Boulder Restaurants

The Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse
    by webbcam
    a damn fine burger and decent beer
    by richiecdisc
  • bring your own picnic & the beer is free!
    bring your own picnic & the beer is...
    by richiecdisc

Best Rated Restaurants in Boulder

The Walnut Brewery: even dressed up, an old friend

some find food & beer at The Walnut Brewery

The Walnut Brewery was not on the agenda of my return visit to Boulder in 2008. Though it must have been good enough in 1994 to prod me into buying one of their t-shirts, it did not look overly promising when I check out their website prior to returning. It looked to have gone a bit upscale and corporate and with only one night in town, I figured Mountain Sun would do the trick. While walking around town after having dinner at Mountain Sun, we just happened to walk right by the Walnut Brewery and my wife nicely agreed to going in for just one beer. It was a very nice place but as I had envisioned, a bit corporate and upscale. We sat at the bar since we were not intending on eating.

Favorite Dish: Once we saw the menu, we realized were not exactly stuffed from our burgers at Mountain Sun so decided to split the special of the day: pork loin over mashed potatoes with green beans. Though pricier than Mountain Sun, it was heavenly and we probably could have eaten a whole one each despite having already eaten. Hiking and camping in freezing temperatures burns a lot of calories I guess!

The beers were surprising good. 1) Oktoberfest-Rich malty fest beer w/ some spicy notes. Not too sweet and semi-dry finish. 2) Devil's Thumb-Black w/ thin tan head. Roasty bitterness w/ some chocolate notes. 3) 1123 IPA-cask-Light golden w/ thin creamy head and soft mouthfeel. Dry and slightly bitter. Easy drinking session beer.

We paid $28 for three pints, the one meal and tip.

• Luxury Travel

Mountain Sun: not quite what I remembered

a damn fine burger and decent beer

Mountain Sun was one of the brewpubs from my 1994 first visit to Colorado that I wanted to return to most. It ranked second after Wynkoop in Denver for that honor. I remember it being this incredibly cool place, with a big oval bar, great friendly bartenders and locals that welcomed you like you had been coming there for ages. I was a little perplexed to walk into a narrow long restaurant with a very small bar all the way at the rear. It was packed, that much was familiar but grabbing a stool at the bar looked entirely out of the question so we queued up for a table. Once we got one of those, everything else fell into place. It was still this alternative-looking place but now it seemed to be more a restaurant and it had lost much of its charm for me. It was none-the-less a nice place to celebrate our successful stint at Rocky Mountain National Park.

After five days of camping, we were both dying for some meat. Beef being the choice, we both opted for the Bacon Cheese Burger ($6.95)-1/3 lbs of all natural, antibiotics/steroid free Colorado beef topped with cheddar, a few nice strips of bacon (not sure if this was so natural!), tomato and lettuce. It came with corn chips but we paid the extra buck to get their fresh cut french fries. They were well worth it and the burgers were top notch. They seemed a bit small but maybe we were just hungry from all the hiking!

Favorite Dish: The beers were good but nothing really special. I guess back in 1994, this was one of the first places I visited and to be honest, the overall quality of craft beer back then was not as good as it is today. At any rate, the they went down well. 1) Annapurna Amber-nitro-Unfiltered amber w/ creamy head and mouthfeel. Great mix of hops & malt. Nothing out of the ordinary but well made and easy to drink. 2) Colorado Kind Ale-Dark amber w/ run of the mill hops/malt mix. Would have been better if waiter had brought this before above as I had ordered it! 3) Isadore Java Porter-Black w/ thin tan head and coffee nose. Bitter chocolate palate and semi-dry bitter finish. Nice. 4) Old School Dry Irish Stout-nitro-Black w/ creamy tan head. A real Guinness clone with sourish malt interplayed well with roasty bitterness. Not my style but very well made. 5) Illusion Dweller IPA-nitro-Unfiltered amber. A very clean dry hoppy beer made smoother by intro serve. Decent malt presence. Probably the best of the non-dark beers. Stick to the porter if that's what you normally drink.

Sixteen ounce pints were $3.50. Eight once glasses are a whopping $2.75! Happy Hour 4-6.

We paid $45 for dinner, beers, and tip.

• Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Avery Brewing: crem de la crem

by richiecdisc Written Dec 23, 2009

bring your own picnic & the beer is free!

Avery Bewing is the big boy of Colorado craft beer. Though it was around (just barely) on my 1994 swing through the state, it was not well known until winning a gold medal that very autumn at the Great American Beer Festival. It's been all up since then and we can even get their well-made beers in South Florida now. Despite their success, the remain a quirky affair and was every glad we decided to stop at their tasting room on our way back from Denver, heading towards South Dakota. It was the highlight beer-wise of our 2008 Colorado visit though I guess New Belgium was the most fun.

Avery Brewing is located in an ugly industrial complex on the outskirts of Boulder so the average tourist would never make it out there. With only one night in town, even a beer aficionado like myself didn't make it. But I did take the long way to South Dakota from Denver with a brief re-visit to Boulder only a day after the first for one reason only: Avery Brewing! Once you walk in the door of the tasting room, it's less than ideal location fades. It's a nice roomy, all wood bar with a small bar at which you place your orders. The bartender was very friendly. You get five wooden tokens for free and each one is worth a healthy six-ounce sample. The had many of their noted beers on tap. Since my wife was nice enough to drive the remaining leg of our escape from Colorado, she gave me most of her tasters so I had ten to work with. The bartender was a bit lax on collecting the tokens and I purchased a few extras so had more than my share. Hey, I don't know when I'll ever get back out here again!

At the time, they did not serve any food but I see from their website that they now have some simple items. Since they had no food, the bartender said we could order food from somewhere else for delivery. We opted to sit outside since it was a sunny warm day and broke out the cheese and Wasa bread, the perfect accompaniment to the great beers of Avery. 1) White Rascal-5.6%-Honey hued authentic Belgian style witbier w/ corriander/clove interplay. Nice clean finish. Well done. 2) Ellie's Brown-5.6%-Rich malty brown ale w/ spicy overtones, reminiscent of a Marzen. 3) Old Jubilation-8%-Mahogany Christmas ale, spicy from addition of fine malts rather than spices. Just the right hops to make for an amazingly clean finish for a beer of this strength. 4) Salvation-9%-Golden pale ale in the Duvel mold. Firm malty palate but drying well in semi-bitter finish. All too easy to drink at this strength. 5) Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest-9.5%-cask-Super rich malty fest style lager w/ some spicy notes. Not as crisp & dry as a true Marzen but then again about 4% stronger. A little disappointing, it sounded almost too good to be true.

Favorite Dish: 6) Collaboration-Avery's Belgian Double mixed with Russian River's (noted brewery in Santa Rosa, CA)-Unfiltered amber w/yeasty fruit palate. Semi-dry clean finish. Very nice. 7) The Reverend-10%-Huge malt presence w/ dried fruit & cherry overtones in Avery's attempt at a Quadrupple. Slightly sour semi-dry finish. Not bad for something so ambitious. 8) Liquor Mart Pale Ale-Deep golden Belgian style pale ale with fruit palate and clean fry finish. Bad name for a very good beer. Surprising. 9) Maharaja Imperial IPA-11%-Talk about huge malt. Talk about huge hops. Talk about all too easy to drink for 11%. A Beautiful mix of bready malt and citrusy hops. Clean dry finish. Another winner. 10) IPA-6.5%-Light golden firm hoppy brew well-balanced with Munich malt which imparts some fruitiness. Dry and bitter but not overly so. Very nice. 11)IPA-cask-Softer body but same same lovely interplay of hops and malt as above. 12) Ale to the Chief-dry-hopped-Rich malty toffee overtones w/ equally big hop presence making for a balanced complex ale with along dry finish. Lovely.

We bought some bottles for later too: 13) Out of Bound Stout-Black w/ tan head. Very dry and bitter stout that remains quite drinkable and smooth due to generous malt additions. 14) Hog Heaven-9.2%-Avery's barley-wine is slightly filtered w/ a massive head and citrus hop nose. Huge malt palate but easily balance by equally huge hop additions. 15) The Czar Imperial Stout-11.7%-Black opaque w/ dense tan head and dried fruit/anise nose. Full-bodied massive stout w/ roasty malt palate and bittersweet finish. Fairly dry considering how the strength.

We paid $21 for our extra beers and bottles to go plus tip. This is a great stop. Just make sure you have a designated driver or if staying in town, take a taxi! Thanks, D. :)

• Beer Tasting

Illeagal Pete's: big, fat burrito's

by shohman Written Nov 16, 2006

Illegal Pete's makes gigantic burrito's. They mix everything together before rolling the tortilla instead of layering like most places. This was the first place I ate in Boulder and it really hit the spot. I noticed they were winners of 'best burrito in Boulder' year after year.

Favorite Dish: I had a chicken burrito with zuchinni, onion, squash, rice and salsa. It was fantastic.
    'burp'

K'ow Thai: great Thai

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

K'how Thai has won the Best Thai award every year since it opened. It's a small shop, but very good food and fast service. You order at the counter and grab a seat. About 2 minutes later they bring your food which is served with rice, egg roll and soup.

Favorite Dish: I had a spicy curry with zucchini, green beans, chicken and onion. It was very good and very hot!

Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse: More than a restaurant

by shohman Written Nov 16, 2006

This is a great story, a work of art! in the 80's Boulder made the small Country of Tajikistan it's sister city. The government of Tajikistan then commissioned the finest artist's available to creat this teahouse as a gift to Boulder. After several years the gift was shipped to Boulder in over 40 containers and assembled. Pictures don't do this place justice, but it is a must-see if you go to Boulder.

Favorite Dish: They have a huge tea menu and also serve food. I went for breakfast and had the Monkey Paw green tea (subtle and delicious) and then had eggs with apple-almond pancakes. The food was out of this world as well. But I have to say the highlight was looking at the fine craftmanship from the floors to the ceilings.

Falafel King Restaurant: a break from the beer

Vegetarian Plate at Falafel King

Man does not live on beer alone and brewpub food can get a bit repetitive. D & I love middle eastern food so when we were strolling around Boulder the day after our Boulder brewpub excursion and knowing we'd be eating dinner at yet another brewpub in Denver that night, we happened upon Falafel King. This very small eatery is right on Pearl Street so very convenient. They had outside seating and it was a glorious day so very happy with the choice. Your order inside and carry the food out cafeteria style so you avoid having to tip. It's a great place to people watch and enjoy the very carefree atmosphere of Boulder.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a Felafel Vegetarian Plate which came with six felafels and two Mediterranean sides, we chose baba ganoush and hummus. We split this as well as a schawarma sandwich on pita bread. They were nice and gave us a couple of free glasses of water, much needed by me after a night of sampling the town's great beers. It was not the very best middle eastern food we've ever had but we've had some very good stuff. It was certainly good and to be honest, it is rare to find truly bad food of this type. It's tasty and fairly healthy to boot.

We paid $17 for the two meals,

• shohman's Profile Photo

Tom's Tavern: mmm, that is one tasty burger!

by shohman Written Nov 16, 2006

Everytime I go somewhere new, I have to try the local burger. So when I asked a local where I could get one, he pointed across the street and said, "you won't find a better burger anywhere" he was right! This place was great, like everywhere else in Boulder, you have a view of the mountains, and the service and food here were top notch. I talked with several of the locals here about everything from dogs to Boston

Favorite Dish: I got a burger and a guinness. All the beef is steroid free, corn fed cattle and you can really taste the difference!

The Sink: My kind of place

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

The Sink has been around since 1923 and is located a short walk from the CU campus. I had the most enjoyable time here when I sat at the small bar and ordered a burger. I was quickly informed it was happy hour, or STD (Sink's two dollar) They have $2 appetizers, but also $2 drafts. Not cheap, watered down drafts, but any draft from their wide selection. I was so happy when I saw my second favorite beer in the world on draft (Samuel Adam's Octoberfest) and at $2 I couldn't resist.
    But the real joy came from the friendly conversation I had there. To my left was a man about 15 years older than me waiting to meet his daughter, a student at CU. To my right was a student at CU, about 15 years younger than me. We all had a great conversation about beers of the World, Colorado, Chemistry, Florida, cheeseburgers, skiiing, women, and fitness.
    what a perfect way to eat a burger :)

Favorite Dish: I had Herbie's special, a burger, fries and a side salad with a red pepper dressing. It was very good

• shohman's Profile Photo

Dot's Diner on the hill: Old school diner with a twist

by shohman Written Nov 17, 2006

I was told to go to Dot's by a local. Located on the Hill, Dot's is a tiny, dive of a diner. Or is it? I sat at the tiny counter next to two ripe homeless men, one in an intense debate with himself. The grill and chef were about two feet from the counter. Even though this place looked like an old time greasy spoon, it had a pretty creative menu. Omelets with feta and artichoke, ranchos huevros, and typiclal bacon and egg dishes.

Favorite Dish: I chose the mexican breakfast burrito stuffed with eggs, cheese, potato and then covered in green chili sauce. On a cold morning, this really hit the spot.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Conor O'Neills: Good Irish home away from home

by DSwede Written Mar 30, 2006

Good Irish decor, good beer lists, as well as great Irish food (& burgers too). From corned beef to boxty's to shepards pie... its all good!

They even have live Irish music on most nights. Sometimes a 4 piece band, sometimes a 9-piece ensemble. Always lively!

Favorite Dish: Chicken or salmon boxty

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

The Tea Spot: Tea, Coffee and a bit of Hot Chocolate ....

by kymbanm Written Jan 30, 2006

Making our tea ....

While wandering back to our car on this cold winter day, we happened past this unassuming tea house. Like most trendy locales ... free wifi is included with your tea. The staff were quite friendly and even gave us directions to our next destination in legible handwriting ;)

Favorite Dish: We didn't sample the baked goods as they looked quite calorie filled ... instead I had a different high calorie treat .... the second best hot chocolate I've ever had! Made w/ dark chocolate, and the bestest whipped cream .... aaaaahhhhhhhh .... just the thing to warm me up so that I could make it the rest of the way back to the car. Momma Misha ordered the Earl Gray ...... and was impressed with the flavor - it had a hint of sweetness without any cream or sugar. I was impressed with the timer used during the steeping process ... they were not about to let that cup of tea out from behind the counter until it was PERFECT!

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Dushanbe Tea House: So much more than just tea ......

by kymbanm Written Jan 30, 2006

The exterior ... in winter ....

As one of the few sister-city programs that has a visible effect outside of local government, the Dushanbe Teahouse was born in 1987. The Teahouse's decor was a gift from one city to another. In exchange, the city of Duchanbe received a Cyber Cafe ...... a great trade, don't you think?

The building is a work of art (see my travelogue for more pics if you wish) with native craftmen and women contributing not only the tiles, and plaster reliefs ... but some of whom came to Boulder to install and complete the installation of these tradtional artforms in their new home on the other side of the world.

I've now come to this wonderful little place 3 times ... and have never been disappointed :) The food is eclectic and flavorful. The largest menu in the building is just for .... tea!! Page after page of teas to purchase in bulk, by the cup, or by the pot. When they bring the pot to your table, they also bring a timer to guide you in when to remove your leaves from the pot to prevent bitterness. Yummmmm.

I didn't realize until this last time that the menu does change frequently enough to prevent food boredom ... and that on weekends the menu is abbreviated to an all day breakfast/brunch menu. Though surprised ...... again ... I was NOT disappointed!

Favorite Dish: On our last visit we had the mediterranean pizza, the fish tacos, and the mediterranean chicken salad from the brunch menu .... we all shared and munched off of each other's plates ..... and were pleased with all the flavors at our table. We had the silver tip tea ... one of the best to be had anywhere IMHO ... which was soo delicious I had to buy some in bulk to take home! And what day of decadence is complete until you share a desert? We enjoyed our Chocolate Bread Pudding sooo much that we had to spin the plate around for the picture as we'd already dug in while moaning and groaning with happiness .... and a feeling of fullness.

• julieuzi's Profile Photo

Lucile's: You Must Have the Beignets!

by julieuzi Written Jan 28, 2004

This is probably my favorite restaurant in Boulder. I'll use any excuse to go there.

You can order breakfast any time between 7am and 2pm or ask for a lunch menu but ALWAYS get an order of the beignets.

This place is New Orleans style food with excellent grits, red beans, homemade marmalade & jams, and handsqueezed juice. The restaurant is set in an old house and in warm weather they'll open the front porch for you to enjoy your meal in the fresh air.

Don't be afraid to ask for a half order. The portions are large but can easily be cut in half.

Favorite Dish: Beignets with orange marmalade or jam. (I've never liked marmalade until having Lucile's.)

• whirledpeas0621's Profile Photo

Dushanbe Tea House: Breath-Taking

by whirledpeas0621 Written Jan 19, 2007

This tea house is the only one of its kind in the entire Western Hemisphere. It was shipped over in pieces from Tajikistan. Everything is intricately hand painted and carved, and it's worth going to if only for its beauty! However, the food is *incredible* too. They have a large selection of vegetarian options, although they cater to meat-eaters as well. There are a lot of teas to choose from, but the waiters are extremely knowledgeable and will give you a hand choosing. It's fine to go for tea and dessert, but they also serve breakfast, brunch and dinner. Patrons also visit for the coffee bar.

Favorite Dish: I've only eaten a meal there once, and I had the fritata. It was excellent. The best dessert option they offer is the chai flan, and I recommend it with the vanilla nut rooibus tea.

Instant Answers: Boulder

Comments

Boulder Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Boulder restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boulder sightseeing.