Vail Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Vail

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

High Altitude

by GracesTrips Written Jun 28, 2006

Favorite thing: Before I went to Vail, I perused the Vail Travel site here on VT. Lots of information about adjusting to the altitude. I was fine for almost the entire trip except....instead of taking the elevator one day back to our room, we climbed the stairs. After four flights of stairs, I was so winded that my chest was pounding and hurt like I was having a heart attack! I had to sit down to catch my breath. You don't realize how it affects you until you exert yourself. Also, took a short walk up the ski slope and found I needed to take a rest about every 10-15 feet or so. Coming back down was not a problem.

• hollycamille's Profile Photo

Once in Vail, it is very easy to get around

by hollycamille Written Apr 22, 2005
    my sister, my brother, and I

Favorite thing: The sheer beauty of the Rockies, the dry air, and the friendly people are just a few of my favorite things about Vail. Plus, it is very easy to explore the town. There is a free shuttlebus to take you to different stops, or you can simply walk.

• Spa and Resort
    • Skiing and Boarding

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

More winter scenes

by goingsolo Updated Sep 25, 2004
    Vail Village

Favorite thing: This was the first snowstorm of the season. Several inches of white powder fell over the course of a few hours, covering the cobblestone streets and slanted Bavarian rooftops.

Fondest memory: Being from south Florida, I don't have many opportunities to see snow. This was my first time seeing snow fall. Watching the snow falling over the village from the balcony on this picturesque November morning was about as perfect as a winter scene can get.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Vail Valley Music Festival

by goingsolo Written May 7, 2004

Favorite thing: The Vail Valley music festival is goes on from late June through early August. A series of concerts are held in the Ampitheatre at Vail and at the Center for the Arts in Beaver Creek.

Fondest memory: www.vailvalleymusicfestival.org to view schedules and obtain ticket information.

• realde14's Profile Photo

Stay in a place where you can cook

by realde14 Written Aug 31, 2003
    New way of grilling...

Favorite thing: If you are in a group, stay in place that has a kitchen or a grill. Eating out in Vail or Beaver Creek is expensive, and eating at home more fun! Besides, you will spend your money on apres-ski beer and nachos anyway.

Stop by the Information Office

by GroovyDoc Written Jan 8, 2003

Favorite thing: Be sure to swing by the Information Office (on the frontage road) when arriving in Vail. Not only can they give you the latest ski conditions & maps of the trails, but also they can give you great last minute hotel deals and ski school information.

Ride the gondola

by GroovyDoc Written Feb 25, 2003
    THE GONDOLA IS JUST BEHIND US!

Favorite thing: Even if you don't ski, at least ride the gondola up to the top. On the way, you'll have spectacular views of the mountains and valley, and at the top you can have lunch at the restaurant (beware: the restaurant is EXPENSIVE!!!)

• Adventure Travel

Learn to Ski

by GroovyDoc Written Feb 25, 2003
    SKI SCHOOLMATES

Favorite thing: If you've never skied before or if you're not that confident with your ski skills, take the ski school classes. It's only $135 for 3 days of ski school which includes lift tickets and ski rentals for all 3 days. The office is at the foot of the gondola.

Fondest memory: the beautiful powdery snow! (and falling down in it!)

• Adventure Travel

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Dip your toes in the stream

by Pawtuxet Written Feb 25, 2003

VERY cold water...

Favorite thing: We were in Colorado to visit my son, who worked there for a couple of years. Obviously it was not ski season. There are plenty of places to hike and bike ... have a picnic...the mountains and streams are picture perfect. Definately a ski town, tho.

• Eco-Tourism

• KaiM's Profile Photo

Trapped in the snow

by KaiM Written Sep 12, 2002

Just before entering a deep powder run

Fondest memory: Getting stucked in four feet high powder. I needed 30 minutes to dig myself out of the fresh snow. Another 10 minutes to get on my board again and continue the run. Add 30 more minutes for the following break at a bar where I had a hot chocolate.

• Ski at Beaver Creek. It was...

by bluestorm Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Ski at Beaver Creek. It was terrific because once off of the shuttle you can easily access the locker area then it's off to the ski lifts.

Vail was horrible due to the excessive walking to obtain a ski lift.

Fondest memory: At Beaver Creek, the people (all nationalities) were really nice and the shopping, and iceskating area.

• John195123's Profile Photo

Vail has many great sports...

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Vail has many great sports stores. One which may help the most is called Surefoot. They specialize in making your boots, skiboots and shoes fit better and feel better, by adjusting them, creating pads that make the boots more comfortable, especially ski boots. Our feet may be canted one direction or another, and this may prove uncomfortable when skiing. Head over to Surefoot and they'll design relief for your feet by computer. Of course, this will cost you! It's not cheap, but it really helps when skiing. They do good work, and are knowledgeable and friendly.
    Official ski boot service center for the US Ski Team, I think.
    Address:

Email:
    vail@surefoot.com
    Website:
    www.surefoot.com

There are other stores you can check out online!

• John195123's Profile Photo

There were two ranches we went...

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: There were two ranches we went to one summer in Vail. Each of them was great, and the rides were quite nice. I don't know the names, but I'm looking. One ranch took us up towards the cliffs, through the fields of sage, stopping for a photo along the way. The other had different terrain, but was equally as beautiful. I don't know what more to say about them.

• Nobbe's Profile Photo

The largest attraction in the...

by Nobbe Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: The largest attraction in the Vail Valley during the winter or summer is Vail Mountain. Vail is one of America's most popular and prestigous ski resorts. There are activities and tours taking place year-round on the mountain. You can also enjoy dinner and winter events such as tubing, ski biking and laser tag at the top of the gondola, with an amazing view from the top of Vail Mountain.

Fondest memory: The town features many restaurants and shops in the style and charm of a european ski village. Vail packs all the amenities of the city into a elegant ski town with access to some of the most beautiful mountains.

• Wilson's Profile Photo

Back Bowls

by Wilson Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: If you go during the winter, you must get up early and ski the back bowls of Vail. They are, without a doubt, the signature ski runs for this mountain. After a night of snow, there is nothing better than making fresh tracks on these wide open bowls!

Instant Answers: Vail

Comments

Vail Favorites

Reviews and photos of Vail favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vail sightseeing.