Boulder Favorites

• Favorites
    by shohman

Most Recent Favorites in Boulder

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

don't drink the water, drink the beer

by richiecdisc Written Dec 23, 2009

loving life at Avery in Boulder, CO

Favorite thing: Boulder is a very cool town. If you like the great outdoors and an alternative flair, it's one place you might like to call home. One of its assets is great beer. Home to many small craft brewers, if you enjoy good beer, you are bound to enjoy Boulder. One place to not miss is Avery Brewing. It's quite possibly Colorado's best and right in Boulder. Prost.

Fondest memory: It was nice to wake up in our tent, in my comfy sleeping bag. Normally, I would dread camping when in a town but my previous stab at a room in Boulder had led me to a roach-infested hovel of a hostel back in 1994. US hostels are not the best and that one in particular was about the worst. Sure, you could walk to the brewpubs but unless you drank even more than I did, you would have a tough time sleeping once there.

Boulder is a fairly pricey town and after checking the new hostels on the web, it sounded similar to my nightmarish experience so I started to check for campgrounds. As chance would have it, my wife had grabbed one of those cheap hotel discount magazines for Colorado and that's how we happened upon Boulder Mountain Lodge which just happened to have a campground on-site. It was kind of funny, now that our six-month camping extravaganza around the US was coming to an end, we weren't looking as forward to our occasional room. I guess we had become so used to camping that we knew we would miss it. There's something about being outside all the time that is just better for you. The truth was, neither of us had gotten sick that summer and being outside surely must have been part of the reason. We knew we had some places coming up on our drive back east where we would have to get a room but for this moment, we enjoyed one of our last nights sleeping in our tent, a place that had been our home in some of the most beautiful places on the planet. It was understandable that we would miss it.

• Beer Tasting
    • Camping

find the deer

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

Favorite thing: One morning I woke up and looked out my window to see a deer looking back at me. I quicly grabbed my camera and went outside. I saw there were three, a buck and two fawns. They looked at me then went back to foraging.

Fondest memory: From less than 20 feet away, I watched these deer for 20 minutes before they moved on. I only wish my camera took a better shot, If you look real close, you can see the buck's eyes.

beware the white man

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

Favorite thing: It always shames me when I read of how the Native American's were forced off their land and killed off by the white man. Chief Niwot wanted to be peaceful, and was killed off just a few years after the white man arrived. There are several monuments in his honor here. Stop and read up on him.

don't pollute, jerky.

by shohman Written Nov 16, 2006

Favorite thing: people here truly care about their surroundings. It is very clean the locals want to keep it that way. The water in the creek is very clear and it supports all type of wildlife. So please respect your surroundings and don't litter ot pollute.

• Amazing scenery and trails

by jzolson Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: On the highway on the way out of Boulder to Estes Park (Scenic Highway) stop along the pull-offs and check out the sights. Arrange to have enough time to stop and picnic or do some hiking. We did not realize how much we would want to explore and there were amazing sight and photo opportunities. Boulder has some amazing rock formations, beware of some traffic on the highway (can be slow moving).

Fondest memory: The enviornment is enchanting. It seemed as though the culture slowed down and it was cool to be surrounded by other people interested in the mountains, hiking, nature and adventure!!!

Chautauqua Park

by goingsolo Updated Oct 16, 2004

Boulder

Favorite thing: Chautauqua Park is a center of arts, culture and education rather than recreation. The Chautauqua is a unique creation developed in the 1800s by a group of Sunday School teachers seeking to promote adult education. The movement was popular in the late 1800s and early 1900. Today, there are only three permanently standing Chautauquas, on of which is located just outside the main part of Boulder.

The park has several short hiking trails, but its main features are the auditorium where concerts are played, and performances are held, including the Colorado Music Festival, and the community house, which hosts lecture series and poetry readings. The Chautauqua dining hall is also located within the park.

Chautauqua Park is located at 900 Baseline Road

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel

Boulder Creek Path

by goingsolo Updated Oct 16, 2004

Boulder

Favorite thing: Boulder Creek Path is a popular walking, jogging and bicycling path which runs through the city. As its name suggests, the path follows Boulder Creek. The main path, which is about 5 miles long, splits off into a series of biking and walking trails running through the city and along the river, creating a 20 mile network of trails.

Indian Peaks wilderness

by goingsolo Updated Oct 14, 2004

Colorado

Favorite thing: Indian Peaks is so named because of the numerous jagged moutain summits in the area. This designated wilderness area is close to Boulder and is only about 25 miles west of the city. There are lots of hiking trails leading to alpine lakes and mountain summits. But the area is so heavily used that permits are required for overnight camping during the months of June through September.

• Boulder is a fairly nice, friendly town

by denver1983 Updated Jun 1, 2003

Favorite thing: People in Colorado often say Boulder is stuck-up and rich...this is not true...there are several interesting places to go in Boulder

--The flatiron mountain section of the front range sits right on Boulder, you definiitely will want to take your camera

--The air in Boulder is so clean...I mean you can smell it...and the watershed quality in Boulder for like 10 years have been amongst the best in the country

--Boulder's pearl street mall has alot of interesting stuff for kids to do, they always interesting performances and circuses for people

--Starvin petes at 12th and pearl, on the pearl street mall which is a smaller, more homogenous clone of Denvers 20 block 16th street mall has excellent burritos and I believe last time I was there I had like a veggie and tofu burrito for like 3 dollars (at prices like that thats a sign of the down to earth people who live in Boulder

• enjoy the local mountains and...

by tvilot Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: enjoy the local mountains and parks. Boulder is surrounded by something like 150 square miles of open space. If you like rock climbing, go south to Eldorado Springs. Some of the finest rock climbing and kayaking is there.

Fondest memory: The Flatirons (the mountains just to the west of town). They are distinctive, beautiful, and they are dramatic.

• flatironvws's Profile Photo

Take a stroll along the Pearl...

by flatironvws Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a stroll along the Pearl Street mall, if only to say you've done it. Summer evenings are the best, with lots of buskers.

Fondest memory: I grew up in south Boulder, near Viele Lake. Some of my best memories involve lying on my back in the green grass of the park next to the lake, gazing up at the puffy white clouds, absorbing the sounds and scents of summer.

Did I mention the views of Bear Mountain are breathtaking?

• tff986s's Profile Photo

visit the pedestrian mall in...

by tff986s Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: visit the pedestrian mall in downtown boulder on a weedend nite; much amateur entertainment, nite life, etc.
    also if time permits a trip to estes park [app 1+ hours into the mountains] makes a great day trip
    shopping at the new flatiron mall in rock creek just outside of boulder is fascinating also

Fondest memory: mountains, bicycling, hiking, road trips, wonderful weather, stunning scenery

• valdez's Profile Photo

take a walk along the Pearl...

by valdez Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: take a walk along the Pearl Street Mall. It has all these wonderful shops and street performers to be entertained by. Also, everyone must take a picnic with them as they walk along one of the many trails in Chataqua Park

Fondest memory: My favorite memory is taking part in the 'World's Shortest Parade' on St. Patty's Day. When I'm away I miss my friends and entertainment that Boulder has within it.

• Teledude's Profile Photo

Well, MUST is a pretty heavy...

by Teledude Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Well, MUST is a pretty heavy term. There's really nothing you MUST do but this is one of my favorites: In Spring, after the colors have come back to the trees and grass, go to Chautaqua Park and take a short (or long) hike on the trails above. The view of the Flatirons (our ubiquitous mountain backdrop) is most often photographed from here. The park itself is small but pleasant. This is a great place for a picnic or a hike up into the foothills to watch climbers try their skill on the Flatirons themselves. There are many trails that lead up into the foothills from here. Beware though, it does get pretty crowded during the afternoons. Go early and you'll enjoy the peace and freshness of a real Rocky Mountain morning.

Fondest memory: Well my fondest is probably one of my firsts. Driving west into Boulder on U.S. 36 from the east. Driving west on 36 in the late spring you can see the white-capped mountains from some distance. As you get closer, you don't realize there is a city nestled right at the gateway to all that beauty. You know it's there but you can't see it. As you come up a long hill and gaze at the mountains rising from the plains, you eventually crest the hill. It drops before you and the entire Boulder Valley (not a true valley) stretches out before you. And you think 'I am going to be living there?!' From this vantage point, the outdoor recreation options that are quintessential Boulder finally become apparent. It is an outdoor lovers paradise!

• Hike, bike, rock climb, shop,...

by mirandal Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Hike, bike, rock climb, shop, cafe hop, take Pearl St. by storm, attend festivals, and many other things.

Fondest memory: I love the atmosphere of Boulder, it's perfect little bubble to escape too. Relax there for a few days and whether you're activity oriented or not, there's always a variety of activities to take part in.

Instant Answers: Boulder

Comments

Boulder Favorites

Reviews and photos of Boulder favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boulder sightseeing.