Estes Park Restaurants

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Wild Rose Food and Spirits: Wild Rose Food and Spirits

by Jehcekah Written Oct 21, 2004

Wild Rose, Estes Park

We came into Estes Park in order to find a nice restaurant for dinner. We were hoping for somewhere a little nicer than a bar and grill, but since selection is limited in the town, we chose Wild Rose Food and Spirits. There was a nice specials menu displayed outside of the restaurant and since it was Friday, they were having a fish fry. We went inside and asked if we could be seated at one of the outside tables. Our waitress brought our menus and took our order within minutes. I ordered the fish fry and my husband ordered a sirloin with mushroom gravy sauce. The people sitting behind us also ordered off of the specials menu and they were told to help themselves to the salad bar. After taking our order, the waitress disappeared without bringing us drinks or anything else. My husband had to go back inside to find out if he was supposed to also get the salad bar. While he was inside asking, another waiter brought us our food. I told him that we had not gotten our drinks yet and that my husband was not told that he should get salad. The waiter semi-apologized and told me that the waitress was fairly new. My husband finally came back out with his soup and salad to see that our food had been at the table for a while and was getting cold. The waitress finally brought us our drinks and also apologized for the mix-up. No one ever offered to heat up our food or compensate for their error in any way.

The waitress never us our bill because she had again disappeared. We had to go inside the restaurant to hunt her down and get our bill in order to pay it. While deciding how small of a tip to leave, we discovered that she had charged us for the salad bar which a) should have been included with the special and b) she never told us about. My husband complained and she had to redo the whole bill, which took her another 20 minutes. Finally she got it right, we paid and started to leave when we saw the manager (the waiter from before). He said, "She's new. You know, that happens sometimes."

Favorite Dish: The food was below average and the portions were small. My piece of fish was over cooked and the breading was burnt. I also got fries with the meal, which were cold by the time I got to eat them. My husband's steak was a bad cut of meat smothered in bland sauce. We were not impressed.

Not only did we have to struggle through the entire dining process, but we never got a fair apology from anyone.

I would not recommend this restaurant.

• Jewelslover's Profile Photo

Dunraven Inn: Local Style Italian Food

by Jewelslover Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dunraven Inn

This place has a local feel (the staff seemed to know alot of the patrons) and great Italian food. It's a must if you like Italian. This restaurant has been around for a long time and has quite a good reputation. I would definately make a reservation before you go.

Make sure you leave your mark at the restaurant (you'll understand when you get there)

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken parmesan. It was a large serving in a bowl that was bubbling over with cheese and sauce. A+++ The hubby had lasagna. It was very good as well.

Mountain Home Cafe: Where the Locals Eat Breakfast

by Shaken_Bake Written Oct 11, 2005

This restaurant is known as where the locals go for breakfast and lunch. It's in the strip mall next to Safeway, so it doesn't have the benefit of a central location of many other popular establishments, although plenty of free parking is a draw! The decor is mom-and-pop diner; crafts and photographs on the wall and unremarkable tables and booths in a brightly lit space. They also have a small outdoor patio for warm weather dining. They serve breakfast and lunch all day until 2:30 pm (no dinner service).

We arrived around 10 am on a Columbus Day Monday and were surprised at the crowd; the hostess explained that because they never usually have such traffic on a weekday, they only had one waitress for all the tables. We weren't in a hurry and agreed to be patient with the service. The waitress was friendly and apologetic and the wait to get our orders was not unduly long.

The Mountain Home Cafe menu has an extensive menu with standard breakfast and lunch fare. Fruity pancakes are popular, as well as their famous Baked Alaska Oatmeal. Unfortunately, my meal selection wasn't as tasty as I expected! I ordered a Veggie Scramble (no further description), which seemed harmless enough. Yuck! I expected the vegetables to be onions, peppers and tomatoes, what one would normally find in an omelet. What I got was formerly frozen carrots, peas and zucchini tossed into scrambled eggs! I was able to separate the vegetables from the egg and have enough to eat, but given the service situation, I didn't want to complain. My bad for not confirming what was in the dish! My husband had pancakes and sausage and enjoyed every bite!

The prices seem to be on par with other tourist breakfast spots; our bill totalled $17.00 including coffee, tea and juice. The portions were generous and came with sides like hashbrowns and toast, so it's not a bad value. Although I didn't have good luck with my order, I would try them again and make sure I asked about what goes into the dish if I'm not sure!

Favorite Dish: Anything else but the Veggie Scramble!

• Adventure Travel
    • Seniors

Twin Owls Steak House: Casual Elegance and Great Food

by Shaken_Bake Written Jul 8, 2005

An excellent dining choice for a special dinner, even a wedding reception, would be the Twin Owls Steakhouse. It is a popular restaurant in Estes Park , and is part of the Black Canyon Inn not far from the center of town on MacGregor Avenue.

I love the location and the decor, including a roaring fireplace in the winter. The atmosphere is elegant and subdued without being pretentious.

The menu at Twin Owls is a wonderful selection of beef dishes, as well as game, chicken and pasta. I would describe their food preparation in the range from classic to continental, even nouveau cuisine for some dishes. I enjoyed their dishes with unexpected contrasting flavors which worked marvelously! Their wine list is extensive and perfectly complements the meals. Our server was very knowledgeable about wine as well.

The prices are above average, but so is the dining experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Twin Owls for any special occasion meal in Estes Park.

Favorite Dish: I am very fond of elk, and their presentation did not disappoint! The small elk loin chops were walnut crusted, topped with a berry harvest pesto. The sweetness of the fruit was a perfect compliment to the hearty flavor of the meat – outstanding! Add a nice Cabernet, and I am in food heaven!

Sweet Basilico Cafe: Best Italian in Town

by WanderingAimlessly Updated Sep 23, 2005

The food is outstanding! The restaurant is very small, so reservations are recommend, even during off-peak season. We went early and got a lucky break and a table. There is no ambience but the service and food make up for it.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu looks delicious. I had the chicken fettucine alfredo. The best garlic and cheese sauce in the world. Best dining experience we had in all of Estes Park.

The Notchtop Bakery and Cafe: Excellent Breakfast

by WanderingAimlessly Updated Sep 23, 2005

This wonderful restaurant can be easily missed if you don't look for it. This is a restaurant, bakery & coffee shop. They serve breakfast, lunch & dinner every day. They have the best coffee in town. My husband could have sat there and drank it all day long. They serve great breakfasts - both menu options and specials. The price was extremely reasonable, considering the size of the meal you got. Lots of locals go there. Most tourist were down the road at the Egg and I. They also have free wireless internet.

Favorite Dish: Their French Toast and Pancakes were excellent.

• Jewelslover's Profile Photo

Hunter's Chop House: Good Place for a Steak!

by Jewelslover Written Jun 11, 2005

Hunters Chop House

My husband and I ate here twice while we were in Estes Park, partially because location, but really because it was quite good. They have steaks, salads, seafood, and pasta dishes. We were pleased both times we went. The food was good and the atmosphere was causal.

Favorite Dish: Check out the website for menu...

• The Grubsteak: Awesome buffalo burgers!

by sfeekes Written Jul 6, 2007

We ran across this place while we were walking around downtown. It was just right there when we got hungry. I didn't get a good look at the interior because we set outside on the patio. It's well covered so there's plenty of shade and there was a nice breeze. It was very nice for lunch. We all tried the buffalo burgers and they were delicious. We meant to get back there for dinner but we didn't quite make it.

• wsucr1's Profile Photo

Deleo's Park Theater Cafe & Deli: Great place for breakfast/Luinch

by wsucr1 Written Sep 10, 2006

Owner Tom Deleo and his sister behind the counter

Located in the Theater shopping area in downtown Estes Park. As soon as we walked through the door, the owner made us feel very welcome. The food is great: we followed the owner's (Tom Deleo) advise and had a great lunch. Tom is very friendly, outgoing, anxious to make the guests feel like a part of this family owned/operated deli. This deli also appears to be a favourite among locals.

Favorite Dish: Chicken salad sandwich.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Longtz Mountain Grill: Lobster Cheesecake Anyone?

by johngayton Updated Feb 25, 2010

Bar Food

The Longtz Mountain Grill is the restaurant at The Holiday Inn with food served either in the restaurant or bar.. The menu manages to be comprehensive without being overlong; ranging from classics such as Caesar Salad and pork ribs, through an interesting selection of grillled sandwiches and burgers and culminating in a small grill menu featuring hand-cut steaks.

The restaurant itself is fairly informal, more of a blond-wood diner than a hotel restaurant, and though it wasn't particularly busy on the evening we were there it had a pleasant laid-back atmosphere, assisted by the reasonably good guitar duo playing a selection of easy-listening classics.

Favorite Dish: Being more peckish than hungry we opted for a couple of appetizers at the bar. The crab cakes, with a smoked tomato relish and avocado aioli, were OK but not up to the standards of The Keystone Inn's which had sort of set the benchmark

In my case I couldn't resist trying the aforementioned lobster cheesecake, purely out of curiousity.

This was really delicious, chunky freshwater lobster baked in a not overpowering savoury cheesecake topped with a red pepper coulis, a lot more subtle and light than perhaps I had expected, but none the worse for that.

For two reasonably portioned appetizers, washed down with several beers (Fat Tire on draught) the less than $30 bill was excellent value for money.

• Beer Tasting

Penelope's Old Fashion Hamburgers: Best Hamburger and Fries in Town

by WanderingAimlessly Updated Apr 4, 2011

Penelope's Old Fashion Hamburgers

This is not a fancy place to have lunch or dinner at, but it had a small town burger joint atmosphere that was refreshing. They had a good menu but the hamburgers and fries are their best items. They were inexpensive and the meal hit the spot.

Favorite Dish: A handmade hamburger and fresh cut fries, who could ask for more. They grill the onions with the hamburgers.

• Shaken_Bake's Profile Photo

Estes Park Brewery: Home of Staggering Elk Lager!

by Shaken_Bake Written Apr 30, 2006

Estes Park Brewery

I’m married to a beer-loving Canadian who was delighted to find that there is a brewpub in wilds of the Rocky Mountains. Whenever we visit Estes Park, the Estes Park Brewery is always our first stop in town!

The brewery is in a large white building that is hard to miss driving up Moraine Avenue, just past the go-cart park. The restaurant and bar are upstairs in a large, open room. Along one side of the room are windows that overlook the brewery room below, with huge metal tanks to hold the different beers. The menu is composed of basic bar food, such as burgers, pizza, and appetizers. It has a good menu for lunch or dinner, the food is reasonably priced, and families are welcome.

In addition to seasonal specials, there are six beers normally offered by Estes Park Brewery, with names to match the location, such as Trail Ridge Red; Long’s Peak Raspberry Red; and my favorite, Staggering Elk Lager! The downstairs area contains the gift shop and a tasting counter where visitors can sample the various brews. I also enjoy the flavor of Stinger Wild Honey Wheat, which has a higher alcohol content due to the yeast fermenting the honey… yum (hic!) The beer is sold by the bottle, so you can mix-and-match a six-pack or case. We always get a supply for our stay to enhance our Rocky Mountain sunsets from the comfort of our deck (but remember, the elk get mad if you drink and drive, since the elk DO own the road up here!).

Favorite Dish: They have an excellent garden burger, which I love. The wings and nachos are also pretty decent.

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• Rich62's Profile Photo

The Egg and I: a wide variety of sandwiches and breakfast items

by Rich62 Updated Aug 20, 2011

THE EGG AND I

We eat whenever possible at these restaurants, located in Fort Collins, Loveland, and Estes Park (also in Kearney, Nebraska). the only downside is that, due to their popularity, there is often a waiting line to be seated. We try to go early for lunch (11:30 or so) and that helps.

Most Egg and I's are open only for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner.

Favorite Dish: I love the Albacore Tuna sandwich, my wife likes the eggs benedict. Both are pictured below if you click the photo of the restaurant.

• Business Travel

• Smokin Dave's BBQ and Taphouse: The Best BBQ in Colorado

by debshebert Written Oct 14, 2009

WOW!!!!!!! I thought we Southerners knew how to cook barbecue and fixins but they've got someone knowledgeable in this kitchen here too. Incredibly generous portions, friendly service and the only place in Estes Park that serves sweet iced tea (that I've found so far). I tried both the pulled pork sandwich and even returned later in the week and had ribs. Don't miss the sweet potato fries...to die for.

Favorite Dish: BBQ ribs

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Mama Rose's: Italian on the River Walk

by Tom_Fields Written Sep 28, 2008

Mama Rose's

Here is a fine Italian restaurant, conveniently located right on the River Walk. Owned by Julie and Rob Pieper, who have some other restaurants in town.

Favorite Dish: The lasagne was excellent. They also have a good wine selection.

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Estes Park

Comments

Estes Park Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Estes Park restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Estes Park sightseeing.