Mackenzie's Grill Room, Greenwich

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Mackenzie's Grill Room: Bad Food but Good Company

by cjg1 Updated Jul 17, 2009

The Bad Nachos

Neither Liz and I had been to Mackenzie's before but were set to meet up with some friends for drinks. We decided to get here early and grab a bite to eat. The place was in a strip mall which I let slide since I have been to good places before that were in bad locations. The bar area was tiny and the dining room was even smaller. We were seated at a booth for two which was incredibly small. Our waitress seemed disinterested when handing us menus and bringing over beverages. The menu had the basic pub grub food; burgers, nachos, steak sandwiches, etc. Our waitress came back with my diet coke and Liz's iced tea and took our order. I decided on the nachos since I wasn't terribly hungry and Liz ordered a cheese burger. Our table was off balance and kept tipping whenever we moved which made eating an intersting and annoying experience. The nachos were gross. they tasted as if they took Tostito chips out of the bag, sloped meat, beans, salsa and cheese and microwaved them. The guacamole on top tasted like it was from a jar and was incredibly sour. Needless to say I did not enjoy the nachos one bit. Liz's burger was flavorless and her fries were ultra greasy. Trying to track our waitress down for drink refills also proved to be a challenge since she seemed annoyed to have to do her job. We tried to save the whole experience by ordered a caramel apple pie a la mode for dessert. The pie was ultra sour and the caramel was bland. The a la mode was so small it should be called a speck. How can you mess up dessert?This is a place I will never come again for a meal.

After the awful meal we made our way to the bar and our friends started to arrive. We had a fun time and actually had good bar service. I was the DD for the night so Liz could partake in a few Lemon Drop Martinis with the girls.

Favorite Dish: Food is horrible but the bar is good.

Instant Answers: Greenwich