Buena Vista Travel Guide

by leafmcgowan

Buena Vista Things to Do

• Yorick12's Profile Photo

by Yorick12 Written Jul 8, 2010

I love visiting ghost towns and have been to dozens in Colorado, but Saint Elmo is the best! Even though it's been nearly deserted since the 1930s, it looks pretty much just as it did in the 1880s and 90s. It's one of the best preserved ghost towns in the state, with dozens of buildings standing. Most are empty, but there is a bed and breakfast and a shop open and few summer cabins. The scenery is as big a draw as the town itself and can't be beat! It's beautiful. The fall is the best time to visit when the aspens are changing. If you're feeling outdoorsy, there are campgrounds just up the road (CR 162).

• Camping

• by caloraw Written Oct 11, 2005

We did a three day tour around Buena Vista and Salida the first week of October, and hit the Aspens perfectly (I think).

We stayed in Buena Vista, our first day, we drove down to Salida, went up Marshall Pass, over to Sargents, and then back over Monarch Pass and home to BV. A great drive, suitable for any car. Super fall colors, and great photos of Mt Ouray.

Our second day, we drove to Salida, had lunch at the West End, and new restaurant (for us at least) and then went up Ute Trail to Aspen Ridge. About 20 miles of solid Aspen immersion. the colors were great, sometimes the Aspen completely cover the road in a big arch. This is a little rougher drive, and not good for a low clearance car, but any kind of truck of high car would be fine. Aspen Ridge ends at Trout Creek pass, and then back to BV.

Our final day, we drove to St Elmo, and semi restored ghost mining town. No tourists and lots of old buildings and authentic looking props. The Aspen were great again, seemed like perfect timing for the drives.

• Buena Vista Hotels

3 Hotels in Buena Vista

Buena Vista Hotels

Buena Vista Restaurants

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

by caffeine_induced78 Written Mar 27, 2003

Is it funny to place different and often conflicting street signs onto the side of your building? I'm still trying to figure that out. It was slightly amusing when I sat in the parking lot thinking "What the hell should I do?" I'm looking at one sign telling me to go 20 mph and another telling me to stop. Someday a drunk bastard is going to mistake the restaurant for a road and plow through the walls.
    Watch the newspapers.
    It's fairly laid back here and the food is some of that homestyle cooking. It's good food with all of the major food groups just like Mom would have planned.

Favorite Dish: I had to have the Chicken fried steak of course. It called me from the menu.
    No beer.

what to do?

Buena Vista Nightlife

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

by caffeine_induced78 Written Mar 27, 2003

This is a bar - plain and simple. The place does not try to take on any kind of character except for what it was intended to be when it was founded in 1885. When you go to a bar like this you get that "Cheers" kind of feeling. People have been drinking here for over a 100 years and probably will for another 100 years. Beer mugs - you don't see that very often anymore. That and they kept them chilled.
    "Can I get a menu please." I said
    "Honey - we don't serve food here until May," replied the barkeep.
    This doesn't set up a good scenario for me. I'm starving, I have my beer, and I'm drinking at an altitude of 8000 feet on an empty stomach. That's when I needed fresh air.

Dress Code: Not much of one. This place was full of working class people who would have fit in just as well in the 60's.

if time stands still here - why the empty beer?
    • Beer Tasting

• kel_e's Profile Photo

by kel_e Written Oct 5, 2002

There are a lot of cute bars in Buena Vista. One night we stopped at a place where a local artist drew us some nice pencil sketches right there at the bar. We had them framed and they are beautiful!
    Pretty much anywhere you go is going to have nice people and a great atmosphere.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Buena Vista? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Buena Vista Warnings and Dangers

• coloradochris's Profile Photo

by coloradochris Written Sep 12, 2005

Rember that were you are driving on the mountians passes and if they are snowy, that ever though you may have the biggest baddest highest big lifted 4 wheel dirve vechile that you still have no better control of stopping that anyone else. Drive slow and controled because if you get off the trail in that area of the world its a long way to help.

Have fun just be smart

Buena Vista What to Pack

• coloradochris's Profile Photo

by coloradochris Written Sep 12, 2005

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: When you are hiking in the mountians you need to pack lite. If you are a flat lader ok not from CO or UT then when you are packing lite you will increase the speed and distance that you can travel due to the lack of oxygen in the high allitudes.

Bring:
    First Aid Kit
    Flash Light
    Mirror ( to siginal if in danger to a plane)
    Watch (Make sure you are off the side of the mountian before dark)
    Compass (check at the beging to see which way you are going so if you get lost you can just turn around)
    Poncho ( tunderstorms are unprediciple)
    Energy Bar or some sort of high energy or suger food
    Lite Wind Breaker

Miscellaneous: email me if you have any questions or concerns

Buena Vista Off The Beaten Path

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

by leafmcgowan Written Aug 30, 2006

A developed Hot Springs just 5 1/2 miles west of colorful Buena Vista. A small rustic countryside inn nestled in the desert cliff mountainsides overlooks a series of concrete enhanced pools for hot springs users to relax in. 4 tent camping plots, private cabins with their own hot spring pools, a hostel type dorm room, and hotel rooms give visitors a place to settle. The pools are open till midnight, and 24 hr access for those staying on the property. After dark, the pools are clothing optional, while daytime suits are required as kids are present in the pools. Bordered by Cottonwood Creek and the San Isabel National Forest, scenic beauty surrounds the resort. The pools are fed by geo-thermal, gravity-fed mineral spas historically noted for their medicinal and therapeutic qualities which were used for centuries by the Ute indians as a spiritual gathering retrieat. They offer lots of retreats and activities.
    Rating 3.0 stars out of 5. Visited: 8/26/06.

Cottonwood Hot Springs The main office
    • Spa and Resort

Buena Vista Favorites

• kel_e's Profile Photo

by kel_e Written Oct 5, 2002

Favorite thing: Go whitewater rafting!! The guides and the Arkansas river are wonderful! I had the time of my life.

Fondest memory: We went to CO with 3 other families. At night, the parents would all go out to the bars and us 'children' would do whatever. One night, we took the van to the drive-in movie theater to see Braveheart and Snow White (double feature). I don't think I really watched much of the movie just because I was unable to take my eyes off the sky! As we watched the movie, you could see the silouette of the mountains in the background- Beautiful! And there was also a meteor shower and the stars were Green, Blue, Orange, Yellow, etc. It was sooooo pretty!

Instant Answers: Buena Vista

Comments

Map of Buena Vista