Paonia Travel Guide

Paonia Things to Do

Black Canyon

by red_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Black Canyon National Forest is one of the things to see while in Paonia. Black Canyon is actually located about 35 miles(I will put the actual mileage here, next time I go) south of Paonia, just below Crawford. It is a beautiful canyon, and cut very deep. A guy I talked to there told me that it is 1800 ft deep, and he told me it was either 2300 ft, or 2600 ft. across. I posted a picture here so you can get an idea what you will see. Once you arrive to the parking area, you will hike on level ground, slightly downhill, for about 2 minutes. This part of the Black Canyon is actually considered the end of the canyon. The canyon stretches 34 miles, reaching all the way to Montrose, CO, where it begins. In the summer months, you can find some information at the ranger station which is 1/4 mile from the parking area as you are going up. The ranger station shows the elevation to be 7700ft. Watch for coyotes, deer, elk, and an elk farm on the left in the distance along the way. The road to get to Black Canyon can be a bit confusing toward the end. Follow the signs, and you should be ok. =) The weblink below might help with the mapping and more history.

• National/State Park

Paonia Hotels

Paonia Restaurants

by red_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

For the budget in mind, Damions is reasonably priced, and has a lot of great food. I love eating there.
    The Casa, LLC is a very fancy restaraunt. They have a private chef, and wonderful food. They can be crowded at times, but if you're lucky you can pick to eat indoors, out back on the patio(recommended), and on the balcony of the second floor. Both restaurants serve local wines from the local vineyards, as well as some popular others. As a single person, Damions usually runs me around $10 to $13 including tip. I have only ate once at The Casa, LLC by myself and it ran me $30 with a tip. There are other restaurants as well. Pizzarias and a local diner.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish at Damions is the Santa Fe Burger. Messy, but very good. I also like to order their pastas.
    I only ate at The Casa, LLC once, but I ordered the pasta....excellent Don't let the prices fool you, you get plenty to eat. =)

• chauncenetta's Profile Photo
    Pizza My Heart 1 more image

by chauncenetta Updated Oct 2, 2005

Chelsea says the pizza and calzone are the best she has ever had ..... better than any in Cleveland (& Cleveland has some good pizza) and there's live music too and cowboys drinkin' their beer.
    A good family restaurant, owned and managed by Zack and Donna (my brother & sister-in-law.)

Favorite Dish: Pizza, como no.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Adventure Travel

• Paonia Hotels

1 Hotels in Paonia

15 Reviews and Opinions

Paonia Nightlife

by red_stone Written May 3, 2003

Well, what I like to do is go to the movie theater. In the summer months, they play one movie a week. In the fall to spring months, they play one new box office hit a week, and on Wednesdays and Thursdays they play international films. Movie time is 7:30pm only and the price is $6. Unless it is a film like Harry Potter, then it is on for two weeks, and plays sometimes twice a day. In the mean time, while waiting for the movie, you can eat at one of the restaurants.
    Other night life stuff, is going to the bar next to Damions, or to the Pub across the street. This is about the only thing to do in the town of Paonia at night time.

Dress Code: This town is laid back. You can dress up and no one will care, and you can dress in jeans and a t-shirt, and no one will think anything of it. If you go to The Casa restaurant then you probably should dress up some.

Paonia Transportation

by red_stone Updated May 3, 2003

This town is small enough to walk, ride a bike, or if you feel the need, you can drive a car. The weather here in the spring, summer, and fall is just perfect for walking and riding a bike. That is how you will see most of the people around here travelling. You will see lots of cars too. They are usually the people coming home from work, people getting groceries, farmers getting some water frome where they store water, people leaving the town for the day, and OF COURSE teenagers. OH.....skateboards are popular among some the teenagers around here. Occassionally you will see some people inline-skating. So however you feel the need to get around town, you will fit in just fine. I suggest walking for the newbies so that you can check out the town.

Paonia Off The Beaten Path

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

by leafmcgowan Written Sep 17, 2009

Paonia, Colorado * July 16-19, 2009 *
    Each year, in the high desert Rocky Mountain valley outside of Paonia is a music, art, and educational festival born to inspire creativity, awareness, sustainability, art, music, festivity, networking, personal growth, and social change. Its focus is learning and transformation bringing together community with members old and new for evolution together to dream the future. Its about weaving the magic of social change as well as changing the world. Live performances, music, world class bands, interactive theme camps, art installations, vendors, artists, craftspeople, food, fellowship, magic, film, theater, ritual, a green expo, free parking, and camping. Dreamtime is certainly an interesting fusion festival - you have many of the better aspects of a commercial Rainbow-family festival fused together with the spiritual aspects of the Burning Man festival. Spirituality is certainly a key focus at the event and that is an element that holds it above many others. There was a fluctuation of energy as different types of individuals with different focuses attended. The hardcore spiritual side certainly seemed more predominant wednesday through friday. Saturday got a little odd with an influx of different energy as locals and party-goers came to the event for that reason, conflicting with the spiritual. While I didn't get to go to many of the workshops as I was a vendor, I was blown away by the few I did go to and many of my friends spoke highly of the ones they attended. There were a little too few theme camps, but the ones that were there absolutely amazing. I loved the space cowboys camp as it brought much fun for me each night. The concerts and musical performances were fabulous. The movies from local Denver filmmakers were humorous and entertaining. The food was sensational. Theater, music, spoken word, multimedia, fashion shows, Djs, workshops, bellydancing, yoga, nature walks, sweat lodges, healing camps, costumes, bodypainting, divination, and frolick was all making it a very magical weekend. I will certainly be back. Rating: 4.25 stars out of 5.

• Festivals
    • Theater Travel

by red_stone Written May 3, 2003

Off the beaten Path. Well, I just moved here, so I am still learning. I will get this updated sometime during the summer. I titled this page Orchards because there are lots of them, and there are also wineries that I haven't been to yet. But this is something that I consider off the beaten path. My way to "taste Paonia."

• Wine Tasting

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Paonia? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Paonia Favorites

Nov.15,2002 - Mt. Lamborn/Paonia

by red_stone Written May 3, 2003

Favorite thing: I have just moved here to Paonia, and WOW is what comes to mind when I wake up everyday. The skies are almost always blue/clear, and it is rarely windy. The question asked to me here is what site would I take someone to see. I have three actually. Walking downtown, the Black Canyon, and a drive up the mountains for a breathtaking view overlooking Paonia, and Bowie. The picture to the left is showing Mt. Lamborn. Paonia is located at the base of the mountain(center) shown.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Paonia when I am away, is the ability to relax at home or anywhere else in the town of Paonia. It is very peaceful here. Paonia is a very quiet town with no heavy traffic, excluding the trains that come through during the day. I like to relax at home, in one of the two coffee shops, and walking up & down Grand Ave.(the main street through town).

Instant Answers: Paonia

Comments

Paonia Travel Guide
Map of Paonia