Cortez Restaurants

Support Our Troops
    Inside

Best Rated Restaurants in Cortez

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

Tequila's Family Mexican Restaurant: Nationwide Recommendations?

by KiKitC Written Sep 6, 2007

From the street, it didn't seem like anything more than a restaurant that may serve Mexican food, but once you walk through the door, the fiesta for the eyes begins!

We received a recommendation from a family from San Antonio, Texas, who hadn't tried it yet. It had been recommended to them. That...and Mexican food in the Southwest was enough to convince me to try it...and I haven't stopped raving about it!

Every possible corner of the decor was decorated...and the smell of fajitas filled the air.

I was in the mood for a drink...but wasn't sure what I wanted. The waiter got a funny smile on his face and said he had just the thing. Gordie could see him mixing at the bar, and he was grabbing bottle after bottle. It was delicious! I asked what it was called...the answer was surprising..."I haven't named it yet..." The waiter had created this drink...but it wasn't on the menu. I told him to call it the "Sunburned Tourist" describing me after a day at Mesa Verde...

So, if you go there, and it's on the menu...say you know that tourist...and I sent you there!

Favorite Dish: Gordie ordered this mammoth seafood burrito...with scallops, shrimp and more...delicious.

I ordered blackened chicken with a chipotle sauce that will knock your socks off! It was the tastiest chipotle creation I've ever eaten. And the tortillas were very fresh...in fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't made that day...

I HIGHLY recommend it.

• National/State Park

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Nero's: Great Italian Food

by Basaic Written Jun 29, 2010

Nero's

The crappy motel I stayed at has a restaurant associated with it. Talk about night and day. Obviously all the money and effort go into the restaurant. Nero's has a fairly varied menu of Italian dishes (but no Veal Parmesan). Decor is okay. The weight staff was efficient and professional. Be advised though it is NOT cheap!

Favorite Dish: Try the excellent Shrimp Scampi.

• National/State Park

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Sonic Drive In: Quick Food in your car

by ATXtraveler Written May 3, 2009

During our trip to Cortez, we had a little mix up on the side trip to Hovenweep National Monument, so we were running late for Anna's bedtime. Rather than force the baby to stay up while we eat, we decided to just make a stop at Sonic. What made this restaurant interesting, was that the burgers had the option to have green chile added to them. I was excited, because I had been enjoying green chile everywhere so far, and it was delicious. Sonic however found a way to foul it up.

Instead of grilling the chiles and adding it to the burger, they just put cold chiles in a styrofoam cup and put it next to the burger. By the time we checked into the bed and breakfast and ate the burger, it was extremely cold to... so needless to say this was not my best experience. Overall, I normally love Sonic, but today was just subpar. I would recommend finding a different restaurant when traveling to Cortez.

• Lotsa Pasta/Itsa Pizza: Locals' Italian hangout

by Orca5959 Written Jul 6, 2008

I had an angel hair fetticine w/shrimp. The white sauce was pretty so-so. I've definitely had better. My husband had lasagna which he often orders at Italian places. He said it was so-so also.

It was clearly a locals' hangout. Our waitress spent a fair bit of time chatting things up with various other guests and I'm not sure she really stayed in touch with the chef. Our food took a really long time to come - probably at least 35 minutes. A long time after being on the road all day with two kids!

They describe a beautiful outdoor deck. What they don't say is that it overlooks what is basically a junkyard with old tires, roofing, cars, etc!

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Jack and Janelle's Country Kitchen: Great Home Cooking and Nice People

by Basaic Written Sep 19, 2013
    Jack and Janelle's

$10 as of July 2013 . I was not feeling that well when I checked in to the Super 8 in Cortez so I looked for a place really close to eat. In the information in my room they showed Jack and Janelle's Country Restaurant about three blocks away and a barbecue place a block closer. I opted for the country place. The first thing I noticed was an average looking exterior with a small seating area. Inside I noticed a large area with an American flag, photos of a few guys in uniform and a sign that said "If You Like Your Freedom, Thank a Vet". My waitress was a nice, friendly lady who was the mother of two of the guys in uniform on the wall. The menu had sandwiches, burgers and "home-style" favorites like fried chicken, pork chops and meatloaf along with various types of steak, shrimp and other items. My entrée came with soup (a very good Green Chili soup and an even better Turkey and Pasta), mashed potatoes and squash. Hours are 6:30 AM to 9 PM daily with a Sunday Brunch from 8 AM to 2 PM. They have daily specials like Navajo Tacos on Tuesdays. Definitely worth a try.

Instant Answers: Cortez

Comments

Cortez Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cortez restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cortez sightseeing.