Loveland Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Loveland

RUNZA: A TASTE OF NEBRASKA.......IN COLORADO

by Rich62 Written Feb 24, 2008

STOP AT RUNZA IN NORTH LOVELAND

Runza's serve a sandwich that is descended from eastern European immigrants who settled in Nebraska. You can find Runza restaurants all over Nebraska, but this is the only one in Colorado (unless they've built another one since I posted this.).

Give them a try, they have a high level of quality in their food products.

Favorite Dish: I KNOW that my favorite would be the Runza, except that I am allergic to cabbage so I can't have it. But I can tell what it tastes like by the delicious smell.

However, their hamburgers are excellent, and that is what I always have, along with their chili if it is during cold weather.

• Rich62's Profile Photo

JOHNSON'S CORNER: THE FOOD NETWORK'S FAVORITE TRUCK STOP MEALS!

by Rich62 Updated Apr 16, 2006

THIS IS IT

First of all, we do not generally eat at truck stops. But Johnson's Corner is a kind of legendary place in Colorado. Way, way way back in the 1950's and '60's I remember stopping there for their awesome cinnamon rolls while traveling from Ft. Collins to Denver.

Recently the Food Network ranked the top five truck stop meals in America, and guess who was numero uno? Johnson's Corner, number one in the nation. So of course we had to try it again.

They have completed a major remodeling project, so they are all spiffed up for you.

Oh, and don't forget to get a Johnson's Corner T-shirt, too. I did.

Favorite Dish: This is American comfort food, and lots of it. I ordered the turkey dinner and my wife had the meat loaf dinner.

First they brought us a very nice salad and of course our drinks. But then they brought the main course. Oh my gosh. We could have split either meal. They didn't serve it on plates, it was on platters! And the platters weren't big enough so the green beans, dinner rolls and butter were served on a separate, full-size dinner plate! yow!

The turkey was fine but we thought the meat loaf was outstanding, very flavorful. (By the way, you get TWO slabs of meatloaf, not just one.) The waitresses were very nice.

They still make those awesome cinnamon rolls, too.

Be sure you are hungry when you visit Johnson's Corner.

• Business Travel

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Carl's Canteen: "Loose Meat" Sandwiches........

by 850prc Written Jun 27, 2004

Carl's Canteen, Loveland, CO

Carl's Canteen in Loveland advertises that their burgers are "Made Rite" and "World Famous". Well, first we have to clear one little thing up.........

They're not really burgers, they're loose meat sandwiches, kind of a sloppy joe without the sauce. This creation is very popular back in Iowa, which appears to be where "Carl" and company are from. Good quality ground beef is simmered with spices and then heaped onto a hamburger bun. Other items are added, per the customer's wish. (for example, cheese, onions, ketchup, mustard, horseradish-mayonnaise, etc.)

The canteen has a VERY limited menu, adding chips and a few desserty items to the afore mentioned "burgers". Not much here, actually, but it's pretty tasty.

One damned funny thing.....they have joined the national nuttiness over this Atkins Diet business. They advertised a "loose meat" Atkins meal, which is basically a bowl of cooked ground beef. At least they didn't have the nerve to charge more for the low-carb version of their feature item.

Favorite Dish: Well, the ONLY dish is really Carl's "Made Rite, World-Famous Burger", aka the loose meat sandwich.

Not bad, not great, OK.

The lady working at the place was extremely nice, like about everyone we met in Colorado.

Hell, don't take your girlfriend to Carl's before the prom, but if you just want to slap on a quick feedbag, give it a whirl. I suppose everyone needs to try a loose meat sandwich at least once in life.

THE EGG AND I: A GREAT PLACE FOR LUNCH

by Rich62 Written Sep 24, 2006

THE EGG AND I

GREAT LIGHT LUNCHES, I THINK BREAKFAST TOO. BUT THEY ARE NOT OPEN FOR DINNER!

Favorite Dish: ANY SANDWICH THEY MAKE IS GOOD.

Instant Answers: Loveland

Comments

Loveland Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Loveland restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Loveland sightseeing.