Greeley Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Greeley

• Race and Culture Diversity Issues

by captain-ed Written May 13, 2012

Again I must agree with Forsberg21. I have never experienced this level of inconsideration, even in Mississippi a state well known for its history of racism i was treated with some level of consideration. At a restaurant which I will leave UN-named out of courtesy my family and I made a reservation for 6pm, we arrived at 5:45pm and sat in the waiting area to be seated. My wife made a comment that others were arriving and being seated nearly as quickly as they arrived. When I inquired at the hostess desk he told me that they were quite busy and I may expect to wait 90 minutes. Nearly 2 hours later we saw 6 couples seated, everyone that was in the waiting area were seated and 2 families of 4 or 6 in their party seated. So we walked off and headed to Loveland and had dinner at a place called the Bent Fork were we were seated with in 20 min of arrival.

So if you are not Caucasian and especially it you are mixed race couple expect racial slurs, the off comment or eight, the constant staring and pointing we thought we were re-living the sixties and seventies. Also many affluent individuals of race that work in the area don't live in Greeley at the end of the day they drive home elsewhere. Apparently it is no secret that Greeley has its racial issues as a community and the locals simply don't care that it is well known. So if you are on your own and not a guest of a local host, be prepared. The only time we were treated with any level of dignity was when we were invited to dine with a local host the reservation was in their name and in less than 10 minutes of arrival we were seated. (Note at a different restaurant).

• Business Travel
    • Motorcycle

• Forsberg21's Profile Photo

Racial issues very heavy

by Forsberg21 Updated Dec 28, 2006

I'll have to warn you here, if you don't like what I have to say about this, consider that my viewpoint is widely shared.

Is your ethnicity not to be described as white? Well, be careful here, because there is moderate danger of people not liking you for it. It's not likely that you'll get mugged or anything, but people are incredibly inconsiderate on a regular basis to people who appear to have a different ethnicity than themselves. There are few Asian-Americans and African-Americans here, and people seem to like to stare at you if that happens to be your ethnicity. However, I can say that it's getting a little better; people have been a little more accepting as of late and I have seen more Asians and blacks in the stores lately. But it's no secret that Greeley lacks a multi-ethnic population, especially in comparison to places like most of Chicago and its suburbs, or many places in California. But there are many Hispanics. I've had, on more than one occasion, been hounded with racial slurs (I'm half-Asian but I am sometimes assumed to be Hispanic), and I have had visiting relatives actually chased by men in a pickup truck threatening to hurt them.

Overall, though, people are not that terrible. It's just a possibility that you will encounter racism in Colorado, especially in Greeley.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Greeley

Comments

Greeley Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Greeley warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Greeley sightseeing.