Beach / Boardwalk, Venice

Weaver

Flex your muscles

by heitzenrater Updated Apr 4, 2011

Flex it up!

Nothing better than watching meat heads lifting ridiculous amounts of LB's. One guy squatted 18 - 45 pound plates + the bar. It is a cool place to check out. If you are interested going in the gym then it cost 5 dollars a day. There is some kinda season pass or something. Have fun

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Take a stroll

by Gillybob Written Dec 28, 2008
    The Birdman of Venice

The Boardwalk at Venice is a hive of activity at the weekend when people choose to come down and sell wares, entertain or just sit. Venice is LA's artiste central and many opt to do some self-promotion or selling at the beachside Boardwalk, especially at the weekend.

You will find all sorts of characters. You can get yourself a henna tattoo, watch a street performer or take in the birdman of Venice!

• Missin' Venice

by waternymph Written Feb 16, 2007

I used to go to Venice from the High Desert at least once a month, all thru the 90's until I moved to Oregon in 1999. The beaches here in Oregon are so different than the So Cal beaches and I sat down one day and wrote this:
    (btw, this is copyrighted and owned by me. No reproductions allowed, see more of my stuff at www.starlitecafe.com, search for me by poet name: candeekissez) Oh, I used to love to eat dinner at Goucho Grill on the promanade.

Missin’ The Freaks & Geeks @ Venice Beach

Memories of drinkin’,
    beach parties, skinny dippin’.
    Beach Boys singin’
    ‘bout me and my friends.
    Taming the waves,
    And roller-blades,
    where the fun never ends.
    ****

a surfin’ girl-
    with no place to ride.
    Think I’ll hop a bus,
    my soul does lust
    for the lure of salt & the ocean.
    brush off some
    Of this desert dust-
    Head out West :
    “Good riddance” find a way
    to cool down this hot blisterin’ sun!”

“Hello you lovely
    Freaks and geeks.
    Hello Sea-gulls and sand.
    So glad to be back,
    Where the sun meets the surf
    I’m so happy to be
    on familiar home turf-
    Lovin’ the lure of it all:
    where the freaks and the geeks
    And I (“cuz I’m not one of em”),
    will always be:
    F***ing, far-out, Venice Beach!

• Theme Park Trips
    • Beaches

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Check out the entertainers

by malianrob Updated Jun 11, 2006

They are everywhere and they are from everywhere. I was checking out these guys from Jamaica and they were doing some crazy acrobatics for money. They were pretty good and very daring.
    Theres also weird entertainers and some dumb entertainers. Theres musicians, painters, singers belly dancers....and more.

Bust a move!

by heitzenrater Updated Feb 24, 2006

spin, spin, spin.

So you are walking down Venice beach (near muscle beach). Keep an eye out for the professional Beak dancers and other freeks. Strangely enough they are located adjacent the police station. Some of the performers kick some serious tail. I saw trick skateboarders, rollerbladers, break dancers, and any others skeem that they think they make money on, via tips. So go out and watch, and give money to the ones you like, or you can just stiff them. your choice. Have fun and enjoy.

Bring your paint can.

by heitzenrater Written Aug 19, 2005
    Bring your own paint

So you are walking down Venice beach (near muscle beach). Keep an eye out for the professional graffiti artists. Strangely enough they are located adjacent the police station. When looking at the walls you will notice it's paint on top of paint on top of paint. The Graffiti also begins to creep away of the walls. You will be able to find paint on the trees, and garbage cans. Its fun to watch and take pictures of. These guys (and maybe girls) can paint. Check it out.

• marinarena's Profile Photo

Do Eccentric People Watching!

by marinarena Written Mar 7, 2005
    eccentric one in Venice, CA

This character is one of many regular entertaining bunch at Venice Beach to see and meet. Everyone is approachable and friendly. They just love to bring a smile to your face.

There is usually a crowd on weekends, so expect to have the ultimate people watching occasion here. Whether if the locals of the beach, ones visiting from outside the city and tourists out of state or country, certainly there are some who will turn heads !

• Beaches

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

I can do this , I can ride this bike from a to b.

by Waalewiener Written Nov 24, 2004

I can do this I can do this

Well the idea is to ride this bike from point a to b ,no problem right , haha think again .
    Somehow this young man running this
    '' Show '' rigged his bike in a way that when someone else road this bike , the bike would collapse and go sideways ,and the rider could not stay on it .
    How did he do that ,I have NO idea ,but he made good money this way.
    SMART KID.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Continuation of our young entrepeneur and Bike .

by Waalewiener Written Nov 24, 2004

I'll take your money any time

Ok in this picture you can see this young man on his bike is taking money from another young man .
    Well the idea is to ride this bike from point a to point b .Well in the next picture you will see the young man trying to ride this bike .

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

A young man with a good idea to make a few bucks

by Waalewiener Written Nov 24, 2004

Smart young man on a bike

In this picture you see a young man on a Bicycle ,and he just has no problem riding
    his bike from point A to point b.
    H then promises a cash reward if someone in crowd watching him can ride his bike from
    a to b.
    see next Tip

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

There is a great Bicycle & Roller skating Path.

by Waalewiener Written Nov 9, 2004

Kids on 3 wheel bikes

There is a wonderful Path along the Beach in Venice Beach and it can be used for walking Roller Skating
    And little bicycles with 3 wheels as you see in the picture driven by whole families
    Just a nice place for taking the family.

WOW

by shivan Written Sep 11, 2004

Fonzie is still among us

Another shining example of how TV influenced us...
    Look at this marvellous specimen of 50s supercar.
    Can you imagine the first thing me and the other shopping-survivor have thought?
    X-Files?
    Star trek?
    Sex and the City?
    Nip&Tuck?
    Dallas?
    The Bill Cosby show?
    Nooooooooooooo!!

HAPPY DAYS!!!!
    Another myth of our childhood! So ancient that Ron Howard still had his hairs!
    This seems to be the Fonzie's sunday Car!!

• shivan's Profile Photo

The hard life of a wanna-be photographer

second seagull

"The hard life of a wanna-be photographer".
    According to me a proper title for this tip
    I just bought a new camera with a powerful zoom lens, and I wanted to try to make a close picture of this seagull.
    So I remained behind the others and started approching veeeery slowly to the bird.
    Step after step, after step, taking closer and closer pictures.
    While I was quite close enough, A STUPID MAN passed running close to the bird fearing him. The seagull flew away in no seconds, leaving me crying for anger.
    It's a hard life....

"Wild"life

first seagull

A nice addition to your beach holiday is a huge number of birds of many species flying around at low altitude.
    Pelicans fish at short distance from the beach (I finally got one of them in a picture after a long wait and many attempts, you can see it in my USA overview page's travelogues).
    Seagulls are also there in large number not fearing people at all.

Remembrances

a new way to get hurted

I first heard of this machinery years ago over the Net.
    His inventor, a genius whose name I don't remember at the moment, was advertising his new machine not still showing it but stating that it would have radically changed the way people will have intended for "private transport".
    Maybe he was right and not believed by the mass, and the facts have been that the invention have been released with great emphasis but I never heard of it since then. The first time I saw it again has been in Venice, but seems to me that people have kept it as a toy...

Instant Answers: Venice