Boulder Restaurants

The Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse
    by webbcam
    a damn fine burger and decent beer
    by richiecdisc
  • bring your own picnic & the beer is free!
    bring your own picnic & the beer is...
    by richiecdisc

Most Recent Restaurants in Boulder

• Sunflower: A place to appreciate

by kcbrit Written Aug 8, 2007

Wow! I couldn't have designed a better menu myself! I love vegetarian and health foods so this place was made for me. And at lunchtime it was hopping. Visitors and business people alike enjoying great food.

• Tlear's Profile Photo

Red Lion Restaurant Boulder, CO: Tourist Trap!

by Tlear Written Jul 15, 2007

WE ARE FROM BOULDER AND HAD NEVER VISITED THIS RESTAURANT AND WE WILL NEVER EVER VISIT IT AGAIN!

THE FOOD WAS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST FOOD I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED IN SUCH AN EXPENSIVE TYPE RESTAURANT!

FIRST, THE FOOD WAS SO LUKE WARM, IT ONLY TOOK MINUTES BEFORE IT WAS VERY COLD! THE GARLIC MASHED POTATOES WERE SO OLD THE OUTSIDE OF THE POTATOES HAD FORMED INTO A HARD SHELL! MY BAKED POTATO WAS TINY AND OLD ALSO - SO OLD THE MEAT OF THE POTATO WAS STUCK TO THE SIDES OF THE OLD SKIN!

MY DINNER SALAD HAD OBVIOUSLY BEEN MADE IN THE LUNCH HOURS AND SAT IN THE FRIDGE ALL DAY. IT WAS VERY SKIMPY AND THE RANCH DRESSING WAS HORRIBLE! IT TASTED LIKE NO-FAT RANCH DRESSING!

WE ARE HAVING GUESTS COME HERE TO BOULDER TO VISIT IN EARLY AUGUST AND WE WERE GOING TO TAKE THEM TO THIS RESTAURANT. WE WILL NOT BE DOING THAT NOW!

THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TRAP TOURISTS AND BE REWARDED FOR SUCH INCOMPETENCY.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

BJ's Restaurant and Brewery: Good beer, good food

by AcornMan Updated Mar 25, 2007

There are several brewpubs in Boulder. BJ's has decent beer, though I've certainly had better. The food is quite good though. Their Chicago style pizza in particular is impressive. One thing I didn't realize until after I went there is that it's actually a national chain, with locations all over the country. That certainly takes some of the fun out of it. I prefer local places, and there's no shortage of those in Boulder.

• whirledpeas0621's Profile Photo

Himalayas Restaurant: The Best Indian Food I've Ever Had. Ever.

by whirledpeas0621 Written Jan 19, 2007

The Himalaya serves Indian, Nepalese and Tibetan foods. I must say, it is seriously the most incredible Indian food I've ever had (and I've had my share of Indian food!). The restaurant is below ground-level, and it's decorated with beautiful fabrics as well as pictures and paintings from India, Tibet and Nepal. True to Indian restaurants (as well as Boulder restaurants!), there is a very large vegetarian selection that everyone will enjoy. There are also lamb and chicken dishes.

Favorite Dish: Their baigun bharta is absolutely fantastic. I can't order anything else because this dish is completely perfect. Order it with some naan bread and a cup of their tasty chai.

• Study Abroad

• whirledpeas0621's Profile Photo

Dushanbe Tea House: Breath-Taking

by whirledpeas0621 Written Jan 19, 2007

This tea house is the only one of its kind in the entire Western Hemisphere. It was shipped over in pieces from Tajikistan. Everything is intricately hand painted and carved, and it's worth going to if only for its beauty! However, the food is *incredible* too. They have a large selection of vegetarian options, although they cater to meat-eaters as well. There are a lot of teas to choose from, but the waiters are extremely knowledgeable and will give you a hand choosing. It's fine to go for tea and dessert, but they also serve breakfast, brunch and dinner. Patrons also visit for the coffee bar.

Favorite Dish: I've only eaten a meal there once, and I had the fritata. It was excellent. The best dessert option they offer is the chai flan, and I recommend it with the vanilla nut rooibus tea.

• Forsberg21's Profile Photo

Illegal Pete's: Broke? Pete will cook

by Forsberg21 Updated Dec 28, 2006

Illegal Pete's is a local chain best known for its tacos and Big Fish burrito, a classic meal for the starving college student. While it's a bit of an exaggerations to say that Illegal Pete's is cheap, it's certainly a good bargain if you consider the quality and quantity for what you get. After living in Sweden and not getting much for the same price (something like $8 for a crappy McDonald's burger!!?), I'm never going to complain about the price of a Big Fish again (even though they jacked up the prices a few years ago).

An reasonable order with a drink should cost you around $8.

If you're not too big on burritos, they've got tacos, nachos and salads as well.

Illegal Pete's also has a location on the 16th St. Mall as well as a few locations in the Denver suburbs, but the Boulder locations are on Pearl St. & 15th (?) and College Ave. on the Hill near Broadway.

I'm not sure about all locations, but you can get a beer with your burrito, too.

Favorite Dish: I think you might've already figured this out, but I love the Big Fish. Here's my exact order, and I highly recommend it: Big Fish with black beans, pico de gallo, cheese and sour cream, yes on the fish sauce, add guac (it's extra for guacamole).

• Study Abroad

K'ow Thai: great Thai

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

K'how Thai has won the Best Thai award every year since it opened. It's a small shop, but very good food and fast service. You order at the counter and grab a seat. About 2 minutes later they bring your food which is served with rice, egg roll and soup.

Favorite Dish: I had a spicy curry with zucchini, green beans, chicken and onion. It was very good and very hot!

The Sink: My kind of place

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

The Sink has been around since 1923 and is located a short walk from the CU campus. I had the most enjoyable time here when I sat at the small bar and ordered a burger. I was quickly informed it was happy hour, or STD (Sink's two dollar) They have $2 appetizers, but also $2 drafts. Not cheap, watered down drafts, but any draft from their wide selection. I was so happy when I saw my second favorite beer in the world on draft (Samuel Adam's Octoberfest) and at $2 I couldn't resist.
    But the real joy came from the friendly conversation I had there. To my left was a man about 15 years older than me waiting to meet his daughter, a student at CU. To my right was a student at CU, about 15 years younger than me. We all had a great conversation about beers of the World, Colorado, Chemistry, Florida, cheeseburgers, skiiing, women, and fitness.
    what a perfect way to eat a burger :)

Favorite Dish: I had Herbie's special, a burger, fries and a side salad with a red pepper dressing. It was very good

• shohman's Profile Photo

Dot's Diner on the hill: Old school diner with a twist

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

I was told to go to Dot's by a local. Located on the Hill, Dot's is a tiny, dive of a diner. Or is it? I sat at the tiny counter next to two ripe homeless men, one in an intense debate with himself. The grill and chef were about two feet from the counter. Even though this place looked like an old time greasy spoon, it had a pretty creative menu. Omelets with feta and artichoke, ranchos huevros, and typiclal bacon and egg dishes.

Favorite Dish: I chose the mexican breakfast burrito stuffed with eggs, cheese, potato and then covered in green chili sauce. On a cold morning, this really hit the spot.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Tom's Tavern: mmm, that is one tasty burger!

by shohman Written Nov 16, 2006

Everytime I go somewhere new, I have to try the local burger. So when I asked a local where I could get one, he pointed across the street and said, "you won't find a better burger anywhere" he was right! This place was great, like everywhere else in Boulder, you have a view of the mountains, and the service and food here were top notch. I talked with several of the locals here about everything from dogs to Boston

Favorite Dish: I got a burger and a guinness. All the beef is steroid free, corn fed cattle and you can really taste the difference!

Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse: More than a restaurant

by shohman Written Nov 16, 2006

This is a great story, a work of art! in the 80's Boulder made the small Country of Tajikistan it's sister city. The government of Tajikistan then commissioned the finest artist's available to creat this teahouse as a gift to Boulder. After several years the gift was shipped to Boulder in over 40 containers and assembled. Pictures don't do this place justice, but it is a must-see if you go to Boulder.

Favorite Dish: They have a huge tea menu and also serve food. I went for breakfast and had the Monkey Paw green tea (subtle and delicious) and then had eggs with apple-almond pancakes. The food was out of this world as well. But I have to say the highlight was looking at the fine craftmanship from the floors to the ceilings.

Illeagal Pete's: big, fat burrito's

by shohman Written Nov 16, 2006

Illegal Pete's makes gigantic burrito's. They mix everything together before rolling the tortilla instead of layering like most places. This was the first place I ate in Boulder and it really hit the spot. I noticed they were winners of 'best burrito in Boulder' year after year.

Favorite Dish: I had a chicken burrito with zuchinni, onion, squash, rice and salsa. It was fantastic.
    'burp'

• reneeyung's Profile Photo

Rhumba: Rhumba is Yumba!

by reneeyung Written Aug 20, 2006

Rhumba is possibly my favorite restaurant in Boulder. Carribean cuisine at its best! And that's saying a lot because Boulder has great restaurants! If you are craving a great mojito and coconut curry, RUN, don't walk to this place!

Favorite Dish: Coconut Curry is superb! You can get it with tofu, chicken, lamb or plain veggie. I think the lamb is great. You can also order the spiciness to taste. When they say hot, they mean hot! This dish is perfect size for sharing.

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Folsom Street Cafe: Folsom Street Cafe

by leafmcgowan Written Aug 8, 2006

a nice community coffee shop with a bit of flair and deco. Friendly staff and a entertaining establishment, with games, books, entertainment, events, and free-wifi. Get your passcode from the barista. Chai is good, but simple, not very sweet. Great pastries. Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

• AdamCode's Profile Photo

Cosmo's Pizza: Cosmo's Pizza!

by AdamCode Written Jul 28, 2006

This is a great college-town pizza place located on "The Hill" at Broadway and University street. If you want to get the best impression of this place, you have to go around 2am, especially on the weekends (Thurs, Fri, Sat). At 2am all the bars will be closing and people will be looking for some "drunk food" to absorb some of that alcohol! This place will usually be packed with a large line out the door at this time, so be ready to wait, and watch as various drunken college shananigans occur.

Pizza is New York style and is best by the slice. DEFINITELY try the SPICY RANCH sauce for dipping!

Instant Answers: Boulder

Comments

Boulder Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Boulder restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boulder sightseeing.