Chester Travel Guide

• Chester
  • Chester

Chester Things to Do

by msbrandysue Updated Mar 16, 2010

The small downtown Chester area is very small, and easily accessible. I went on a quiet week day and thoroughly enjoyed just looking in the shops, restaurants and galleries. The beauty of the little shops and sound of the creek nearby make it such a neat little moment for the vacation.

Behind the main shops is a nice brook, too. It's very nice and tranquil.

There's a little kitty in the middle of the pic 4 more images

by msbrandysue Written Mar 16, 2010

It's inevitable. You will see the lovely homes as you are driving around Chester. They are from another time, in my opinion. Just looking at them made me happy. :)

• Architecture
    • Photography

• Chester Hotels

0 Hotels in Chester

Chester Restaurants

by msbrandysue Updated Apr 4, 2011

I stopped at Miravela's while I was on my way from Chester to East Haddam. There were about 3-5 families here eating pizza and pasta dishes. I ordered pizza at the counter and then was seated by a waitress. The pizza was amazing. You could tell it was made fresh. It was so good I ordered an extra slice to take back to the hotel lol.

The atmosphere was very casual, friendly and felt like a little diner in a small town. I loved it.

Favorite Dish: The pepperoni pizza was fantastic. Great prices too. I think I paid about $7 for 2 giant slices of pepperoni pizza and a soda.

by msbrandysue Written Mar 17, 2010

Restaurant du Village was recommended by 1000 Things to See Before You Die, USA Edition. Its French menu was very impressive, changed daily due to the chef's choice and the availability of fresh ingredients.

The food was wonderful, while the presentation was even better. When I sat down at the table I was immediately given a choice of water. After I ordered I was brought a basket of bread and an hor'd'eurve of a cracker with duck pate (liver). I got it down without embarrassing myself. :)

I choose not to get an appetizer but ordered the salmon and vegetables as my main course. I decided to get a chocolate cake and cappucino for desert. Along with a glass of white wine my meal was about $65.

The ambience was really lovely. The small place only seats about 10-15 small tables. There were only 3 other parties there as I made my reservation aron 5:30pm to make sure I had plenty of time to get to my theater show on time.

Again, this place deserves an award for their hospitality, delicious food and wonderful location. As long as they serve fish so I have a choice of food to consume, I'll always praise this place.

Reservations are recommended.
    Dinner is served from 5 pm every evening. The bar opens at 4. Closed on Tuesday

Favorite Dish: The salmon was fantastic. Chocolate cake dessert supurb.

****UPDATE****
    Restaurant du Village closed in July of 2009. There is still a restaurant in its place. It's now known as Restaurant L&E /French 75 Bar. It seems to be the same presentation, only with the Bar section being a bit more informal.

by msbrandysue Written Mar 16, 2010

As you may have seen in my other posts, Downtown Chester has many lovely restaurants in its small radius. There's a nice evening restaurant, Restaurant du Village, then you have some sandwich and salad places and a bar/grill.

In almost all of the places the doors are open to the nice air outside or there are small table to enjoy the nice summer air. I would definitely save a meal for this area. It's well worth it.

Favorite Dish: My favorite was definitely the Restaurant du Village...as you'll see next. :)

Chester Shopping

The accessory boutique I shopped at 3 more images

by msbrandysue Updated Mar 17, 2010

Downtown Chester is a great place to get a bit of shopping in. Divided into art galleries, shops and restaurants this place is easily accessible and not too crowded. The shops are small houses transformed into designer-independent shops. All of the items here seem to be hand-crafted. I went into a boutique that had hand crafted jewelry and accessories. All of the other shops were where artists had created items rather than them being something you order from a warehouse and put on a shelf. Great unique shopping here.

What to buy: Art, artistic pieces such as jewelry, designer clothes, etc.

What to pay: There aren't any thrift stores here...so imagine to find some high end deals rather than lower.

Chester Favorites

by msbrandysue Written Mar 17, 2010

Favorite thing: Taken from the following plaque made by the Chester Historical Society:

Chester is located on land known as Pattaconk or Pattyquounk in Indian deeds of the 1660s. Settled largely by families from Saybrook, it became the Fourth Ecclesiastical Society of the Saybrook Congregational Church in 1740 and was incorporated as the Town of Chester in 1836.

Power from the two streams which flow through the town brought industry at an early date. The 17th century saw the first grist and saw mills at Cedar Lake. After the Revolution, ship building flourished, and throughout the 19th century factories manufacturing tools and household wares prospered. The Chester ferry began operation in 1769.

Instant Answers: Chester

Comments

Chester Travel Guide
Map of Chester