Related Colorado Favorites Tips

THE TOP OF MT. WERNER
    by RACCOON1
    Vern, Floyd, Kenzie, Nova, and Tessa.
    by razorbacker
    Nova and Kenzie with the elders.
    by razorbacker

Most Viewed Favorites in Colorado

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

What to do in Denver

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: In Denver visit the Colorado History Museum, the Denver Art Museum, the Denver Botanic Gardens, the Denver Museum of Natural History (pictured here is the museum's Luprino Family Atrium,) the Denver Zoo, the StateCapitol and the US Mint.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

the joy of doing what you are not supposed to

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 24, 2009

Favorite thing: Colorado is the land of the Rockies and outdoor activity. Enjoy it to its fullest.

Fondest memory: The rangers at the various National Parks have very different personalities. My favorites were the ones at Rocky Mountain National Park. They knew about the trails. Not from reading, but from actually walking them. We had our sights set on Flattop Mountain and possibly another valley hike nearby, but a ranger explained you could combine the two into a long loop hike. He said that the traverse between the two trails wouldn't be marked, but that the route would be obvious as long as the weather was clear. The only catch would be we would have to cross the Andrews Glacier on the route. There would be signs warning of the danger of hidden crevasses, but at that time of year we would be fine as long as we stayed off to the side and got off onto the scree at the first safe moment, and way before we got to the frigid glacial lake at the bottom. Hell, we were game we thought.

The trail up was grueling. We were roasting from the glaring sun and physical effort, but once on top we were greeted with astounding views and a 30 degree windchill factor. After changing clothes we headed for the obvious part of the ridge he'd told us about and prayed for the weather to hold out, and happy that the wind was at our back. The glacier was a welcome sight as we figured now we had found our way and wouldn't have to return via the same route. Now, we just had to make it down in one piece and all would be apple pie.

We started down precariously but soon found ourselves skiing down on our boots and later on our butts. It was a blast! We got to a point where the scree looked manageable and made our way down to the lake. God, it was such a relief to be down there. It was perhaps a crazy thing to do, but it had been such fun. Now that it was done, it would just be an unbelievable memory. When the adrenaline wore off a bit, we realized what a beautiful place we had come upon and enjoyed some solitude before making our way down the lush valley before us.

• National/State Park

Varied scenery

by goingsolo Written Mar 18, 2003

Favorite thing: Co's landscape is geographically varied, containing towering peaks, old lava flows, deep canyons, expansive valleys, rich gold and silver veins, ancient crystal formations, sedimentary layers, glacial scars, limestone caves, landslide chutes, fossils, petrified trees, tumbling rivers, high plains and even sand dunes.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Adventure Travel

Continental Divide at Hoosier Pass

by Astrobuck Updated Feb 28, 2006

Favorite thing: Yes, here is another one of my geographical locations. The Continental Divide is the area where the continent of North America is divided in 2 parts. When rain and snow falls on this area, what falls to the west of the sign eventually empties into the Pacific Ocean; while what falls east of the sign eventually empties into the Atlantic Ocean.

• Adventure Travel
    • National/State Park

Colorado-The Centennial State

by Astrobuck Updated Mar 28, 2006

Favorite thing: Colorado is nicknamed the Centennial State because Colorado entered the union 100 years after the Declaration of Independence was signed. President U.S. Grant declared Colorado a state on August 1, 1876.

For more information about Colorado, visit:

• Study Abroad

Colorado State Flag

by Astrobuck Written Apr 25, 2006

Fondest memory: The official state flag of Colorado was adopted on June 5, 1911. It was designed by Andrew Carlisle Johnson in 1911. The white in the flag symbolizes Colorado's snowcapped mountains, the blue symbolizes clear blue skies, the red symbolizes the reddish soil, and the golden yellow represents the Sun.

• Study Abroad

• merimichelle's Profile Photo

Just enjoying an afternoon hike

by merimichelle Written Mar 7, 2003

Favorite thing: the single most important site to see is Colorados backcountry it is beautiful!!!!! I cannot get enough of it and it is so much fun discovering new sites among the Colorado Rockies! :)

Fondest memory: My best memory of Colorado is the first time I crossed country skiied in the middle of Rockies I lost the group I was with and came across this incredible valley and it started to snow. It was very overwhelming and extremely quiet. Instead of being scared I was completly content and in awe of the beauty I was seeing. I am so very lucky to live in a paradise. :) I only wish I had a camera that would have captured the moment!

• speedy77's Profile Photo

Skiing

by speedy77 Updated Mar 30, 2004

Fondest memory: Skiing on Aspen Highlands Mtn. - especially down the Highlands bowl - is an exciting thing to do.... Everyone should try it.

This is a picture, taken from Buttermilk Mtn. In the background you can see Highlands Mtn...

• SURFIN7TH's Profile Photo

Go to the mountains of course....

by SURFIN7TH Updated Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to the mountains of course. My friends advised me to go to the mountains that were a little less commercialised to get the 'real' Colorado experience.

Fondest memory: The people in Colorado are world class! They compliment the mountains completely.

• Gloriann's Profile Photo

Mesa Verde National Park, also...

by Gloriann Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Mesa Verde National Park, also don't miss seeing the towns of Silverton and Ouray, if you don't mind the hairpin curves around the mountains to get there. This was some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life, but also the scariest.
    The Mother Cabrini shrine in Golden, Colorado was an interesting stop.
    I recommend the Grey Line bus tour in Denver.

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo

Diversity of Colorado seasons

by TropicGirl77 Written Aug 26, 2006

Favorite thing: The greatest thing I like about Colorado, is the genuine surprise of seasons! Winters can be blistery cold and lots of snow (depending on where in the state you are) or a light sweater day during this time of year! Go figure! There are four distinguishable seasons in here, each awesome as only mother nature (or God) can provide! Each season is vibrant, and even an ignorant person cannot help but gasp in awe at such beauty.

Fondest memory: One particular memory that stands above all, is one year, in the middle of July we headed off for the zoo, and were wearing long coats and dressed for winter!!! It was that cold ... we thought we had warped into the North Pole. The single most exhilarating experience for me in Colorado, is when autumn rushes in, and endless hillsides shimmer with the golden glitter of aspen foliage!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Where's the Bathplug?

by johngayton Written Mar 1, 2006

Favorite thing: So here I am, in my Holiday Inn suite, looking at a very small bath tub. I can see the plug-hole, but can I find the plug?

Ach, well, worked out the shower, am now as clean as I'll ever be, then check out the other bathroom - still no plug :p

Then, genius as I am, I find a little lever at top of bath, and do you know what it does? (Well, if you are a yank, then you will! LOL) It acts as plug under the drainholes! Damn crafty this US plumbing!

Fondest memory: Memories are building even as we speak, for it is a foreign land to me, as strange as ancient Alexandria, even as strange as Hartlepool, and aye, there'll be more to come!

• Beer Tasting

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Read this book before going

by goingsolo Written May 16, 2004

Favorite thing: And definitely take it with you. John Fielder is a well known photographer who was also written many books about hiking in Colorado. His book, Best of Colorado, is an excellent reference to every city and town. It includes tips on scenic drives, hotels, restaurants and sports. Plus, the pictures are excellent.

Fondest memory: I took this book with me when traveling through Colorado. Its a great reference source for places to go written by a local with extensive knowledge on the area.

Random Colorado facts

by goingsolo Updated Jul 21, 2004

Favorite thing: The grizzly is believed to be extinct in Colorado.

State bird: the lark bunting.

Official gemstone:aquamarine, named, perhaps ironically for the color of the ocean.

Unofficial motto: It's different out here, man (as was told to me by Colorado residents living in Denver.)

• tompt's Profile Photo

visit the Rocky Mountains...

by tompt Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: visit the Rocky Mountains National Park.
    More info: National Park Service

3 Reviews - 8 Photos
Canon City Hotels
48 Reviews - 91 Photos

Instant Answers: Colorado

Comments

Colorado Favorites

Reviews and photos of Colorado favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Colorado sightseeing.
Map of Colorado