Westcliffe Travel Guide

Christmas morning in Westcliffe
    by Bluematter
  • Rainbows from up in the mountains after a storm
    Rainbows from up in the mountains after...
    by grandmaR
  • Partly done painting of the church in Westcliffe
    Partly done painting of the church in...
    by grandmaR

Westcliffe Hotels

Westcliffe Restaurants

• LauraEllen's Profile Photo

by LauraEllen Written Jul 8, 2009

The food here was wonderful, as was the service. I had a delicious appetizer of portobello mushrooms with balsamic sauce. My husband had an appetizer of ravioli, which he loved. We shared the pot roast and it was more than enough food. We asked for the dessert to go so that we could have it later, and the cheesecake was very nice. If you go to Westcliffe, don't miss this restaurant! It is worth it.

• Hiking and Walking

• Bluematter's Profile Photo

by Bluematter Updated Mar 2, 2008

The Feed Store is a excellent place to have a good dinner and glass of Port or Red. It has a great atmosphere and the service has been very good.

Favorite Dish: The rack of Lamb is fantastic. If your in the mood for Seafood their Seafood pasta will fill you up and sated.

• Camping
    • Mountain Climbing

• Westcliffe Hotels

2 Hotels in Westcliffe

Westcliffe Off The Beaten Path

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Written May 16, 2005

Hermit Lake is located in the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies at an elevation of meters 3657(~ 12,000 ft). We hiked up to the lake, but apparently you can now drive up there with 4 wheel drive on Hermit Pass Road, which is described as a ".. rough road past a high lake to 13,000-foot Hermit Pass, with access to Hermit Peak, Rito Alto Peak, and Rito Alto Lake. This is a popular road that gets heavy use up to Hermit Lake during the summer months. Avoid weekends and holidays to escape most of the crowds...."

When we went, there was no one else up there. The water was very clear and cold even though it was July. I think my Dad used to climb up here to fish. I caught a garter snake, and on the way down we saw a hailstorm in the valley below us. Afterwards, my Dad took this picture of the double rainbow. My copy of his picture is somewhat more blurred than the original.

Me with a garter snake I caught on the trail Old postcard
    • Fishing
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing

Westcliffe Favorites

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Written May 16, 2005

Favorite thing: My dad's family who came from Germany and settled in the valley were Lutherans. Even though my grandparents lived in Silver Cliff, the church they went to was Hope Lutheran Church in Westcliff.

The Custer County C of C site says:

"(312 So. 3rd Street)-Built on this site in 1917, it houses one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in the state, orgainzed in 1872, when a group of German colonists settled in an area about 12 miles southwest of Westcliffe. Many descendants of these early settlers still live in the valley. The cross on the 96 foot steeple was originally covered with gold leaf. The church is on the National Register of Historical places."

Fondest memory: I don't really remember it, but I was baptized here. My mom was highly indignant because she wasn't allowed to carry me up to the alter because she was not a Missouri Synod Lutheran. My dad and his siblings were also baptized here, and it was here that my grandmother's funeral was held. I do remember that.

I took a picture of the church at the time that we moved from California to Key West in October 1966, and I painted this picture of it in 1967 when we lived in Key West. This photo of the picture was taken before it was finished. It does not yet have the golden aspen trees in it.

Half finished painting of Hope Lutheran
    • Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Westcliffe

Comments

Westcliffe Travel Guide
Map of Westcliffe