Grand Junction Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Grand Junction

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

The Crystal Cafe & Bake Shop: Who puts hot sauce on eggs?

by caffeine_induced78 Written Dec 20, 2003

small town America

Who puts hot sauce on eggs? I do and they were ready for me. This a small, attractive cafe serving wonderful breakfasts and lunch in what I could tell was a hangout for the locals. It's nice when you go out into a small town and experience the warmth that is lacking from a large city. As I was getting up from my seat an older lady who was sitting at the table next to mine stopped me and asked how I was. That's something you don't find in the large city very often.

Favorite Dish: I had the one egg breakfast with bacon, toast, and hashbrowns. If they don't provide it - be sure to ask for the homemade jam.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Rockslide Brew Pub: Most Popular Brew Restaurant in Town

by atufft Written Aug 5, 2008

Rockslide Brew Pub, Grand Junction, CO

Rockslide is at 401 Main, right in the middle of downtown and is clearly the liveliest restaurant in this part of town. The place brews its own fresh beer, and I compelled, due to my bicycle riding, to consume a pale ale called Rabbit Ear. The list of beers is extensive from dark to light. But, while beer is a focus, the restaurant caters to the entire family. The menu is equally extensive. I had a dish called pasta Milano, which included a sophisticated combination of pasta, herbs, chicken, and dried tomatoes. So, this isn't just a fish and chips sort of pub--the food is good and healthy. It's a popular place for mountaineering folks to drop by before or after their experience at Arches National Park, Mesa Verde, or other such places in the region.

• Beer Tasting

• Dolce Vita: Great Italian

by HAZARDCOUNTY Written Apr 10, 2005

Locally owned located Downtown GJ. Food is fabulous. Service very good. Outdoor seating available so you can see all the downtown activity. Great for a date. Atmoshere is beautiful.

Favorite Dish: Grab a menu and chose - it is all great.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

The Ale House: Good for what ales you

by goodfish Updated Feb 15, 2012

We had a good time at this place on the 2004 trip and were pleased to find it still going strong in 2011. It's a biggish establishment with a dignified pool room, bar, open dining areas and patio, and was teeming with locals on both of our visits. In the warmer months that patio is the star: part covered, part open to the sun, and bordered by a lawn with adirondack chairs scattered about for lounging with your brew.

The menu ranges from appetizers to entrees with sandwiches and pizza in between. The Husband had a brie-and-apple chicken flatbread sammie with sweet potato fries, and I went for comfort food in the form of a light, puff-pastry chicken pot pie with a side salad (no iceberg!) Yummy. I can't recall what we ate there 7 years earlier but we remember it was good too.

Beers on tap include Breckenridge craft brews and host of other regional and national brands. Happy hour specials are from 4:00 - 6:00 PM, and 10:00 - 12:00 PM and they're rumored to have live music some nights.

Sandwiches, $10.00 and under; 20" pizzas, $20 and under; entrees, $28.00 and under. Family friendly.

• Beer Tasting

• masalazarcmc's Profile Photo

My favorite restaurant is...

by masalazarcmc Written Oct 4, 2002

My favorite restaurant is Garfield. This restaurant serves a veriety of fish. That you usually can't find unless you are in Aspen, or the Denver area.
    A nice restrant with a nice small town feeling.

Favorite Dish: All three time I have eaten there I have chosen something for the Specials menu.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Rockslide Restaurant: Rockslide Restaurant

by goingsolo Written Jan 16, 2005

This place was recommended, although I can't recall by whom. Its a pretty popular restaurant and bar, which was a pretty lively scene. This is more of a brewpub than a food pub.

The food was pretty mediocre, but that may have just been my choices. The chicken soup was warm, which is a good thing on a cold November night, but not exactly tasty. The salmon was, unsurprisingly, not very fresh and, disappointingly, not very good.

The service was very friendly though, the surroundings were pleasant and the price was not too bad. The bar has a great selection of beers.

Favorite Dish: All I can say is, don't go for the salmon. Then again, this is Colorado so you probably already know that.

• la_beba's Profile Photo

Starvin Arvin's or better...

by la_beba Written Oct 4, 2002

Starvin Arvin's or better known as PufferBelly Restaurant..... decorated all with antique little train models..... Cheap eats..... everything was ok, but dont go for the soup: all food is homemade; soup of the day was potato soup and either they still needed some boiling or they have very hard potatoes in Grand Junction!!!! :o) so much for 'anybody' starving!!!! ;o)

• Black Bear Diner: Big Hat, No Cattle

by gjjim Written Oct 13, 2006

Black Bear Diner is a fairly large restaurant located near Mesa Mall. It's called a diner, but it has a small gift shop and table seating in addition to the usual booths and counter. The menu is extensive with breakfast, lunch and dinner items served all day. In my experience, the menu may be a bit too much for the kitchen staff to handle. The food was served luke-warm, and the plating was somewhat sloppy. Their portions are HUGE (the waitress did warn us), but unfortunately there was nothing remarkable about the flavor of the food. It was what you might expect from a school cafeteria. My open face turkey sandwich was covered with a gelatinous, bland gravy, and I had to ask for some cranberry sauce to help make it edible. The meatloaf dinner my wife ordered was served at room temperature and the brown gravy had congealed over the broken up "slices" of meatloaf. Service was talkative, but careless. My wife's salad arrived at the table after the entree with a minimal apology from our waitress.

A manager asked us what we thought of the food and my wife told her it was served too cold. She thanked us for that comment and said she would look into it. As compensation for that and the late salad, we were offered a free dessert. We chose a serving of chocolate cream pie (to go) and that too turned out to be a giant portion - easily enough for four people. But when we got home and sampled it later, it was tasteless and disappointing, more like eating sweet cream in a pastry shell than a chocolate pie.

Favorite Dish: Didn't really care for any of it. Probably won't go back.

• Villiage Inn: Good anytime of day

by gjjim Updated Oct 20, 2006

The Villiage Inn is a coffee shop that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner from two locations in Grand Junction. The North Avenue store is open 24 hours, but the Horizon Drive location closes around 11PM. We've visited both dozens of times over the past five years and I can't recall any bad experiences with the food or service. Consistency is the mark of a well-managed restaurant, and Villaige Inn does a great job in that department.

Breakfast items are all very good and IMO they make the best pancakes in town. Lunch and dinner entrees are nothing fancy, but all are well prepared and reasonably priced. There have many different fruit and cream pies along with ice cream treats for dessert.

Favorite Dish: The club sandwich

• Study Abroad

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Pantuso's: Knock Out Italian!

by painterdave Written Jun 8, 2012

Located more near the Highway than downtown we decided to have Italian food as it was near the hotel. This restaurant was a real surprise....They had some great food, including mussels from Australia! Remember this city is located hours from Denver!
    The waiters are dresssed nicely, this is not a greasy spoon. Everything is clean and tidy with nice paintings and decor.

Favorite Dish: Calamari and the green mussels from Australia are not to be missed.
    Bruschetta
    ministrone
    Everyone had something different so we could see how they cook here. It all turned out awesome.
    Prices are a bit more expensive, but not outrageous for a family. Much better than visiting a fast food place.
    They have a more limited lunch menu, with lower prices.

• Garfield's: It's a bar that has a restaurant in it

by gjjim Updated Dec 12, 2008

I live in GJ and believe me, Garfield's is not known for its great food. The place is located in a small shopping center near a Safeway we frequent. The decor inside is somewhat upscale by local standards and it might be a place for a special dinner or luncheon. We visited once and were not at all impressed by the service or food quality. When you spend $25+ per person in this town you deserve better.

Judging from the clientele we see entering the place in the afternoon my guess is Garfield's bar is always busy, and I suspect that is what actually keeps them in business.

Favorite Dish: "Fruits of the Sea" - OK but not great.
    Crab Newburg - bleh!
    Fried Shrimp plate - straight from the freezer.

• Seniors

• Chicago's Nancy's: Windy City Wannabe

by gjjim Written Oct 31, 2004

Grand Junction has many good pizza places, but trust me, this isn't one of them. It's situated in a strip mall and the layout is basically like a Domino's, but with 10-15 small tables in front of the order desk. Ambiance consists of listening to clanking pans from the kitchen while dodging delivery boys as they walk through the dining area carrying their pizza bags to the front door. This might be OK if the pizza lived up to the "Chicago" in the name. Too bad they serve a pie made with cheap ingedients (nasty little balls of grease they claim is sausage) and charge $19.75 for a large size thin crust. Bottled beer (no draft available) is $3.05, so expect to pay at least $10 a head for heartburn.

Favorite Dish: The water was mighty tasty!

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Grand Junction

Comments

Grand Junction Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Grand Junction restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grand Junction sightseeing.

View all Grand Junction hotels