Tehachapi Local Customs

• In amongst the clusters of grapes on the vine.
    In amongst the clusters of grapes on the...
    by travelgourmet
  • My daughter Kelly, cutting the clusters of grapes.
    My daughter Kelly, cutting the clusters...
    by travelgourmet
    Short break just to say hello.

Most Recent Local Customs in Tehachapi

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Locals and Members Prune Vineyards

by travelgourmet Updated Oct 17, 2013
    Bob Souza ready to do some pruning.

Once a year after winter has come and is about to leave, say late February or early March and the vineyards that are springing up in Tehachapi need pruning to set the vines for new growth and plump grapes. The small town community spirit is alive in Tehachapi. Many locals and fellow vineyard owners help each other out with volunteer pruning. Then there are those of us that love the idea of owning a vineyard, but just don't. That doesn't mean that on your bucket list pruning the vines can't be included. Sometimes all it takes is a call to a vineyard and many will accept your offer to help in the vineyard.

I had on my bucket list to grow grapes for wine. Well, it has not happened yet, but one thing I have added to the list is pruning the grape vines in late winter. You can too. It is working in a fun way to be able to say that the next harvest that takes place in early fall is part of your pruning. Get to know a vineyard through calling and asking the question; "Do you allow the public to help during pruning season." You may be out in the vineyard before you know it. Become a member of the winery's wine club and the odds are in your favor. The locals are friendly and while pruning, many a conversation can be quite stimulating. Just go for it.

I had been to Tehachapi to do a little wine tasting and wound up becoming friends with a couple of the owners. One vineyard, The Souza Family Vineyard became my favorite stop in Tehachapi just to taste and buy their award winning Zin. It was like being in Tuscany while sipping wine on their tasting room patio. I had mentioned to the owners, Bob and Patty Souza, my interest in working a vineyard and they said that volunteers help out with the pruning, as well as the picking of the grapes, when it is time. I said to include me on that list. I got the call asking if I would like to volunteer for the pruning. My reply was; " I'll be there with pruning shears in hand." One of my children and I drove to the Souza Family Vineyard and joined the locals in pruning the grape vines. Time to check that enjoyable event off my bucket list.

• Singles
    • Seniors
    • Wine Tasting

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Comes the fall, comes the harvest

by travelgourmet Updated Oct 17, 2013

In amongst the clusters of grapes on the vine.

Nothing more local than locals going out into the Souza Family Vineyard and harvest the grapes. It was rather chilly on this day of days of grape harvesting on September 28th. About 30 friends of Bob and Patty Souza were on hand to give a hand. Being at the pruning back in spring with one of my daughters, I was excited to be invited back for the harvest of the vineyard and of course, my daughter was there to gain the experience, as well.

If you want to experience this type of activity, contact a boutique winery that has vineyards they are willing to allow your participation in either pruning or harvesting. Many do appreciate the help, as this is a "let's get this done, now." type of action. You may even want to check out the Souza Family Winery to see if they would like any help with either pruning or harvesting. The Cummings Valley of Tehachapi has several new wineries and vineyards being planted. They are family owned and some will like the help. It can not only be helpful to the winery, but fun while you are at it. Enjoy.

• Adventure Travel
    • Singles

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

SMILE:-)

by Yaqui Updated Jul 6, 2009

Around here people are friendly, helpful, honest, and hardworking. Just say "Hi!"

~ Mileage from Tehachapi ~
    San Francisco: 328.8 miles
    Santa Maria: 206 miles

• Trains

Instant Answers: Tehachapi

Comments

Tehachapi Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Tehachapi local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tehachapi sightseeing.