Essex Restaurants

• Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Essex

Burger King: Sometimes You Just Need a Cheeseburger

by msbrandysue Updated Aug 14, 2010

Burger King is the international home of the Whopper (yuck). When I was in Historic Essex I went out on the Schooner and shopped so by the time I was finished I missed the food at the Coffee and Tea Company, they closed. The Tap Room was loud and finished serving dinner so I had to find something.

My GPS pointed me to Burger King, though it's actually in the Old Saybrook city limits. It's about 5-10 minutes from where I was in Essex. It was close enough to take back to the room at the Griswold Inn, though and I ate in my room. It was sufficient for a meal to feed my tummy for the night.

Favorite Dish: I eat the cheeseburgers and love the onion ring sauce (kind of like the orange sauce you get with the awesome blossoms of Outback and Chili's). The new BK Joe coffee drink is my new choice.

Pizza Hut: Pizza Buffet

by msbrandysue Updated Aug 14, 2010

The Buffet

Well, Pizza Hut is the biggest pizza chain, probably in every state if not city in the United States. Their pizza choices are vast and I order them on a somewhat regular basis because my dad likes their pizza.

I went to this Pizza Hut (which is actually in the city limits of Old Saybrook) while I was waiting for the Essex Steam Train. I had about an hour to kill. I came around lunch time so I ate the lunch buffet. With a drink I think I paid about $7 or so plus a small tip for the waitress.

They also had a $5 menu with things like pizza rolls or a mini pizza. Or, you can always order their pizzas which are from about $10-15.

There was really no one else in the restaurant so the buffet was somewhat small but I've been when there are more people and the pizza choices can vary a bit more.

Overall, it was a nice place to kill time and get a bite to eat while waiting on the Essex Train but not too expensive, although not an authentic, local place.

Favorite Dish: I love the thin crust, with lots of crunch!

The buffet price does not include the drink but it does include pizza, salad, and simple desserts like pudding.

Essex Coffee and Tea Company: A Coffee and Snack While Strolling

by msbrandysue Written Aug 1, 2010

While strolling around Main Street I stopped here for a sandwich and coffee. Unfortunately, I think the place was closing so I just ordered a coffee. However, the iced coffee was just right for a warm afternoon and the little tables and chairs were quite nice to take a break.

The small place which includes a few tables and chairs inside if it's too cold or hot outside. It's a nice spot right across from the Griswold Inn, so it's very convenient for those visiting the historic site or the river.

Favorite Dish: The iced coffee was good, but wished I could have also had a panini. Next time. :)

• Singles

Griswold Inn Hunt Brunch: Ultimate Sunday Brunch

by msbrandysue Updated May 16, 2010

The Griswold Inn presents their Sunday Hunt Brunch and I would definitely recommend this even if you aren't staying in the area. The food is superb and the setting is fantastic. Eating in a tavern that has existed since our first President was alive is an amazing experience to me. To know that the tradition is priceless and has fulfilled so many different people is pretty amazing.

The waitstaff was very kind. I had a great mimosa and coffee, with water. The food is all you can consume. It's just a really great experience and a meal all at the same time.

Favorite Dish: The waffle bar was AWESOME, but there was a young boy right behind the area making sure everything was nicely organized. I was too embarrassed to get more than one. LOL The scrambled eggs and bacon were amazing, best I've had.

• peterd1331's Profile Photo

Olive Oyl's: Great Fresh Sandwiches

by peterd1331 Updated Jul 25, 2006

They have great original sandwich creations with catchy names such as "The Endevour". They also offer other things from salads to complete diners. Of course, they have all the basics too and more. They also have great coffee as well as olive oil and other gifts and sweets. You will not be dissapointed.
    Once you get your food, make sure to walk down to the riverfront and enjoy it on the greass or one of the benches!

Favorite Dish: "The Endevour" : a sanwich with turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, with a cucumber yogurt spread!

• peterd1331's Profile Photo

Sweet P's: Cool down with some Ice Cream!

by peterd1331 Written Jul 25, 2006

Sweat P's is a delicious small Ice Cream and Candy Store in the heart of downtown Essex! they sell old-fashoned Ice Cream and lots of different candy. A heavenly place for kids and kids-at-heart!

Note - It's only open in the summer!

Favorite Dish: Their Rocky Road Ice Cream! It's da bomb!

• LeeParis's Profile Photo

We ate in the Steamship Room...

by LeeParis Updated Oct 4, 2002

We ate in the Steamship Room at the Griswold Inn. Expensive but delicious!

We got a takeout snack from Olive Oyl's. The strawberry/blueberry/peach cake was out of this world!
    There is an oil painting in the Steamship Room that actually moves. It makes you feel as if you are on a boat. I thought I was crazy at first, but my companion verified it for me after I asked. Then, I checked their website and they mention the 'moving picture'. :-)

Instant Answers: Essex

Comments

Essex Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Essex restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Essex sightseeing.