Sunnyvale Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Sunnyvale

• jumpingwithnorman's Profile Photo

Tao Tao: Legendary & Reliable Chinese

by jumpingwithnorman Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tao Tao is one of those dining institutions that have been around for centuries.... They did remodel several years back so their dining room looks pretty good. We usually eat here almost every week or so as it's one of those favorites that the whole family enjoys. Service is very good, attentive and prompt. The food is outstanding. There's lots of parking around the restaurant so that's never been an issue.

Favorite Dish: Tao tao Beef is a family favorite though we always order ours well done. Pressed Almond Duck is very yummy and my youngest child can eat a whole plate of them... not because they're so small but because they are very yummy. Their Wonton Soup (not the Wor Wonton) is perfect! Their Chinese Chicken Salad is another wonderful dish they serve. They have the best Chinese Chicken Salad! They have a great bar and their Mai Tais are very tasty according to my husband. (I don't drink so I've never tried it).

• alycat's Profile Photo

Udupi Palace: Crisp vadai

by alycat Updated Nov 5, 2010

I am no connoisseur of South Indian food but I have eaten the cuisine at some of the most authentic restaurants, homes, back in South India, in rural villages, hamlets, and that taste and flavor is going to stay with me all my life.

No wonder I try and search for that same zing in any place that claims to specialize in South Indian cuisine and that is what I precisely did at Udupi Palace, and I can say that their chefs have worked pretty hard here. Its a fairly simple place with basic interiors, it can be vellore or vijayawada for that matter.

Favorite Dish: We had ordered a lot of different dishes, dosa, vada, idly, uthappa, ya all the works, but the best of the lot was the crisp vada with the right amount of spices. The dosa's are quite big so try and order less on the first try, a single person cant finish the damn thing!

• supune's Profile Photo

Saravana Bhavan: The Best South Indian Food in the South Bay

by supune Updated Oct 6, 2010

This place is legendary. It seems everyone knows about this place as THE place to go for South Asian Food in the bay area. Even my neighbors in Los Angeles recommend it. If you like South Indian food, this will probably be your favorite spot. The food is very authentic. You'll notice that a lot of South Indians eat here and that they come from all over. That tells me that the food must be great. It was very busy when we went, but the food came pretty quickly. The restaurant is in a nice, quiet neighborhood in Sunnyvale.

Favorite Dish: They serve a wide variety of Dhosa's. They are huge and filling. I would say that you should go with a group and each of you sample a different one. I had the Adal Adai (sorry if I spelled it wrong), a Kerala dish with a very interesting bread with a very creamy sauce. I also had the Ravana Dhosa which has lots of onions and potatoes and a good mix of spices folded into a huge triangle (see the picture to see how huge it was)

huge dhosa at Saravanaa Bhavan Saranavaa Bhavan entrance sweets booth at Saravanaa Bhavan

• Hardy's Bavaria: Hardy's denied me service!

by Marifaith Written Sep 9, 2006

Hardy's was my favorite restaurant ever since I can remember (at least 10 years). I've been going there for all my birthdays, celebrations, ect; spending at least $80 for two people at dinner, and $25 takeout for myself during my visits. The staff know my parents by name due to their continual patronage also.
    To my suprise, I WAS DENIED SERVICE today. When I first walked into the restaurant I was ignored (there were 2 people sitting at the bar and only two tables were occupied with customers). Finally after a few minutes of just standing there while other customers were greeted coming in after me, I was asked how I may be assisted. I stated I would like to order food to go. After the woman shuffled around some papers, she approached me and whispered that they do not do "To Go" orders! I can't even begin to explain the shock after recommending and bring a good amount of business to the establishment throughout the years! I have never been denied service in my life and do not recommend anyone to visit a place where they pick and chose who they serve - the drive over with todays gas prices would just be a waste of your time to see if they are willing to serve you or not. I highly doubt after ten years of service myself and now my family will ever return or recommend such a place.

• Beer Tasting

• Mark_12's Profile Photo

Seto Japanese Cuisine: Convenient Japanese Food

by Mark_12 Written Jun 7, 2005

The restaurant offers regular seating as well as screened rooms where you sit on the floor. It also has a sushi bar. The screened rooms are good for group dinners.

I have eaten here for lunch and dinner and the service and food have always been fine.

The restaurant has parking both across the street and behind the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: For lunch, I usually order the bento box. It comes with tea, soup, rice and salad as well as your selection of 2 or 3 items from a list of about 10. For 2 items it costs just under $10.00.

• Business Travel

• amberz's Profile Photo

Burrito Real: Make Your Own Burrito

by amberz Written Jan 24, 2003

If you like Mexican food, you gotta try this! It's almost buffet style, but they make it for you.

1) Tell them what size burrito you want. Chico, Regular or Super
    2) What kind of meat (if any)? LOTS of selection.
    3) What kind of rice? Spanish, white, brown?
    4) What kind of beans? Pinto, refried, black
    5) Then, what fixin's? What kind of cheese? What else? cilantro, onions, tomatos, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, salsa, etc.
    For here or to go?
    All you can eat chips and salsa at the salsa bar.

Oh, they have other stuff too, but the big attraction is the burritos. They have children's burritos and tacos, salmon, taco salads, etc. You can get fountain soda, bottled water, beer, other bottled drinks (Arizona Tea and some other stuff).

The people who make the food are really friendly. The food is always fresh. You can see it all and point to what you want.

Favorite Dish: Make it yourself burrito. It's great, because it's just the way you like it. I only get a chico and it's plenty along with the chips and salsa.

• amberz's Profile Photo

Hobees: Great American Food!

by amberz Written Jan 24, 2003

Down home feel. Comfy. They have great food. Many choices. Flavored teas - salad bar - great breakfast choices - vegetarian choices - fruit smoothies - quesadillas - hash browns - vegetarian chili - lots of good stuff. The staff is really friendly. Great service. The manager once gave me a free piece of coffee cake to take home too (we frequent this restaurant so he's gotten to know us a little).

Favorite Dish: Lots of vegetarian choices.

1) Black Bean Nachos
    multi-colored corn chips, vegetarian black bean chili, sour cream, guacamole, salsa. Very yummy!

2) Veggie Quesadilla
    whole wheat flour tortilla, mixed veggies (carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms, tofu, etc) cheese and rice. Server with chips, sour cream and salsa.

3) Blueberry Coffee Cake
    HUGE piece of coffee cake (4"x4"x4"). They have other flavors too. Server warm with a ball of butter on top.

4) If you like potatos, you gotta try the De Anza Browns. Cubed potatoes (hash browns) served with melted cheese, sour cream, salsa and guacamole. They have other varieties with meat too.

• cwest03's Profile Photo

Hardy's Bavaria: A little pice of Bavaria in the heart of Sillicon

by cwest03 Updated Oct 19, 2002

Hardy's Bavaria is the place to sample German cuisine in the South Bay. Run by Hardy himself (who is usually found behind the bar) this place has a great authentic German feel. With dishes like Weiner schnitzel and jger schnitzel how could you go wrong? They also have a fine selection of German beers and spirits. Each dinner comes with soup and salad which are both out of this world. If you’re lucky you’ll get the bean soup and if it’s in season the celery root salad. If you have a large appetite you might want to try some of their appetizers like the mushroom salad, sausage sampler plate or the pickled herring. If you’re trying to save yourself for the main course you might want to just stick to the German bread provided a every table. Be sure to save room for the strudel or other deserts and enjoy a coffee or schnapps after your meal. You won’t leave hungry.

Favorite Dish: My favorite would have to be the weiner schnnitzel (I get it almost every time I'm there). The lamb is good as well and I'm told so is the Sauerbraten. Be sure to save room for the strudel which is a great end to the meal.

• Marratu's Profile Photo

Tarragon! This is centered in...

by Marratu Written Aug 26, 2002

Tarragon! This is centered in the heart of Old Town Sunnyvale, and is an OUTSTANDING four star restaurant.
    Awesome food; awesome service; awesome atmosphere. You just can't go wrong here.

Favorite Dish: There are NO bad dishes on Tarragon's menu; EVERYTHING rocks!

• Marratu's Profile Photo

Dishdash Mediterranean food. ...

by Marratu Written Aug 26, 2002

Dishdash Mediterranean food. Okay, so I love Middle Eastern food, and we just don't have nearly enough Mediterranean restaurants around.
    Prices are very reasonable, and the menu has a selection of many different Mediterranean cuisines. Beware of the Moroccan beer; it's kind of like American Budweiser without the harsh afterbite. While it would be great beer to drink on a really hot summer day while digging holes in the backyard, it falls flat for dinner. Go for some of the wine instead.

Favorite Dish: Everything is good here, but be warned; the portions are HUGE! Don't tank up on the bread before dinner or you'll need a doggie bag!

Instant Answers: Sunnyvale

Comments

Sunnyvale Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sunnyvale restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sunnyvale sightseeing.