Places to eat in Yosemite National Park

• Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria at Night in April 2013
    Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria at Night in...
    Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria in April 2013
    Trout Dinner with Bread Pudding Dessert

Most Viewed Restaurants in Yosemite National Park

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

Todd's Cookhouse and BBQ: Im sure we could smell the BBQ from Yosemite

by Madasabull Written Dec 14, 2013

Don't ask me how we did it, but after driving around Yosemite without the satnav on (stopped trusting the thing), we ended up coming out, back on the California side instead of Nevada where we were heading.

But we were so glad we did, because that's when we came to Todd's Cookhouse Bar-B-Que. One of our things to do on our road trip was to try some great BBQ and here was our first chance, and it was amazing. Pulled Pork! I mean, I had to try it, and it was just as I had dreamed it would be. Perfect.

This place was fantastic, and I would say to anyone passing, or getting lost a little in Yosemite as we did, to look out for this place and give it a go.

Lodge Mountain Room Restaurant: Lodge Dining Under the Falls

by atufft Updated Apr 5, 2013

If you are tired of standing in line with the food tray at the cafeteria, then by all means dine at the Mountain Room Restaurant. The food is uneven in both quality and portions. I had an Alaskan salmon burger, which sort of like a salmon spread turned into burger patty and fried, rather than a fillet. My wife had crab cakes, the two of which were about the size and shape of a silver dollar. But, my dad's chicken greek salad was a pretty good deal in terms of portions. We all stayed clear of the more expensive dinner items and skipped the desserts. A bottle of cheap wine will be triple the price of any other California restaurant. We choose to eat snacks in our room.

What really makes this place worthwhile, besides the decent waiter service, is the laminated beam ceiling room and wall of glass with Yosemite Falls in clear view. There's also an outstanding collection of framed photographic prints to appreciate. Service is good, but there are no reservations, and waiting involves signing up, getting a taser like noise device, and maybe a 45 minute wait.

Yosemite Lodge Mountain Room Restaurant Yosemite Lodge Mountain Room Restaurant Taser Yosemite Lodge Mountain Room Restaurant Yosemite Lodge Mountain Room Restaurant

Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria: Basics at an Alarming Price

by atufft Written Apr 5, 2013

Yosemite is run by a private concession that charges a fortune for practically everything the visitor does, and this is especially true for those staying at Yosemite Lodge. See accommodations tip on the lodge, but with this comes a cafeteria that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Food served on the tray is not too bad, but the prices are really high now that the government is expecting the concession to pay for the entire park (I hope). For example, a cup of oatmeal costs five dollars. Roughly speaking, breakfast for two will cost about $20- while dinner for two will cost about $40-. One DOES NOT have to be booked at the lodge to eat here, but if you are trying to get in and away with food here, like elsewhere, expect long lines for service.

Favorite Dish: For breakfast, the best deal is the Breakfast Combo, that includes two buttermilk pancakes, a scoop of scrambled eggs, and two strips of either bacon or sausage. If you need to bulk up on calories for the day, small tubs of peanut butter at the condiment bar.

For dinner, I like the filet of trout, with mixed greens, and rice. Nothing fancy, but considering what else is there, that's my choice.

Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria at Night in April 2013 Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria in April 2013 Trout Dinner with Bread Pudding Dessert

Yosemite Village Grill: Adequate Grub for Those in Need

by atufft Updated Apr 4, 2013

Yosemite Village Grill, which is between the Sport Shop and Village Store, has a sprawling deck with picnic tables and umbrellas. Stand in line, make your order for one of the sandwiches or fish & chips, and then wait with the numbered receipt. That's the service. It's fairly quick on most days, but see my tip for the Awahnee Hotel Bar food if your visit is on a crowded summer weekend. Prices are average, considering this a government concession. Don't expect anything but the usual American fast food grub. I usually order the grilled chicken sandwich as I don't like deep fried food. For those who want wine or beer, bottles can be bought in the Village Store, otherwise the grill has a self-serve soda system.

Favorite Dish: Pesto Chicken Sandwich and Chocolate Shake...

Yosemite Village Grill in April 2013 Yosemite Village Grill Yosemite Village Grill Hours

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Jackalope's Bar and Grill: Refreshing surprise!

by blueskyjohn Written Aug 9, 2012

I was quite surprised to find this resort a few miles from the Wawona entrance to Yosemite. The Tenaya Lodge is very big and modern and has several restaurants inside. We chose Jackalope's which had a nice menu. The Lodge is big as stated and with few dining option locally, all the patrons of the resort go to these 3 or 4 restaurants. We did not have to wait long for dinner. Seated pretty fast. The waiter was attentive but food took a little longer than usual to come out. We had the veggie burger with avocado, roasted red pepper hummus and chipolte mayo with a side of sweet potato fries. Also, the 7 seasoned Ahi. Both were very good and I would definitely repeat.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Hula's: Enroute to the Park

by Rixie Updated Aug 22, 2010

If you're driving to Yosemite via Highway 120, you'll probably need to stop along the way to eat.

We were fortunate enough to find Hula's in Escalon, about 100 miles or so from the west entrance to the park. They bill themselves as making the "Best Burgers in the Valley," and their hamburgers are quite good and come with fries and a small serving of soft ice cream.

There are all kinds of choices on the menu. You can have a burger with bacon, cheese, jalapeno peppers, pineapple, or guacamole, and the fries can be regular French fries, garlic fries, or sweet potato fries.

We were the only tourists in there - everyone else seemed to know each other and the staff. They seem to do a brisk local business.

Have a burger and a frostie to fortify yourself for the last part of your journey. They also serve breakfast all day. Open daily, 8 am to 9 pm.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Jackalope's: Outside the Park

by Rixie Written Aug 22, 2010

Jackalope's, named for the mythical animal that is a cross between a jack rabbit and an antelope, is one of the restaurants in the Tenaya Lodge, outside the park.

The atmosphere is casual, and we had some very good homemade soup and a sandwich for dinner.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Not Much on the Fly: food storage crimps the picnics

by richiecdisc Written Sep 23, 2009

One of the real hassles of having to use bear storage containers at all times for all food and scented items is you can't picnic on the fly. If you are a camper, especially one on a long trip, you always have food in your car, drinks in your cooler. You can stop anywhere and eat, saving money and enjoying the scenery at the same time. Well, at Yosemite, all of your goodies are in storage lockers, be they back at your camp, or in the parking lot of a hike, a lookout, or even Curry Village. We were at Glacier Point after a long day hike on which we had a fair amount of snacks but once at the viewpoint, we were depleted. We wanted to wait for the best light but realized we were too hungry to do so. The shop at the top had already closed so we had to leave and head back to camp where all our food was. Normally, we could have just gone to the car and grabbed something.

One time, just prior to a backpacking trip, we had found some empty bear lockers at the far end of the Tuolomne Campground where we were going to leave all our stuff while out on the hike. Prior to going, we figured we would cook up a meal and proceeded to do just that on top of the locker. While eating, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a bear was approaching so I quickly jumped up, crammed all the food we were eating into the storage locker and started to throw rocks at the bear. It was an adolescent and retreated quickly but it was still a bit of a fright. Needless to say, we finished up quickly and got on the trail.

bear cannister next to orange mat

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Yosemite Lodge food court: Overpriced

by chewy3326 Written Aug 26, 2006

The Yosemite Lodge Food Court is at the Yosemite Lodge at the falls. The food here isn't very good, and is overpriced; you'll have to spend about $10 per person. There is regular food court fare like pizzas, salads, sandwiches, etc. Their salads aren't very fresh, either. Not the best place for food in Yosemite Valley; better idea to head across to Curry Village, or as some other people do (we didn't) go to Degnan's Deli.

View from food court

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

The Velvet Rose: Don't Go Here!

by sunshinejo Written Jun 4, 2006

Well, this was a terrible choice of restaurant, I would never recommend this place. Our first complaint was that the service was so slow - 45 minute wait to be seated, followed by a further 15 minutes waiting for someone to come and take our order and another 30 minutes for the food to arrive. By which point we were ravenous!!! The food wasn't particularly good either, and when my dad complained about his dinner (a rather stodgy, luke-warm mess that they were trying to pass off as a lasagne!) the manager not only failed to apologise or take any steps to resolve the matter, but he refused even to acknowledge that there was a problem. Not exactly my idea of good customer service. All in all, it was a very disappointing evening.

I hate to write such negative reviews, and even if I've been displeased with something I'll try and add a bit of positive spin to my tips, but try as I might I can think of nothing good to say about this place. I'm sorry.

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

Tamaya Lodge: best burgers in the world!

by sunshinejo Written Jun 4, 2006

On our first night in Yosemite we ate at in the bar at the Tamaya Lodge. Although there's also a restaurant, the bar was fine for us. It was a bit crowded and we had to wait about 20-30 minutes for a table, but the service was good and the food was EXCELLENT!!!

Favorite Dish: We all had burgers with various toppings. I forget what was on my mine, but I do remember that it was the best burger I've EVER tasted and it was very filling. I would definitly recommend this place!

• squidly2's Profile Photo

The bar at the Ahwahnee: If you can't afford the dining room...

by squidly2 Written Mar 27, 2006

Okay, so not everyone can afford the dining room at the Ahwahnee. But there is a great pub/bar there too that has nice views towards the amazing granite cliffs. The service is friendly, it's open all afternoon and evening, and you can enjoy it on a moderate budget. All orders come with bread (even if you're just getting an appetizer they'll bring it for free if you ask.) A hearty bowl of chili is $8. A beer is about $6. Not a bargain, but combined with the loaction, I think it's unbeatable. At about 6pm on the Friday we were there (March) there was a live piano player. After drinks, we plopped down in a sofa (no, you don't have to be a guest) and enjoyed one of the many fireplaces. Highly recommended!

• Hiking and Walking

• KevinMichael's Profile Photo

The Wawona Hotel Restaurant: Great Buffet and Good Dinners

by KevinMichael Updated Jan 24, 2006

I think that they may very well have the most exquisite buffet I’ve ever experienced. The atmosphere has a bit of an old fashioned feeling about it. The staffs are nice, entertaining, and there’s even a professional rag-time pianist who plays in one of the rooms across from the lobby.

Favorite Dish: I definitely loved the lamb. The fish was really good, too. I ate some kind of fish I had never had before. They serve it cooked.

The desserts were a little too sweet for my wife and me so we couldn’t finish them. I have definitely developed the same sensitivities that Japanese people have to American food.

Japanese sweets are really mild compared with American sweets which are quite rich in comparison.

Wawona Hotel Restaurant: Worth a stop for lunch before the Big Trees

by atufft Written Sep 19, 2005

The old Wawona Hotel accomodations are a quaint experience, but the restaurant is the better deal. For about $30- two people can have a decent lunch with glasses of wine. The high decorated wood beam ceilings, pine cone chandeliers, and tall casement windows that open towards the lawn and golf course are inspiring enough. The service is quick and friendly. The wine list is similar to the Awahnee Patio Bar, but the lunch menu is much more extensive. Hamburgers and grilled chicken sandwiches with French fries are typical at the lower end, but salmon and beef steaks fill out the upper end of the price scale. The list of organic green salads is impressive enough to match most Bay Area upper end restaurants. I didn't dine for breakfast or dinner, but the advertisements for each were encouraging. Sunday brunch was to be a buffet while the dinner was to be followed by live music and dancing.

Favorite Dish: I don't dine heavily at lunch, so I took the chicken sandwich. It had bacon, cheddar cheeze, lettuce, and dill pickle as garnish, along with a sizeable portion of French fries. The California Chardonnay was as good as one expects from a restaurant wine list.

Wawona Hotel Restaurant Wawona Hotel Lobby

• atufft's Profile Photo

Awahnee Hotel Bar and Patio: Don't stand in line at the Yosemite Village Grill!

by atufft Written Sep 19, 2005

I took a friend for a tour of the park on a busy July day, and after seeing the standing line at the Yosemite Village Grill, I decided we better walk to the Awahnee to save time. The Bar and Patio area have long lunch hours, and so in a pinch one could fill in dinner here too, if the high price or unavailability of reservations at the Hotel Restaurant prevent that fantastic opportunity. The bar has a pleasant patio with a view of the back lawn and swimming pool. The price isn't so bad, but the choices are mainly cold and limited.

Favorite Dish: I've had the Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken, Cold Roast Beef Sandwich with Organic Potatoe Chips, and the Chili. The wine list and bar is extensive enough. Reservations aren't required and space is almost aways available immediately. Service is generally quick and excellent. Sure, prices will be higher than at the Village Grill, but two people can enjoy good service and the ambience of nature for about $50-, including glasses of wine.

Awahnee Hotel Patio Two Awahnee Plates

Latest: Jul 13, 2014
White Wolf Campground
Latest: Aug 8, 2013

Instant Answers: Yosemite National Park

Comments

Yosemite National Park Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Yosemite National Park locals.
Map of Yosemite National Park