Tehachapi Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Tehachapi

City Slickers: ~Closed

by Yaqui Updated Jul 5, 2014

I am still not sure what happened, but what we gathered in the newspaper the owners of the restaurant and another sandwich place that was located within this strip mall had issue with the owners. Plumming was a huge issue and strip mall owner wouldn't fix it and other issues. So they close. The food and service here was great. So another great place gone.:(

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Red House BBQ: Out of Food!

by Yaqui Updated Jul 5, 2014

The new business in the buiding is called Red House BBQ. We tried to dine here when my son graduated high school, which was a special night. They were out of food. So we left. but my husband gave them second try. Turns out the service was not that good and the food was just ok.

The Apple Shed: ~Closed:(

The Apple Shed

Sad to say this place has closed. It was bought back by the original owners (they own the Red Barn across the street) and something has gone terribly wrong. It use to be nice place to visit. They have gotten rid of the gift shop because they wanted to go American made. So the place was so bare. The food was still good, but we noticed the restaurant is completely closed now. The bakery was good and the patio outside was fun to sit on during the summer months. A very sad day!:(

Favorite Dish: I enjoy the breakfast time here. They do give you plently to eat and your monies worth. Oh!..the fudge here is awesome. You have to try some!

Pacino's Spaghetti Factory: New and Improved~

by Yaqui Updated Oct 25, 2013

We gave this place a second chance since it is under new ownership. What an improvement they have done with the staff, food and decor. We really enjoyed the food and you get "a lot" The decor was fun with Godfather movie posters and photo's. They staff were awesome too. I would recomment folks to stop by and check it out!.

The 58 Diner: Reopened!

by Yaqui Updated May 25, 2013

This wonderful restaurant was once called The Cattleman's Bar & Grille and it was closed for over 4 years. It has reopened as Cafe 58. It use to serve breakfast, but it no longer does. I surmise that the breakfast crowd was slim. We tried it out once on the way to work in the morning and although the service and food was good the folks in the kitchen were very loud and quite annoying.

We stopped again for dinner and were pleased with the food, service, and price. The decor is nice, but I am very dismayed they painted over a beautiful mural of a pony express rider. The mural was top notched too. Very sad, since it represents the history of California.

Mountain Crossing Restaurant: ~Closed & Gone:(

by Yaqui Updated Jul 27, 2012

Sadly this place has closed down and recently has been torn down. A little sad about it, because it was local history. Now it is just a memory.

The food is good and priced reasonable. The decor is simple, but comfortable. Has a wonderful view of the tracks across the street. So, you can sit back eat and watch history continue. It is right next door to a couple of Best Westerns too. Just a few blocks from the local shops too and our beautiful downtown area.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

THE APPLE SHED: FAMOUS TURKEY POT PIES-THUR & FRI ONLY

by travelgourmet Updated Jul 27, 2012

BRIGHT OUTSIDE OF THE APPLE SHED

Apples are red and so is the Apple Shed. Well, actually white with red trim with red apple cut outs on the building. The Apple Shed was once the location for a potato shed for farmers. Burned down twice, and built back to the old look everyone wanted.

Confusing to me is the fact that I was told go there on a Thursday or Friday and get their Famous Turkey Pot Pie. I said, if it is that famous why only sell it on Thursday and Friday. Huh? Say, What? That's like telling McDonald's to only sell their Big Mac on Monday and Tuesday. The Apple Shed serves breakfast, lunch and have a lighter fare menu, but no dinner menu, even though they stay open till the evening. I guess that is for the late lunch crowd. Anyway, lots of tables way in the back, so you have to walk by the tourist gift area and the bakery and fudge display cases.

Surprise, I didn't get past the fudge display. When I walked in, I noticed the fudge display first. Now, I was going for the "famous Turkey Pot Pie" since it was a Friday and the day was still young, but I saw a pistachio fudge tray in the display. The sales girl behind the case was very friendly and offered me a sample. That did it. That fudge had pistachio written all over it, even green in color, although the pistachios I have eaten were blanched shells with a very pale green nut. This fudge was St. Patrick Day green. Now, that will get your attention every time. After sampling, I didn't care if the color was blue. It was delicious and smooth melting in the mouth, I'm ready for more. Asked for a pound to go, and said to my wife, I can't eat lunch now. I'm having my sugar fix. Maybe, next time. Hold the thought on that Famous Turkey Pot Pie. Thank ya kindly but I have to leave now with my green fudge. Now, I have to find a restaurant that has a dinner menu.

Favorite Dish: (UPDATE: I have eaten here now two different times and I must say the food is good, but I got the chicken fried steak one time and I am sorry but the gravy was not tasty or good. Improve the gravy and we might have a winner. I will stick to the sandwiches.)
    I'm sad to say I did not sample or eat at the Apple Shed restaurant. Now, don't get me wrong. The folks that were sitting down to a meal, must have been lunch, seemed happy enough and slingin' the food down, but I could not tell if any of them were having the Famous Turkey Pot Pie that is only sold on Thursday and Friday. Oh yeah, I forgot one thing. The menu says, till they run out. Okay, that's about all I can take. Make a fella wait for the two days a week the Famous Turkey Pot Pie is made and then you say they might run out. I guess next time I am in Tehachapi, it better be a Thursday or a Friday and I'll be waiting by the door for the Apple Shed to open and I will walk right by that fudge display and go have that Famous Turkey Pot Pie. My, my.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Domingo's Mexican & Seafood Restaurant: Nice surroundings!

by Yaqui Updated Nov 27, 2011

Domingo

The food here is ok, but the service is good. The ambience is pleasant and very comfortable. We have come here very often. They always seem to concern themselves if your little ones are happy.

Que' Pasa Mexican Cafe: ~ Closed

by Yaqui Updated Nov 27, 2011

It is the sign of the times for many cities across the US. Being a small city it has taken some toll on us. This wonderful restaurant has closed. Yet, I am keeping this page up because they might come back. So lets keep our fingers crossed for all the small businesses.

I would have to say this is my favorite Mexican Restaurant now. They opened it pretty recently and many locals love this place. Its not a big place, but there is plenty of seating available and they way they arranged the seating it makes them private. I love the decor in this place too! The waitresses have been really wonderful and the love the food...YUMMY!

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the Finger Food Plate for around $8.95. I end up taking most home and eating it the next day...bonus!

Horse Thief Country Club Cafe: Good food, folks, & beautiful scenery~

by Yaqui Written Oct 16, 2011

We come here at least twice a month to eat either breakfast or lunch. Excellent food, staff, and some real pretty scenery to enjoy. The decor is comfortable and cozy. The back bar has lots of history. It was saved out of an old hotel in San Fransico and brought here in the 1970's. It is very lovely.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RED HOUSE BBQ: INDIAN FRY BREAD EXPERT

by travelgourmet Updated Apr 4, 2011

RED PAINTED FACADE FOR RED HOUSE BBQ

Craving BBQ and you are in Tehachapi, then you are in luck. The Red House BBQ is the place to go. While visiting the area, I asked where some good BBQ was sold and the reply was "go east down Tehachapi Blvd and look to the right for the big red house and that is just what it is called "Red House BBQ."

The inside is done in a Native American theme with artifacts on the walls and the surprise of surprises a back yard patio with tables and beyond a fire pit and real tipi's with table and chairs inside. The kids and the kid in you will love this. It is done with love and respect from the chef/owner, Mano Lujan, of Native American heritage, who also uses some recipes from his background. The ordering system is like fast food as you walk up to the register area and order from the large blackboard hanging above and behind the register area. You will get a number to place at your table for the server to bring your order right to you. All in all, a fun experience and an opportunity to enjoy good BBQ.

Favorite Dish: Well, being a BBQ restaurant, one would expect a good rib rack or pulled pork. At the Red House BBQ that is just what you get. The pulled pork seems to be everyone's favorite and rightly so. The ribs are tender and moist. An item I have not tried before was the Indian Taco which I ordered out of curiosity. I have enjoyed Indian Fry Bread made the Navajo way and I was not sure how the rest of the Nations made their fry bread. The Indian Taco served to me was a pretty picture, similar to a Mexican tostada with the main difference being that Indian Fry Bread was used in place of a tortilla. Didn't look like or eat like a taco, but the part that I really was upset about is that the Fry Bread was cold and dry, made with wheat flour and tasteless. I know that lard and unbleached white flour are not that healthy, but I only eat Indian Fry Bread maybe once or twice a year, not every day. Perhaps, the chef/owner could make it both ways for those that want the taste of yesterday. it was a major disappointment, but just give me the pulled pork sandwich, thank you very much.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

THE APPLE SHED: Coupled with a Country Store

by ViajesdelMundo Updated Oct 29, 2010

the live band!

There is a lot of history to the 'Shed', which was originally built in the 1930's and is next to the railway line. The entire history is written in their website noted below.

The menu is many usual American favorites and I believe they are most famous for breakfast, but we only had dinner here.

You pass thru the country store to get to the tables, and one can buy both gifts and homemade food items, such as wonderful FUDGE!! which I did!

Added to the atmosphere when we were there was a 3-piece local western band!! (see 2nd photo)

Denny's: Local charm!

by Yaqui Written Oct 17, 2009

Although, this is part of a chain. The folks here who work here are locals and it has the wonderful local feel. There at photo's on the walls through out the restaurant of local landmarks. Plenty of parking and easy to get to. The service is always excellent and the food is great. My boys love this place.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Kelly's Cafe: Awesome Breakfast!

by Yaqui Written Oct 17, 2009

Kelly's is one of those mom and pop restaurants that will not let you down. We have come here many of times and never disappointed. We come in for breakfast and it is always good, fast, and a great price. The decor has a lovely hometown feel. It is clean! It is not very impressive on the outside, but do not let that fool you. A great place to sit and eat and relax!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Kelcy's Restaurant: Look For The Cowboy!:-)

by Yaqui Updated Jun 25, 2009

Kelcy's has a long history since 1933 when it was once called Squires Coffee Shop. Highway 466 use to pass along in front the restaurant since 1971, which is now Tehachapi Blvd. Although, Tehachapi in those years never developed into a huge motorist stop. The restaurant survived. It pretty much survived the 1952 7.7 earthquake. It like many buidlings suffered much devastation, but was rebuilt and operated as the Trusty's Restaurant. Then in 1969 it was bought by the Kelcy family who has been operating it ever since. They are very proud and want their restaurant to make the locals and visitors feel always welcome. "You know what!" They do! They have a wall dedicated to our local aviation. It is the typical home town restaurant that you will be waited on by smiling faces. Has a no frill decor, yet very comfortable and friendly. The food is excellent and so enjoyable.

Hours:
    6am-3PM Monday - Saturday
    7am-3pm Sunday

In Memory of Kelcy Owens 1930 - 2008
    We will miss you!

Favorite Dish: Breakfast again! Get your monies worth and they give you plenty to eat. The coffee is excellent, along with the food!....Yummy!

Instant Answers: Tehachapi

Comments

Tehachapi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tehachapi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tehachapi sightseeing.