Valencia Things to Do

• iclee's Profile Photo

Wild hair raising rides

by iclee Updated Jan 15, 2009
    Here it goes......

Since 1992, I've been going back to Six Flags Magic Mountain (MM) in Valencia. That was more than 16 years ago and this time I went back with my 2 daughters. I showed them the website before flying to California and they were very excited. On the website, tickets cost US$39.99 while walk-in rates for adults $59.99, kids below 48" $29.99 and kids 2 and under are free. Flash pass rate of $20 (M-THU) and $25 (F-SUN) is available for those who want to cut their line queu time. Flass pass is not applicable to X2 and Dejavu ride. We heard a promo ticket rate in one of the Ralph's store and bought 2-for-the-price-one tickets at $24 each ticket. All in all, six of us got in after I paid $72 at Ralph's. I chanced upon this promo from one of their weekly mail in ad.

They loved all the rollercoater rides from the simple mild chills to the gut wrenching max. It seems they got that exploratory side from me. :) MM now has water adventure park beside it with a different entrance fee. If you like the zips and hairpin turns then go to MM.

Since 1992, the park remained clean and kid-friendly (lots of warning signs/assistance/and kiddie rides). The kids sought the opportunity to have a group picture with Batman, Wonderwoman and Robin. Plus a gamut of stuff toys larger than me.

Only glitch was it was May and droves of local tourist were with us so it meant longer (sometimes an hour) waiting in line time. The kids did not seem to mind standing in line as long as they got to ride the most amazing rides.

Tatsu - felt like you were gliding along the coaster rails superman style. Not seated vertically but your body will be parallel to the ground. Ellicited the most screams from the young bunch. Lockers for your stuff available for a fee beside the Tatsu ride.

Goliath - 26 stories high and drops you like a hot potato. I am not a fan of the thigh restraint thing that this ride has instead of the usual over the shoulder pads. One of the rides my kids tried at least 3x. They would always exit with loud guffaws :)

Colossus - wooden 1,608 feet from start to finish. Once is enough for me. I do not like the clickety-clack sound of wooden ones. To me, that means its about to fall apart so jeesh....

Riddler's Revenge - my fave. Standing rollercoaster. Very fast with tight turns and feels like you'll hit one of the poles supporting the coaster. A tip though: I saw a few people refused carriage due to they cant fit "into" the tight over the shoulder harness.

You can't bring in food or any drink (read: water) into the park. Babies are allowed milk formula. Park food was expensive. The drink can be bought in commemorative tumblers that my kids seems to be crazy for. Though after the trip, these tumblers just littered my cabinets.
    Large chicken strips are available at Colossus Cookery at the Country Fair outlet. A fair size burger costs $12 plus tax.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Six Flags Magic Mountain

by Yaqui Updated Oct 24, 2006

Me & Leslie 1974

This picture dates me, but I just had to share the fact that I had been enjoying this park since I was a official teenager. Of course it has grown and changed considerably since my younger years, but keeps amazing me with ever new ride that comes along. My son now enjoys this park since he attends summer fun camp. It has lots of entertainment for the whole family. It has tons of parking and a little park with shades tress and picnic tables located within the parking lot. Lots of local fast food establishments or nice family restaurants. Many hotels are located not far also.

Although the web offers much information, it would best to call to check on changes of park times and when the park is open or closed. Also to find out in advance of what rides are working or down for repair

ONLINE PRICE

General Parking $15.00
    Valet Parking (General vehicles) $30.00
    Oversized Vehicle Parking
    (RV, Trailer, Bus, etc.) $20.00
    Group rates are available for 10 or more. Click here for Military Savings Information.
    BEST VALUE OFFER - SEASON PASSES
    Click here for more details.
    A Season Pass pays for itself in less than two visits.
    Season Pass $69.99

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Valencia Town Center Mall Carrousel

by Yaqui Written Apr 29, 2006

A very unique feature this mall has that most don’t it has a authentic two level carrousel indoors. It is like the centerpiece of the mall. My sons wanted to ride this so bad and did three times. It was a two token ride, which was $2.00. They enjoyed it, even my 12 year old.

• Six Flags Magic Mountain

by eezeew Written Apr 3, 2006

This place is hard to recommend, but loads of people go.

First, the good; the roller coasters are good to very good. IF they're running and IF the lines are tolerable. Go right when the park opens if you want to ride X (and Tatsu when it opens.) The later you get to the park, the longer the line is, and the line moves slow. Otherwise, the other coasters are all pretty good. Goliath was our favorite coaster; big and fast, not much of a waiting line. We liked Superman a lot, and the line for this was short and moves really quickly. Colossus is a really good wood coaster, again not much of a line. Batman coaster; get in the front row line; its worth it.

Now the bad; these people don't know how to run a theme park. They're maybe understaffed and the staff isn't really helpful. The $15 parking area is halfway around the park from the entrance. Lines move slowly, they don't run more than one set of cars on most coasters. And you're on your own when you get through the line to the ride. Most theme parks have a staff member at the entrance to direct people to waiting lines, or at least have lines marked and easy to see. At Magic Mountain, you get into the loading area and try to decipher what the numerous railings mean and they don't mean much at all! They should take down all the railings except the ones to enter the cars and put a person at the entrance!!! And when your coaster is getting pulled up to the top and you look around, you can see piles of scrap, vacant areas that collect trash, and all other undesirable sights that any other theme park keeps hidden. Then there's the closed rides. We were there 2 days and couldn't ride Deja Vu or Psyclone because they were closed both days, as were 2 of the smaller coasters and the tall sight-seeing tower. Also Ninja was closed down the 2nd day.

We live halfway across the country, love coasters and came away shaking our heads. It was cheaper to buy season passes than daily tickets, but we won't even think about using them again. We won't be back.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Goliath in six flags magic mountain

by mafootje Updated Jul 28, 2004
    Goliath going down....

The latest ride when we where
    there was Goliath, this coaster has a 61° first drop into a 120 foot-long (36.57 metres)
    underground tunnel the speeds goes up to 85 mph (136.85 kilometers) and a maximum hight
    of 255 feet (77.85 meters). We can tell you that first drop in the tunnel is awesome,
    just like the rest of the ride. As you can see on the picture the first
    drop is really big just look at how small the cars look.

The Viper

Viper

From 11.00-13.00 Clint and Natasha chose more benign (and cooler) water rides whilst I tackled the Viper straight away as it was the most thrilling roller coaster in the park. Ironically the Golden Grahams cereal company sponsored the ride and the queues proved it. The theme must be, "have your breakfast and lose it too." In these interminable queues aggravated by the 104° (40°C) heat, I met the nicest group of young Asian students named Stephanie, Andy, Tran, Tiffany, and Chen. They were a group of 5 and needed a sixth to even out the lot- they appointed me. As we were queuing up, we noted how smart it was to strategically place frozen lemonade vendors to charge confiscatory prices for liquid relief. Stephanie and I paired up to ride the Viper as did Chen and Andy, Tiffany and Tran. The Viper features a 188 ft. (57 m.) drop, 3 vertical loops, a double-barrel boomerang, and a classic corkscrew at speeds of up to 70 mph (103 km. per hour). I absolutely loved the Viper. It was the highest roller coaster I have ever ridden. Although it wasn't the fastest, it was fast enough for me. The g-forces you get in the process of passing through the 7 inversions was phenomenal!

Tidal Wave

Tidal Wave

What turned out to be the final ride on our agenda was the Tidal Wave, a heart pounding plunge over a 49 ft. (15 m.) waterfall- a carbon copy of Diamond Falls at King's Dominion. We sure enough needed something that wet, a 20 ft. (6 m.), 50.000 cubic ft. (15.000 cubic meter) wall of water. It should be noted that the Best Western hotel chain sponsored the ride. Clint, ever the lawyer, is not sure that was such a good idea as it may imply that Best Western hotel rooms have faulty plumbing.

Psychlone

Psychlone

Because Clint was intrigued with the Colossus, another wooden roller coaster, he wanted to make a go of the Psychlone (that's really how they spell it). This wooden coaster has a 95 ft. (29 m.) drop angled at 53° with 10 more steep hills and 5 high speed banked turns. I was so tired at that point that I fell asleep on it.

Jet Stream

Jet Stream

The first thing out of the chute after lunch was the Jet Stream, a refreshing and scenic adventure with a splashy 56 ft. (17 m.) finale. The Jet Stream and other water rides were just what the doctor ordered for such a hot day.

Ninja

Ninja

The first thing on deck after the tower was the Ninja, the west coast's fastest suspended roller coaster racing from an overhead track through spirals and turns, swinging side to side a total of 180°. Natasha and Clint maneuvered about so we could all ride at the same time. Clint liked the Ninja very much, but to me, it wasn't fast enough and the end was rather anticlimactic.

View from the Sky Tower

view of Six Flags from Sky Tower

The Sky Tower stands 344 ft. (105 m.) above the ground and offers a panoramic view of the park and surrounding Valencia and Santa Clarita area. I took aerial photos of the park from all sides of the tower.

Revolution

Revolution

My little group next agreed on the Revolution, the first looping roller coaster ever built (1976). Compared to the Viper, the Revolution was barely a half turn. After riding those rides with Stephanie's group, I was somewhat in a dilemma. I wanted to ride one more with them, but I promised Clint and Natasha I would meet them under the Sky Tower at 1.00.

Batman- the roller coaster

Batman- the ride

Clint and Natasha wouldn't get on the Batman ride with me. This is a suspended roller coaster that allows our feet to dangle like a participle as we go through a series of looping and corkscrews. They did take my picture (at least that of my feet) as I whizzed by at breakneck speed.

• la_beba's Profile Photo

Six Flags Magic Mountain in...

by la_beba Written Oct 4, 2002

Six Flags Magic Mountain in California.... If you like roller coasters you will be in heaven. On the other hand, if you don't like them.....welcome to your worst nightmare. Admission is about $42 per person, but I recommend you get a season pass (if you live close) because for about $50 or so, you get a season pass that lets you enjoy of these rides aaaaaall year long! That's what we used to do, living so close.... was nice to go during the winter and just go on rides with no lines! or during the Summer, go to see the nightly displayed show of fireworks and get out!
    But if you're just visiting gorgeous Southern California, then you need to know that the entrance fee covers all your rides for the day so if you are a real coaster nut it certainly is good value.
    Some of the rides include

* BATMAN ride This ride the seats are under the track, you sit with your feet dangling in the open. Starts off okay, the slow climb isn’t too nerve wrecking at all but then you start going down. As the speed picks up you'll be upside down, corkscrews, up, down , upside down, triple corkscrews.... and then it'll be over.
    * SUPERMAN ride This ride shoots you along the track at 100 mph for quite awhile, gaining speed until you head straight upthe vertical track 41 stories high before coming to a standstill and freefalling back down again. You experience 5 seconds of weightlessness on the way down.... hehehe, girls.... we like this one! ;o)
    * RIDDLERS REVENGE ride On this ride you are standing up, lots of slow high climbs and steep drops with it’s fair share of loops and corkscrews. It was unbelievably smooth!!!!! this is one of my favs!
    * THE NINJA ride On this ride you sit in a small open gondola and whizz around getting a good look at the park. It gets a bit hectic in the middle, the speed gets up and you start dodging trees and concrete posts so there is a bit of excitement. No loop the loops and corkscrews here.
    * THE VIPER ride Just looking at this one might be enough for some! I remember when it first opened.... the commercial on TV said it was the fall of 18 stories.... though it is the more traditional type of ride with huge loops and high climbs and long freefalls they say it's the tallest steel coaster with the largest loops in the world. My mom and I would go on this one 11 times one after another, with no waiting in lines during the Winter!!!! it's awesome!

There's also Colossus (the white wodden coaster) Pshyclone (the brown wodden coaster), the new Goliath ride (another very smooth ride like Riddler's Revenge, loved it!), and many more on the new Extreme Park Adventure that just opened last 2001! I tell ya, this park is a must in Southern California!!!!

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Going to Hurricane Harbor.

by Elainehead Written Oct 4, 2002

It's a tidal wave of fun at Southern California's favorite tropical paradise located right next door to Six Flags Magic Mountain featuring acres of water attractions for all ages with speed slides, tube slides, a wave pool, lazy river, three large activity areas, plenty of acres to just hang out and much more!

Instant Answers: Valencia

Comments

Valencia Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Valencia things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Valencia sightseeing.