Steamboat Springs Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Steamboat Springs

THE TREE LINE

by RACCOON1 Updated Jun 14, 2005
    THE  TOP  OF  MT. WERNER

Favorite thing: You will notice in the picture that the treeline goes to the top of the montain over 10000 ft high.

This is quite different from France Switzerland or Canada where the treeline is at 6000 ft elevation ( plus or minus).

Having the treeline all the way to the top helps greatly when it snows or the clouds roll in. When you enveloped in white out you know you do not have to go far to reach the trees and the edge of the trail.

You always have a frame of reference.

SOME DAYS ARE PERFECT

by RACCOON1 Updated Jun 12, 2005
    TOP OF MT. WERNER

Favorite thing: The top of Mt. Werner is at 10568 ft ( 322 m.) and the base is at 6900 ft ( 2100 m). The altitude plus the fact that this is a very dry climate means that you can become dehydrated very quickly . Drink lots of water , not wine , beer or coffee.

Fondest memory: We got lucky with weather and snow..

SKI LESSONS

by RACCOON1 Written Jun 12, 2005
    BASE OF GONDOLA

Favorite thing: On the US March Schol Break a big percentage of the visitors to Steamboat are familys . The mountain is excellent for beginner skiers .

The picture show the area around the Gondola Base where most of the ski schools do their work .

• cat-napping in the wilderness

by arasnosliw Written Jan 15, 2005

lounging around a stream (okay that's not me)

Favorite thing: I've spent many, many a day exploring the wilderness of Steamboat and the surrounding area. Quite frankly, the wilderness is what I adore about Steamboat. I could spend hours exploring, hiking, camping, climbing, and always find some place new to me. My most favorite memories involve lounging around mountain streams and cat-napping under the warm sun.

• Water Sports
    • Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

Ticket prices

by KaiM Updated Jan 8, 2004
    My ticket to Steamboat

Favorite thing: Unfortunately Steamboat is one of the more expensive ski resorts. Obviously because of its quality... Well, for the 2003/2004 winter season costs for a day ticket range from 64 to 69 dollars depending on the different seasons. But you should look for special deals in local papers or brochures. Sometimes they offer special priced tickets via the Internet, too.

Mountain Facts

by KaiM Updated Dec 12, 2003
    Steamboat trail map

Favorite thing: Instead of being a single mountain, Steamboat is almost a mountain range. The ski area consists of Storm Peak (my favorite), Mount Werner (the biggest), Sunshine Peak, Thunderhead Peak, Pioneer Ridge and Christie Peak. That means 2,939 acres (1176 hectares) skiable terrain. The base elevation is 6,900 feet (2103 meters). The summit elevation is 10,568 feet (3224 meters). Steamboat has 142 named trails plus several backcountry tree runs. The longest run is over three miles (4.8 kilometers) long.

Perfect backcountry snowboarding

by KaiM Updated Dec 12, 2003
    Funtastic - powder tree runs

Favorite thing: Are you looking for real deep and dry powder? How about some tree runs? Perfect backcountry? Then take the Storm Peak Express lift at Steamboat. From the mountain top you can easily access the backcountry. I bet you will find terrain with no tracks. I was there on a powder day with several feet of new snow. Gorgeous! One of the best snowboarding days I ever had.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Suck in that clean, mountain...

by Cabana_Boy Updated Sep 8, 2002

The Rocky Mountains near Steamboat Springs, CO.

Favorite thing: Suck in that clean, mountain air...

Fondest memory: Perhaps not a fond memory, but a memorable story all the same. I arrived into Steamboat a full day after all of my friends, so, they had checked into the condo, gotten all the lift tickets for the group, beers for the fridge AND had a full day on the mountain before I got there... Naturally, the morning after I arrived, I woke up early and got ready for my first day of snowboarding while they (Dave, GG & Action Jimmy) woke up extra slow complaining of pains and cramps resulting from their first day on the mountain.

Action Jimmy was the only other snowboarder in the bunch, so, I rushed that tired slug out the door with me as fast as possible, not waiting for those snotty skiers, Dave & GG. We took full advantage of our Ski-in/Ski-out facility and within minutes (and a few falls) were at the base of the mountain ready to get on the lifts. That’s when I realized GG (who my parents tell me is also my brother) hadn’t given me my lift ticket that he “picked up for me” on his first day into Steamboat. S-O-L, I have to pop-off my board, find the Shuttle bus back to our condo and then go searching through GG’s stuff to find my lift ticket…Action Jimmy gets to ride more – not fair... Anyway, upon arriving back at the condo, I run in as quickly as possible and the first thing I see when entering the condo is my lift ticket on the kitchen counter top with a little note beside it. On the note, in my brother’s chicken-scratch handwriting were two words: “Dumb Ass.” By the way, I have several other nicknames for my brother besides “GG.”

• aussie79's Profile Photo

Go Skiing!! Why else would...

by aussie79 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go Skiing!! Why else would you go there?
    Regular Season:
    Dec. 20, 2000 - Jan. 1, 2001 and Feb. 15 - April 3, 2001

Adult per day (total) $59 Teen* per day (total) $52

2 consecutive days $58 (116) $52 (104)

3 days out of 4 days $58 (174) $52 (156)

4 days out of 6 days $55 (220) $52 (208)

5 days out of 7 days $53 (265) $46 (230)

6 days out of 8 days $51 (306) $46 (276)

Early and Spring Season:
    November 23, 2000 - Dec. 19, 2000 and April 4, 2001 - April 15, 2001

Adult per day (total) Teen*per day (total)
    1 day $51 $44

2 consecutive days $51 (102) $44 (88)

3 days out of 4 days $51 (153) $44 (132)

4 days out of 6 days $46 (184) $44 (176)

5 days out of 7 days $46 (230) $39 (195)

6 days out of 8 days $44 (264) $39 (234)

Value Season:
    January 2, 2001 - February 14, 2001

Adult per day (total) Teen* per day (total)

1 day $56 $49

2 consecutive days $56 (112) $49 (98)

3 days out of 4 days $56 (168) $49 (147)

4 days out of 6 days $52 (208) $49 (196)

5 days out of 7 days $51 (255) $44 (220)

6 days out of 8 days $49 (294) $44 (264)

Youth Tickets: Early and Spring, Regular, and Value Seasons

Early and Spring per day//Regular per day//Value
    per day

per day//Value
    per day

Senior** (age 65-69) $33//$35//$35

Super Senior** 70 and over FREE//FREE//FREE
    Seven or more day lift tickets are available at the same daily rate as the 6 out of 8 day ticket.
    * A 'Teen Ticket' is available to ages 13-18. Proof of age is also required on site for all teens 16-18 years old or teens that appear that age to the ticket agent.
    ** Proof of age: photo I.D. is required on all Senior and Super Senior tickets.

• rebibi's Profile Photo

Go skiing!On my last downhill...

by rebibi Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go skiing!
    On my last downhill run I thought to be helpful to a person who lost one of his skis, but shortly before I was very close to him to give him his ski I fell myself, threw away his ski and on my back head first I slipped down the steep and long hill. I never made it that fast before! Down the hill it stopped and all I still had was ONE pole. A few minutes later, a friendly couple brought my skis and the other pole. As this was our very fist day skiing in Colorado I was very happy that nothing happened to me!

Skiing pics see travelogue

• Wilson's Profile Photo

Ski the 'Chutes' and the...

by Wilson Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Ski the 'Chutes' and the 'Gates' (Gate A, B, C, and D.....some of the best terrain on the mountain.) Steamboat is a great vacation spot in Colorado for those who are looking to get away from the glitz, frills, and tourist feel of Vail and Aspen. Steamboat is a true 'western-style' town that carries with it a nice down to earth atmosphere.

Fondest memory: Soaking in the natural hot springs after a long day of powder skiing.

WHEN IT SNOWS AND THE CLOUDS ROLL IN

by RACCOON1 Written Jun 14, 2005
    CLOUDS  AND  SNOWING

Favorite thing: OK . The trees help with visibility but there is still a problem.

This is actually good visibility.

And the snow is perfect .

• tetonski1's Profile Photo

Lunch on the Hill at the Four Points Hut!

by tetonski1 Written Dec 28, 2004

Four Points Hut Sundeck on Steamboat Mountain

Favorite thing: If I close my eyes I can still picture myself sitting on the Four Points sundeck, with the aroma of freshly grilled burgers and brats wafting through the air.

The view is beautiful!

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Steamboat Springs

Comments

Steamboat Springs Favorites

Reviews and photos of Steamboat Springs favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Steamboat Springs sightseeing.

View all Steamboat Springs hotels