SOLVANG BENT OLSEN AND JULIE VANDECAR AT TASTE OF SOLVANG I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND...ONE OF EACH, PLEASE NO COOKIE MONSTER HERE!!! BENT OLSEN'S, LABOR OF LOVE, KITCHEN

Little Mermaid Restaurant: Pretty good breakfast

by malianrob Updated Jul 24, 2007

We started going to the pancake place that we always go to for breafast but it was so crowded so we came here instead. It is right on Mission Dr and yhet sat us right away.
    They dont have an extensive menu but the food is good, simple, tastey, and averged price. the best part was that we didnt have to wait.

Favorite Dish: We had breakfast here but they also serve lunch and dinner. The omelets were good and very big, enough for two people to share.

Old Danish Food Farm: Fast food

by malianrob Updated Jul 24, 2007

When we first got here the kids where alittle hungry so we wanted a quick snack so that we could continue walking around and sight seeing.
    Here we bought hotdogs and lemonade and water and sodas. They also sell icecream here. The food is pretty good.

Favorite Dish: This place isnt a fancy place its just a place to get a quick snack. No bathroom here either

Tower Pizza: Sports Bar

by malianrob Updated Jul 24, 2007

My friend Kesha and I had all our kids with us and we needed to find a place thats "kid friendly" and it was kinda late in the evening.
    We saw a sign that said pizza so we decided to check it out. It wasnt too far from the Big windmill on Alisal Rd.
    The pizza was very good, we just got pepperoni and cheese but just to warn you the pepperoni was a bit spicey. The kids started to take the pepperonis off. Other than that, it was very good. moderately priced, kid friendly, sold alcohol for the adults, had an arcade for the kids and ther service was good, fast and friendly.

Favorite Dish: The garlic bread was very good and so was the pizza. They do sell other things like pastas and salads but we didnt get that.
    They are also opened pretty late compared to alot of places in the solvang area that seem to close around 5 or 6.

Solvang Restaurant: Aebleskivers

by malianrob Updated Jul 24, 2007

I took a picture of this place because I couldnt beleive the line coming out of here. People were in line for these aebleskivers. I havent yet discovered what these things are but they look like a small piece of pastry (like a small piece of funnel cake) with strawberry topping. I was going to try it out but the line was too long... maybe next time. I will let you know what it is. But it looks like this is the place to be.
    update: ok I feel like an idiot now. Aebleskivers (like the name of this restaurant) are pancake ballstopped with rasberry jam and powdered sugar and OM MY GOSH, they are good.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Paulas pancake house: More than just good pancakes

by malianrob Written Mar 4, 2007

I have heard alot about this place as it has been very higher recommended. I got to say that everything I was told was true. It is very good and we had pancakes of course.
    Its a popular place so be sure to get there with enough time, you might be waiting in line for a while.

Olsen's Danish Village Bakery & Coffee Shop: Danish pastries

by Dabs Updated Oct 28, 2006

Olsen's was the first bakery we saw as we came into town and since it was a little late in the day we decided to stop here so we made sure we got some pastries, it might have been an unpleasant ride home if Kat didn't get her cream filled cookies that she had been talking about ALL day long ;-) I think Olsen's had the best selection of the four bakeries we stopped at.

Favorite Dish: The selection here was overwhelming, it all looked delicious but fattening so I narrowed it down to about a 1/2 dozen items, one a crisp cookie, 1/2 dipped in chocolate with a cream center, another was a long thin crisp waffle cookie with cream inside, an almond paste filled tart, a chocolate covered marshmellow confection, are you hungry yet???

One odd thing was that virtually all the pastries had a thin layer of raspberry jam on the bottom even though it wasn't listed on the descriptions, if you have an aversion to raspberry, make sure to ask before purchasing.

Olsen's Bakery

Solvang Bakery: Danish pastries part IV

by Dabs Written Oct 28, 2006

Solvang Bakery was the last stop on our bakery tour of Solvang, by this time I was sure I had an adequate supply of fresh baked good for myself so I bought a bucket of cookies for a gift, each of the bakery had these white plastic buckets filled with a variety of Danish cookies and there seemed to be a little price fixing going on in Solvang as the bakeries all sold them for $10.95. I tasted a couple (after I gave them to my mother in law of course) and they were good but nowhere near as good as the fresh pastries.

Solvang Bakery

Danish Mill Bakery: Danish pastries part II and III

by Dabs Written Oct 28, 2006

We did a quick look through at Mortensen's Bakery at 1588 Mission but nothing was grabbing us, maybe they sell out of their goodies by that late in the day so we forged ahead to the Danish Mill Bakery where I was tempted into buying a couple more pastries, this time chocolate cream cookies. Yum!

Tempting pastries Danish Mill Bakery

• MUSTARD SEED: TOURIST TRAP!

by LR1 Written Aug 9, 2006

BEWARE OF THIS TOURIST TRAP DISGUISED AS A LOVELY RESTAURANT. WE HAD A PARTY OF 10 SO WE COULD NOT HAVE THE PATIO SEATING, INSTEAD WE WERE TAKEN INTO A BACK ROOM WITH NO A/C THAT WAS DARK AND LOOKED DIRTY. IT TOOK 15 MINUTES BEFORE SOMEONE CAME TO OUR TABLE. OUR WAITER WAS MAYBE 16 AND OVERWHELMED WITH HIS JOB. THE DRINKS TOOK 45 MINUTES AND THE HORRIBLE FOOD TOOK ABOUT 90 MINUTES. OUR CHECK TOOK ANOTHER 30 MINUTES TO GET TO US. APPERANTELY OUR SERVER WAS HAVING A HARD TIME ADDING IT UP. IT APPEARED ALL THE SERVERS WHERE THE OWNERS CHILDREN, WHICH I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH AS LONG AS THEY PROVIDE GOOD, FRIENDLY SERVICE. NEXT TIME WE WILL WAIT THE HOUR AND EAT AT PAULA'S PANCAKE HOUSE.

The Big Bopper Drive-In: Great Drive-In Food

by Safaristars Updated Jan 2, 2006

The Big Bopper is a 50's-style drive-in ~ without the car waitresses or metal order boxes. If you are hungry for a great burger, tri-tip sandwich, or shake ~ this is the place. Solvang has an ordinance that bans franchise businesses so you won't find McDonalds or Burger King here (however a Subway slipped in before the ordinance passed). If you want something from a chain ~ the closest is Buellton four miles west which has many fast food choices. Big Bopper offers free delivery to the local hotels.

Favorite Dish: I love their big juicy Veggie Burgers, fries, onion rings, and deep fried zuchini. They offer a choice of whole wheat bun for the burgers. Yummm!!

Big Bopper Drive-In

Meadows: Great service and food

by malianrob Written Dec 8, 2005

You can either eat indoors or outdoors, which is what we did. The outdoor patio has heat lamps if needed so you wont get too chilly or sit next to the outdoor fireplace. The place is nice, service is good, food is delicious, atmosphere is perfect.

• Safaristars's Profile Photo

Meadow's Restaurant & Bar: Happy Hour Time!!

by Safaristars Written Oct 17, 2005

The Meadows is probably the largest restaurant and bar in Solvang. The large dining room is nice but lacks ambience. The bar has a cozy feel with couches and a fireplace. They have live music on most weekends. One thing I really love is the wonderful mosaic flooring in the entryway. Great outside patio seating with fireplace is another nice feature. As for the food, I've had several seafood dinners there and though always good ~ never great. It's happy hour I enjoy the most here.

Favorite Dish: Margaritas margaritas margaritas!!!!! Need I say more. A great stop after shopping all day is to the outside patio to enjoy.....you guessed it.....margaritas and my favorite appetizer of coconut prawns with mango salsa. Drinks are made strong ~ and very tasty.

• Women's Travel

Mandarin Touch: Late Night Chinese Dining

by Safaristars Updated Oct 17, 2005

If you would like to have dinner later than 9pm this is the only restaurant in Solvang open that I am aware of. They stay open until 11pm - but opt to close early on slow nights. Great food, full bar, and nice employees makes this an enjoyable late evening treat.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is a special called "Prawns and Candied Walnuts". It's not on the menu but it's always been available to request. Very delicious!!!

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

Hitching Post: As in the movie "Sideways"

by mht_in_la Updated Feb 27, 2005

If you have seen the movie "Sideways", you'll probably remember this "Hitching Post" sign. It's a restaurant/bar in Solvang with a cool bar tender and an attractive waitresses. Interestingly a few days before my visit to Solvang I just saw "Sideways" so I noticed the sign immediately.

Since I've never dined here, I can't really rate it. But I recommend the movie "Sideways". It's a rare wine movie.

Hitching Post

Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Kronborg Inn Solvang
Latest: Jul 18, 2014

Instant Answers: Solvang

Comments

Solvang Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Solvang locals.
Map of Solvang