Ventura Restaurants

Scotch and Sirloin Ventura
    by HotSpotJ

Most Recent Restaurants in Ventura

• tvdandy's Profile Photo

Aloha Steakhouse: Fantastic steak right on the beach!

by tvdandy Written May 26, 2011
    Aloha Steakhouse - Ventura, CA

I always make it a point to stop here everytime I am in Ventura. Not only does the steak melt in your mouth, but what a great location. The beach and boardwalk are steps away. Locals come here and belly up to the bar. They are always friendly and love to chat with tourists. The vibe is laidback but classy. Great service, great food, very friendly locals mixing with out of town surfers, eating steak while watching a sunset, what more can you ask?

Favorite Dish: Try the New York Strip. Melts in your mouth.

• tvdandy's Profile Photo

Palermo Coffeehouse: unique coffeehouse surroundings

by tvdandy Written May 26, 2011
    Palermo coffehouse - Ventura, CA

What makes this coffeehouse rather unique is the surroundings. This does not have the typical sterile Starbucks surrounding. In here, comfortable couches are surrounded by antiques and unique art. Very laidback vibe, where you can sit inside or out. A nice variety of people here, not your typical wannabe writer with a bitter look and a labtop.

Dargans Irish Pub: Grear bar scene

by HotSpotJ Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Dargans

Love me some Dargans- great place to stop in and grab some Guiness. This place has quite a heartbeat on the weekends, I'd almost classify this under nightlife in Ventura because the crowd gets decent in here at times!

Favorite Dish: I'vve never eaten food in here, but I can recommen the Guiness or a nice Black and Tan

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• Ferraro's in Ventura, CA: Never Again!!!

by TrueFan1947 Written Aug 9, 2008

"Horrible ambience (lighting, acoustics) made it impossible to read the menu easily or to have a simple conversation over "dinner". Most disconcerting and disappointing of all, the service was atrocious! I had to ask for a specific item 3 times...and STILL the server NEVER brought me the item! The food was just average...definitely nothing to rave about. Make sure, if you MUST eat there, that you double check your bill. I will NEVER eat there again, and will be proactive in dissuading anyone who asks my opinion. I eat out often, and have eaten Italian food all my life. This place is an INSULT!"

• Corrales: Best Burritos EVER

by Calib4co Written Jul 1, 2008

This walk-up Mexican food place is the best around. There are a few tables outside for you to sit and enjoy the beach weather. I know people from all around come into town and Corrales is the first place they hit!

Favorite Dish: Bean Rice and Cheese Burrito and taquitos

• Surfing

• Cafe Zack: LOVE this place! perfect for special occasions!

by Calib4co Written May 15, 2008

Cafe Zack is my absolute favorite place to dine in Ventura. It is a nice restaurant, so I find that we only go there for special occasions but each time Ive gone has been perfect. It is located in what seems to be an old house so it is very small and you would hardly notice it if driving by.

The dress is fairly casual (although, I wouldnt stroll in from a day at the beach without changing first-but you definitely dont have to get all dolled up). The waitstaff is always the same and so kind!

Defiantly a must try when you are in town!

Favorite Dish: They have a menu that always includes fresh scallops, steak, roasted chicken, etc. However, I always try to get something from their daily specials menu and have never been disappointed. Everything on the menu is incredible!

Their Brie baked in a puff pastery appetizer is a must try!

Also, if you like mussels-their scallop and mussel dish is amazing-but is a bit spicy so be ready for that!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

TOP HAT HAMBURGERS & HOT DOGS: CHILI CHEESE DOGS

by LoriPori Updated Apr 14, 2008

Top Hat

An institution in town and located on the Northwest corner of Main Street and Palm is the TOP HAT. The building itself, described as an "8 by 22 foot shack" has been there since the 40's. Established in 1966, owner Charlotte Bell has fed generations with her "greasy grub" which includes their famous chili cheese dogs, double cheeseburgers and fries which you can also have covered in chili. Not surprisingly the locals have an emotional attachment to the joint. I thought it was so cute and nostalgic. Bought a large root beer for $1.30. Folks were lined up to order their favourite dogs or burger.

Scotch and Sirloin: Enjoy a meal in the Harbor

Scotch and Sirloin Ventura

Scotch and Sirloin was chosen as the site for my company Christmas party. As with any large group, a few times the service lagged a bit, but overall they did a very good job keeping up with some of my co-workers demands. The food here was very good, very filling, and I'm sure many trips to the elliptical in the gym were due to my one afternoon here. Scotch and Sirloin serves only dinner, so unless you pre-book for a large lunch party, make reservations for after 4PM. Very good food with great waterfront dining!

Favorite Dish: The Onion Rings were HUGE and delicious, as was the sirloin and the cheesecake.

• Wine Tasting

Eric Erickson's Fish Co.: Enjoy a Sunset with your Salmon

Eric Ericksons as seen from the Pier

Eric Erickson's Fish Co. has a perfect location on the Ventura Pier that provides a priceless addition to any plate you order. I had the Ahi-Tuna and the meal wasn't to die for, but the company at the bar and the ocean waves and Pacific view while I ate made up for it. I came back to this place for drinks at sunset a few times, while not recommended for the best food, it does have the best view in Ventura.

Favorite Dish: The Black and Tan lol

• Beaches

Aloha Steakhouse: Great Food near the Pier

Aloha Ventura

I pulled up a seat at both Aloha locations (in Camarillo and Ventura) and enjoyed the meals and service at both locations . The Ventura location, in my opinion, had a better atmosphere, and is right on the Ventura pier. Its still quiet enough for a great business meeting though. I didn't take a photo but found one on the website, be sure to eat here if you're in the area!

Favorite Dish: The Herb Crusted Salmon

Cafe Bariloche: South American Cuisine

by HotSpotJ Updated Nov 4, 2007
    Cafe Bariloche'

This restaurant was very busy when I visited but still had decent service. I enjoyed the decor with many black and white sketchings of Hollywood past, though it didn't fit in with the menu or radiance of the restaurant. Overall I would go back again, I'd like to try some of the emplenadas on the menu!

Favorite Dish: Pudding cake for dessert was tasty.

• Business Travel

Rookees: Best Happy Hour in Ventura

by HotSpotJ Written Nov 4, 2007
    Rookees

Rookies is the one of the top sports bars I've been to North of Los Angeles. With 4 Hi-Def Plasmas lining the main bar andss more wrapped around the dining area, this place doesn't let you miss a moment of the game. Even better, the happy hour is amazing, with $3 beers and drinks, along with a great selection of $3 appetizers., you can't go wrong... and we all know you can actually watch the games at happy hour on the West Coast!

Favorite Dish: I like the $3 Sliders and Pyramid Ale,

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

Savory Cafe & Bakery: Terrific sandwiches

by Dabs Updated Oct 28, 2007

Kobe burger

2nd visit October 2007

Kat (keida84) and I had a nice leisurely Friday to spend hanging out so after getting our manicures and pedicures we headed to the Savory Cafe where we met up with Kris (Taz_mocha) for some lunch. We were seated right away at an indoor table with a view of the street and open air, there are also some outdoor dining tables.

Favorite Dish: There were a lot of sandwiches that looked appealing but the Kobe burger was the one that caught my eye. It was very good, topped with blue cheese, bacon, onion and tomato on a fresh bun. It came with a side of frites with a lovely dipping sauce, presented in a silver bucket.

Kat didn't care for her Caprese sandwich, I think she thought it wasn't flavorful enough but Kris enjoyed her chicken sandwich.

Kris says they normally have an amazing array of desserts but we looked in the display case and it was mostly breakfast pastries and cupcakes so we all passed on having dessert. Good thing as I was pretty stuffed from the burger!

Ferraro's Italian Restaurant: Good thin crust pizza

by Dabs Updated May 12, 2007

Ferraro's pizza

Kat wasn't kidding when she said that we needed to get here early on a Friday, arriving shortly before 6 pm we snagged one of the last open tables, by the time we left there were people waiting inside the restaurant and spilling out onto the sidewalk. Walking into the restaurant is like walking into a time warp, the decor probably hasn't been updated in all the years it's been there but no matter, it's the food that you come here for!

Favorite Dish: We started off with splitting a Sam's salad which could very easily make a meal on it's own, it was very good, full of Italian meats and cheeses, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, olives, topped with crumbled bleu cheese with a choice of 2 dressings. Kat always gets just the cheese pizza, Jersey style, so we did a large 1/2 cheese, 1/2 pepperoni which was very good. Still doesn't beat Chicago's Lou's though, does it Kat?

We brought a good amount of salad and pizza home for Kat's husband, the total bill was $30 and we could have easily feed 3 or 4 people. Kat tells me that the pizza doesn't reheat well so don't plan for leftovers.

Aloha Steakhouse: Great place on the beach

by Dabs Written Oct 29, 2006

Aloha Steakhouse was a perfect choice for a small VT get together with Kat (keida84), her husband Paul (Lumpmeister), e-mom Stephanie and Gerry. It was very busy on a Saturday night, the service in the beginning was a little slow but after that it was very good. Reservations are recommended.

Favorite Dish: The girls drank martinis while the men became the designated drivers, they were all good including my chocolate maraschino martini (which had cherries marinated for 96 hours ha, ha). We started with a couple of appetizers, calamari and peanut chicken, which were both good. I ordered the smaller Aloha cut of prime rib and it was huge and a very good cut of meat which came with salad and a choice of potato, I got the garlic mashed which was a good choice. The rest of the group tried teriyaki chicken, pork chops and sea scallops and everyone enjoyed their meals.

We all groaned when asked about dessert but that didn't stop us from digging into Stephanie's original hula pie ;-)

Instant Answers: Ventura

Comments

Ventura Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ventura restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ventura sightseeing.