Truckee is colder than other Tahoe Basin areas
Favorite thing: Truckee has a reputation of being a few degrees colder than the other areas of the Lake Basin. I can't tell you exactly, but since you've never seen snow before, you may want to make sure your friend has a few spare hats and gloves since you may find it cold. Nights can drop to be -10/-15C (5/15F) quite easily and day time temperatures vary because the sun is very strong there. Days in winter can be between -10C (15F) and +25C (75) . However I have seen even more extremes...
Parking In Truckee
Favorite thing: In October 2005, Truckee went to a new
system of parking in town.
They have pay stations around town where
you puchase a ticket that you must display
on your dashboard, drivers side that has
an expiration time on it ....
Fondest memory: New Parking Information:
* Pay & Display Stations (Meters) started October 17, 2005
* Parking District Enforced Daily -Including Weekends and Holidays
10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
* Historic Downtown Truckee
* Pay & Display Stations Located in Dark Blue Areas
* Employee Permit Parking Located in Dark Green Areas
* Resident Permit Parking Located in Red Areas
* Better Management of Parking in the Historic Downtown Area
* Provide Funding for Capital Improvements in the Historic Downtown Area
* Provide Funding for Ongoing Maintenance and Snow Removal of Downtown
Paid Parking Areas
* Solar-Powered with a Battery Backup
* Contains a Backup System to Report Malfunctions
* Accepts Credit Card ($2.00 Minimum Purchase) and Coins
$1.00, $0.25, $0.10, $0.05
A Change Machine located in the Train Station Building
* $1.00 Per Hour 1st 2 Hours, $2.00 Per Hour 3rd Hour,
$3.00 Per Hour 4th Hour with a 4-Hour Maximum
* $10.00 All-Day Parking in Parking Lot Between Fire Station and
the Train Depot
* $4.00 Overnight Parking for Hotel Guests and Patrons of the Bus
and Train in the Parking Lot to the East of the Beacon Gas Station
The great outdoors
Favorite thing: Brave the cold of winter & get your blood flowing on the slopes of Tahoe. Go snow-shoeing or crosscountry skiing for peace & tranquility or take a snowmobile tour or sled-dog ride for excitement.
If you are an intermediate or above skier or rider take a free lesson at the top of Mt Pluto 10:15am & 2:15pm weekdays at Northstar at Tahoe. For the best views, ski Homewood or Diamond Peak. If you are a stud, Ski Squaw.
(or think you are....hee hee)
Fondest memory: The little critters.
I'm probably the only local who actually loves the squirrils, raccoons & coyotes. O.K. I don't feed them (they carry the plague) but if I see one I have to squeal like a school girl & give it a name (Nigel is the Grey squirrill who lives in out front yard) then watch what ever it is up to until it notices me & runs away!
- Family Travel
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
- Skiing and Boarding
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates