Places to eat in South Lake Tahoe

• Restaurants
    Salsa and Hummus
    by blueskyjohn
    Filet Mignon with a coffee rub

Most Viewed Restaurants in South Lake Tahoe

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Rojo's: A awesome place for food and smiles!

by Yaqui Updated Oct 31, 2009

We were driving around looking for a late lunch or early dinner. I spotted this place because it said BBQ and I will admit it was hard finding a place to eat that was not crowded where you had to wait in lines. So when I saw this place with not too many cars parked around it, I said lets try it out. We entered and they had just opened. The lovely hostess was all smiles and so friendly. She gave us a wonderful recommendation of the house special of fish and chips. The fries are huge and look different, but were delicious. Nick had a hamburger which he enjoyed and Nate had his chicken strips and fries. It was all good and we were the only guest of yet in the restaurant. The decor was still in its 70's style, but WE LOVED it, and so did my oldest son, he thought it was fun.

What is very neat, is the building his historic and was once a restaurant, store, gas station, and bar. It also has one of the only places that has a basement and that basement is rented out for parties and receptions. Its called the Cavern and the hostess gave us a personal tour. A really lovely place!

So if your in this area, please check it out!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Stateline Brewery: It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

by Yaqui Updated Oct 31, 2009

My boys decided to break from their parents and allowed us a evening out to explore the Stateline and Heavenly Village. So we were looking for someplace grown up to dine at. We came across this place and decide to give it a try. It was decorated in a modern simple style, but host was pleasant. I tried one of their local brews and and it was good. We ordered from the appetizer because the menu was really expenisive, but I am sure it is all good.

Favorite Dish: We had the Steak Quesadilla with Marinated flank steak, fresh corn, melted Monterrey Jack cheese in a flour tortilla. Served with sour cream, guacamole for 10.95. It worked for us and was plenty to eat.

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

MacDonalds: You get what you pay for!

by Geoff_Wright Written Jul 1, 2003

MacDonald's isn't really on my list of favourite restaurants, as, I suppose, there are just so many places to chose from. However, this MacDonalds is nicely situated, and has great views of the mountains behind.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

St. Pauli Inn: Gourmet German food

by jessicadf Updated Apr 4, 2011

We've driven by this restaurant/bar/market for years and years and never stopped in. Tonight we were really hungry and hadn't found a place on our way out of Tahoe on Highway 50. "Hey, let's try that German place!" Wow -- we were so surprised. From the outside it looks pretty weathered. Inside, it actually reminded us both of some country restaurants in Germany. Friendly service, warm and delicious brown bread with tasty butter and delicious food. Highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: I had the Zigeuner Chicken and it was DELICIOUS. I chose schpaetzel and carrots as my side dishes. OH MY GOD. I haven't had German food that good since visiting Munich many years ago.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Goodfellas Pizza: Good food and cozy!

by Yaqui Updated Oct 31, 2009

We were looking for a place to eat, but in this town all the restaurants are busy or people waiting in line to eat. So I spotted this place because my boys were ready to eat eachother. It is a very small place, but the pizza was good. The boys were happy with their meals and so were we. We had meatball sandwiches and they were good. It was kind of expensive, but the place was clean. Not a lot of tables, but the booths they had were very long that would probably seat at least four adults on each side. Nice little place!

• Shihar's Profile Photo

Cecil's Steak and Brew: Good Resturant..

by Shihar Updated Mar 26, 2007

This resturant is located in the Heavenly village. As I recall the food was good, however a little pricey than expected.

They serve steak,seafood,pasta,pizza,etc.

The atmosphere kinda felt like an upscale basement.

Coupon is available in the 'Sunny day guide'

Favorite Dish: Mixed drinks. Pizza

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Red Hut Cafe and Waffle shop: Great Little Locals Place!

by orcoastgirl Written May 31, 2007

We had a very good breakfast here on our last day in South Lake Tahoe. I had the banana pancakes which were perfectly made, fresh orange juice, maple syrup. My husband had an omelette which he said was very good, served with toast and hash brown potatoes. Service is very friendly and the majority of the people in the diner knew each other. We bought some souvenirs here, also.

Favorite Dish: Banana pancakes with maple syrup

• barney1974's Profile Photo

Rosie's!!!!!!!: Ecletic

by barney1974 Written Jun 17, 2006

Rosie's has a great menu with lots of good eatin' items on it. They serve breakfast as well. The restaurant has a ton of different interior decorating items, from the mooshead above the roaring fireplace to tons of old ski items to the real cork board by the bathroom. Good food, good service, and a fun atmosphere. There is also a bar as well. Looked like a local favorite.

• barney1974's Profile Photo

Bluewater Bistro: Seafood

by barney1974 Written Jun 17, 2006

One of the few seafood places in South Lake Tahoe. This is located on a pier near the Best Western. Very good food there with a varied amount of items to choose from. The atmosphere was pleasant, a good place for a nice date. The view of the lake and mountains was good but I'm sure it would be an even nicer place in the summer. There was also outdoor seating there as well. It was tucked away but worth finding!

Favorite Dish: I had the Ahi and it was very good. Firm texture and very juicy! Yummy!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Bert's Cafe: Good Breakfast!

by blueskyjohn Updated May 5, 2013

Typical diner setting location in the parking area of a gas station. Rustic interior. Wait staff very helpful. The food was very good. We had the Eggs Benedict and the Mexican Omelet. Both dishes were very good. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, 7am - 2pm.

Favorite Dish: Mexican Omelet - Chorizo and avocado was a great hit with me!

Driftwood Cafe: Great start to the day

by blueskyjohn Updated May 5, 2013

The Driftwood is conveniently located in the Heavenly Village. The interior is nice and bright with booths, tables and a to go counter. The wait staff were friendly and timely with refill of coffee and bringing food out. I really enjoyed the food here and if I had more time I would have eaten here again for breakfast. They are only open from 7am to 3pm.

The Fantastic French Toast is very good but it is with sourdough bread so the taste is a little different. We ordered an egg in addition. It does not come with the meal normally.

Favorite Dish: I had "Michelle's Omelet which I loved. Filled with diced tomato, Zucchini, avocado and parm cheese, then topped with sprouts. Excellent and healthy!

Latin Soul: Good start but a weak finish

by blueskyjohn Updated May 5, 2013

This restaurant is located in Lakeside Inn casino just over the border in Stateline NV. I typically do not eat in casino restaurants but this one seemed well reviewed. The meal started great with a nice salsa and chips which also had some tasty hummus on the side of the salsa. The appetizer was also good. We had the summer rolls.

But the main courses we order were not good. We had the Filet Mignon with coffee rub. We ordered it med. rare and it came over cooked and charred. We also tried the Chicken Mole dish, normally one of my favorites. The chicken was dry and it was the strangest tasting Mole sauce I ever had.

• Seniors

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Forest Buffet: Food with a view

by chewy3326 Written Aug 24, 2006

Forest Buffet is on the 18th floor of Harrah's Casino and is a relatively good deal at $18 a person. The buffet here has an extensive collection of food and desserts, as well as a great view of Lake Tahoe and the peaks of the Desolation Wilderness. The food here is as good as the view; though you may have to wait in line to enter. Spending $18 here for the food and the view is much better than losing $18, 17 floors lower.

Favorite Dish: Forest Buffet has a selection of Asian dishes; they had a noodle soup which was pretty good. In general, the food here is better than standard buffet fare (or maybe I was just really hungry).

• Casino and Gambling

• Shihar's Profile Photo

Alpen Sierra Coffee shop: Good Coffee

by Shihar Updated Mar 26, 2007

This little coffee shop was located across the street from our hotel in S. Tahoe.

Since I don't like coffee, the chai was good but has a bit of a kick from too much cinnamon.

The serve bagel sandwiches which were pretty tasty.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Harvey's Seafood Buffet: Great seafood buffet!

by jessicadf Written Jan 4, 2005

On the Casino level of Harvey's Lake Tahoe is the Seafood Buffet. My husband grew up eating there on Friday evenings and it's still open now. It has, of course, been remodeled and revamped since that time, and of course the price has gone up since then.

I was impressed and surprised with the quality of the food (it's a buffet, afterall). The fish was all fresh and tasty, and there was very little wait to get in (3 couples ahead of us to pay -- less than 5 minutes to be seated from the time we walked up).

There are several "stations" that serve up various styles of seafood cuisine: raw bar, sushi bar, Pan-Asian (stir fry, abalone soup, dumplings, pad thai, etc.) Cajun, Mexican, salads, fried fish... plus they always have prime rib, and an INCREDIBLE dessert buffet.

Favorite Dish: The seared ahi was particularly tasty, as was the single-serving cherry pie.

South Lake Tahoe Hotels

Latest: Apr 22, 2014
Tahoe Queen Motel
Latest: Mar 8, 2009

Instant Answers: South Lake Tahoe

Comments

South Lake Tahoe Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and South Lake Tahoe locals.
Map of South Lake Tahoe