Brookfield Travel Guide

Delicious pizza
  • Restaurants

Brookfield Things to Do

Grocery Shop at The Brookfield Market
    Its been there since the 1800's and it has a very small town feel.

Brookfield Hotels

Brookfield Restaurants

Delicious pizza 4 more images

by cjg1 Updated Sep 24, 2012

Frank Pepe’s has been serving delicious pizza since 1925. Since those humble beginnings in New Haven, Connecticut; the business and branched out with various locations throughout Connecticut and New York. Two locations in New Haven, Fairfield, Brookfield, Manchester and Uncasville (at Mohegan Sun Casino) are in CT. A location in Yonkers NY right on Central Avenue is a welcome addition to the chain of pizzerias.

My wife and I first tried this delicious pizza several years ago at Mohegan Sun and from then on we’ve been hooked. The specialty is their “Original Tomato Pie” which is served in small, medium and large sizes. Toppings can be added to the Tomato pie for additional charge. They also have specialty pizzas, salads and a nice selection of Foxton Park Sodas (while we love).

I have to admit I have never tried their “Tomato Pie”. We have always ordered on of the specialty pizzas; The White Pie with spinach, mushrooms, gorgonzola, mozzarella and grated cheese. To me; this is the best pizza ever hands down. The crust is perfectly crisp and thin. The toppings are fresh and delicious. The cheese is silky and salty; so good. The Foxton Park sodas are also a treat for us. Old Fashioned styled sodas in tasty flavors such as cream, white birch beer, orange and root beer are my favorites.

We recently came to this particular location when visiting a friend in Brookfield. We ordered our favorite white pizza with a orange soda and a white birch beer. We usually order a medium pie which is perfect for two and usually leaves us leftover but that day we were unusually hungry and ordered a large. The large was gigantic and we left with about 8 slices of pizza in a take home box; which made for some tasty snacking later that night. The restaurant is very clean, the service is good and the pizza is incredible. I can’t wait to return.

**The location is very close to the highway; which makes it an easy on/off when road tripping up 684.**

Favorite Dish: The White Pizza is always a favorite with the tasty gorgonzola cheese, spinach and mushrooms...it can't be beat in my opinion.

Juicy Burger 2 more images

by cjg1 Updated Oct 12, 2009

I had heard from numerous people about the Five Guys chain of burger joints; Liz's brother in particular. I recently had the opportunity to check out the place for myself. Liz and I were in Brookfield shopping and decided to stop for a burger. The place was pretty simple in decor with red and white tiles and a few tables scattered throughout. The menu was posted on a lareg board above the cashier and had the basic burgers, hotdogs, topping options, soda and french fries. Liz decided on a plain cheeseburger with a coke and fries. I ordered the bacon cheeseburger with jalapenos. We paid for our meal and were told to have a seat until our number was called. We had a seat and waited maybe 8 minutes for our number to be called.

I was quite surprised that the burgers were double burgers. The burger patties wer stackd with cheese and bacon inbetween the layers and on a soft sesame seed bun. I was surprise at the overall juiciness of the burgers and the freshness of the jalapenos. After eating my burger I could barely eat two french fries. The fries came in a large white cup but were okay; nothing special. Liz enjoyed her burger and remarked at the large amount of cheese and the qaulity of the bun. I was glad we stopped in to try the burger it was better than I thought.

Favorite Dish: The burger was very good for a chain restuarant. I would definitely have another if I happened to be in the area.

by cjg1 Written Aug 5, 2009

Down the Hatch is a place we frequent with our friends Kim and Jimmy during the summer months. They live close to Candlewood Lake; so this is a nice spot to have drinks and enjoy some food outdoors. Down th Hatch is right on the lake with an inside dining area and dockside tables and a bar. The view of the lake is very nice from this location and there is always a boat or two pulling up to grab a bite to eat. This place really gets jammed and it's best to come early on a weekend or during the week before the Happy Hour crowd rolls in.

The menu is a mix of seafood, ribs, burgers and bar food type items. We like to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather while having drinks and a bite to eat. The girls get to drink margaritas or martinis while Jim and I get some ice cold beer. This is a great place to people watch since there are some interesting "characters" about. Jimmy's even run into a few of his past arrests here...quite amusing.

Favorite Dish: We usually just order a bunch of appetizers to share: fried calamari, nachos, peel and eat shrimp and buffalo wings. The fried calamari is very crispy and good and the peel and eat shrimps are a nice size. The nachos are piled high with cheese,sour cream, onions beans and lettuce. The buffalo wings are very good and Jim and I tend to be the ones eating these.

I've had the fish & chip basket here before and it's actually quite good. The french fries were okay.

Brookfield Shopping

by cjg1 Updated Oct 12, 2009

Stew Leonards is hard to define; it's a grocery store/deli/bakery/ butcher/fish monger/garden center. Everything food can be found here and it's very good. This particular location od Stew Leonards is my favorite. The facility is larger and the staff is more accomodating. After parking the car we usually check out the garden center and their different seasonal plants. Upon entering the store there is athe bakery section and the ice cream counter. The ice cream and gelato here is very god and makes for a nice treat. The bakery section is full of some tasty, donuts, bread, mufins, cookies,rice cakes, bagels, cakes and pies. There are always samples of some baked good available for a little taste. Next is the cheese section that has assorted world cheeses as well as fresh mozzarella made right on site. The olives are also in this area and are very delicious. The meat and fish sections are my favorite with beautiful cuts of beef, veal, chicken and a varity of fresh seafood. The produce area has delicious fresh veggies and fruit to choose from. The prepared foods section has some incredible ready made meals, salads, soups, pizza, sushi, chicken and chinese food; perfect for work lunches. The quality and freshness of the food at Stews keeps us coming back for more evry time we need to shop.

**There is an outdoor petting zoo for kids. This place gets filled with families so it is a nice distraction for the kids while Mom tries to shop. Throughout the store are interactive musical puppets, mooing cow statues, stuffed lobsters on swings and roaming characters such as a coe. On our last visit Liz got to make friends and hug the roaming cow....I found it amusing.*

What to buy: I don't think I could narrow down just a few items but I will try... The apple cider donuts are incredibly good and made fresh right before your eyes. The apple cider is incredible and fresh..I never eave without a jug of it. Liz like the rice cakes here and the cinnamon rolls. Their ciabatta rolls are quite good and I like them for my work sandwiches. The filet mignon here is excellent and cut to order. The Stew Leonard's brand bacon is also quite nice. The seafood here is very fresh and we enjoy their jumbo shrimp, scallops and crab legs. The prepared foods are good especially the stuffed peppers, tabouli and the buternut squash soups.

What to pay: Affordable

Brookfield Local Customs

by SURFIN7TH Written Oct 4, 2002

I learned to respect nature growing up in Brookfield. Everything was so clean that you felt obligated to keep it that way. This is a picture of my father and his best friend Don after a successful day of trout fishing.

Brookfield Favorites

by SURFIN7TH Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to 'the lake'. This bridge connects Brookfield to Bridgewater. There's a boat ramp just off the bridge on the right across from Brookfield. There are some nice beaches and parks in this area also.

Fondest memory: Jumping off this bridge on hot summer days was a favorite past time. I keep looking for bigger and better things to jump off but I have very good memories and luckily no real injuries associated with that.

by SURFIN7TH Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: See the leaves change in the Fall! The snow hanging on the trees in the Winter, The flowers blooming in the Spring and the Swans on the lakes in the Summer.

For a better look go to:
    http://
    www.brookfield.americantowns.com/servlets/WebPage

Fondest memory: My fondest memories were of boating and fishing in the lakes and streams throughout the area. My house, pictured, overlooked Lake Lilleanoah. Pond Brook River was my favorite trout stream, walking distance away. Lake Candlewood is the largest lake around and it's where I learned to water-ski.

• Brookfield Hotels

2 Hotels in Brookfield

29 Reviews and Opinions

Instant Answers: Brookfield

Comments

Brookfield Travel Guide
Map of Brookfield