Universal City Things to Do

• facing the former back to the future ride
    facing the former back to the future...
    again pose
  • Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Universal City

Universal City Walk

by Yaqui Updated Aug 17, 2007

The City Walk is Free, although parking is not. Sorry, they forget to tell you about that catch. General Parking Cost is $10.00 for an unlimited period of time, for date of purchase. Parking is located at the top of Universal Studios Boulevard and Universal Hollywood Drive. Yet, it is something to experience and stroll along the many trendy restaurant and shops. There is a movie duplex here too and there is always some type of activity happening here with local and studios street performances by artist.

CityWalk Hours of Operation
    11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Sunday - Thursday
    11:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday
    All hours are subject to change.
    Some food, retail, and entertainment venues practice extended operating hours.

• Theme Park Trips

Lights....Camera....Action-Universal Studios

by Yaqui Updated Aug 17, 2007

Every year we like to take the boys somewhere fun and we decided it was time to let them experience Universal Studios, although my oldest has been here a couple of time with the youth centers. My youngest though was all big eyed and had question after question of all the shops and restaurants (City Walk) that you have to walk to, to get to the entrance of the Studios.

I remember in the old days once you got in, you lined up right away to get onto the trams and they took you on the back lot tour and then let you off to see the rest of the exhibits. Not anymore. The tram tour is an option, but an option everyone should experience. You get a wonderful view of Universal CityI thoroughly enjoyed my day with the family here. We did most of the attractions and found that the wait time was not bad at all. You will get wet on the Jurassic Park ride and might find yourself getting a little wet on the tram ride if you sit on the right side, so beware…lol! All in all it was a great visit. Oh, its not cheap eating there, but hey it’s costly at most amusement parks now days so I am just reminding you of any sticker shock. Parking is at least $10.00, but plenty of spaces available and getting there is really easy too! Check it out, loads of very trendy restaurant and stores waiting for you to experience and explore.

• Theme Park Trips

Jurassic Park

by Yaqui Written May 28, 2009

This is the best ride to me in the park. It is fun, entertaining, and you get wet or do I mean soaked. So be prepared. It is great during he summer months, but during winter, you may want to acquire a plastic pancho. You get to encounter a a 50-foot T-Rex, and a awesome plunge straight down an 84-foot raft plunge. It is FUN!!

REVENGE OF THE MUMMYS

by Yaqui Updated May 28, 2009

We didn't have to wait long to get on this ride. We had no idea what to expect till you get to the entrance and the sign warns you of what to expect. I hesitated of course, but we went on it anyways. Ok, it was dark, scarey, loved the props, but it scared the dickens out of me. My boys loved it though, but it is not something I would do again:) It is dark, so it shoots you forward and up and then it shoots backwards. So be prepared!

War of the Worlds

by Yaqui Written May 28, 2009

This is the movie set from Steven Spielberg's Film War of the Worlds. I was surprised to see it, because I didn't think they would have it. If you do not remember it stared with Tom Cruise. Not a bad movie, still liked the classic, but still enjoyed it. Yet, it was neat to see this set in person.

Shrek 4-D

by Yaqui Written May 30, 2009

This was very entertaining and my youngest son enjoy this so much. He loves Shrek and he could not wait to get inside. Lots of wonderful visual entertainment. They did a wonderful job including lots of wonderful visual effects. They actual made us jump around they were done so well:)

About the only bad thing is it was hot and they did not have enough shade for everyone in line. So if your coming here during summer, have plenty of water and sunscreen.

DR. SEUSS' HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS Set

by Yaqui Written May 30, 2009

This is a wonderful set and once again was suprised to see it. Dr. Seuss was one of my favorite author of childrens books. I loved them so much I bought a whole set for my boys so I could read to them the same stories I enjoyed growing up. I have not been to the studious for quite sometime, so seeing some recent movie sets was enjoyable.

House of Horrors

by Yaqui Updated Jan 10, 2010

Voted Best Year Round Haunted Attraction in America by HauntWorld Magazine and I was not surprised. The whole family wanted to ventured in here, but as we got close my Nate changed his mind and well, I was a little scared about going in here myself. So I waited for John and Nick to return and they both throughly enjoyed it. So I went in with John and unfortunately he lost some skin on his arms. I was scared. It has some of the classic characters such as Frankenstein, Wolf Man, vampires and Chucky.

There are some warnings. One of the sets is a little crusome for younger children if they so decided to enter. So just beware. Still, it was fun and something we would do again when we return.

Desperate Housewives

by Yaqui Written May 28, 2009

This is the back lot movie set for the actual Desperate Housewives TV series. It is interesting because they have used this backlot for so many movies and TV series. So it was interesting to know they were using this again.

Physco 1960

by Yaqui Written May 28, 2009

Made in 1960 by Alfred Hitchcock, it has lasted the test of time. It is one of those classics that most people have seen. Staring Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins. It is one of those classic horror movies that was probably the first to suggest, I mean suggest some of the horrors to come in horror movies. Though it was tame by our standards, it was considered then way to revealing. That's what made it so successful during its time.

The Fast and Furious Set

by Yaqui Written May 30, 2009

One of the neat attractions you get to see while on the tram tour. At first I hate to admit this, but I was not sure where this set was going, although I appreciated the mechanics. Then my son, said isn't this the Fast and Furious set? I had to giggle....oh am I getting old?!...lol! Still it offered entertainment.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Take A Picture With Your Favorite Character!

by Yaqui Written May 30, 2009

Throughout the day you will have the opportunity to take pictures with all sorts of wonderful characters. If you have children or not...lol...take a picture with one of them. Makes for some wonderful memories.

They have roaming around or next to a movie prop:
    The Hulk
    The Simpsons - Homer, Marge, Lisa,
    and Bart
    Scooby-Doo and Shaggy
    Shrek, Fiona, and Donkey
    Dora the Explorer and her friend Diego
    SpongeBob SquarePants
    Curious George
    Alex the Lion and the Penguins from 'Madagascar'
    And many more.

Terminator 2 3D

by Yaqui Updated May 30, 2009

The whole family really enjoyed this show. The effects are wonderful and entertaining. My youngest was so excited and thrilled to see this attraction. You have to make time when your visiting the studios. The props were pretty cool as well.

JAWS

by Yaqui Written May 30, 2009

I think just about everyone knows or seen the original movie JAWS. Director Steven Spielberg created the summer of 1975 blockbuster. Jaws a great white shark that terrorizes the townspeople of Amity Island. So it is up to police chief (Roy Scheider) and a grizzled shark hunter (Robert Shaw) and an oceanographer (Richard Dreyfuss) that is on a mission to destroy the deadly great white.

Universal has taken this movie and created a wonderful ride that still entertains. My son Nate practically climbed into in his brothers lap. I had on the other was busy trying to keep my camera dry. If you want to be up close and personal, make sure to sit on the very end on the right side:) Oh, you might get wet.

Transformers Backdrop Set

by Yaqui Written May 30, 2009

While on the tram tour they point out all the different backdrop sets that are used in the various movies. One of these is the Transformers backdrop set. They used this set in the actual movie. My youngest was excited when they meantioned Transformer, but disappointed when he didn't get to see a real tranformer.

Instant Answers: Universal City

Comments

Universal City Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Universal City things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Universal City sightseeing.

View all Universal City hotels