Hartford Restaurants

USS Chowder Pot menu

Most Recent Restaurants in Hartford

• hartford baking co: Always Leave with Bread

by isabel321 Written Sep 18, 2011

Hartford Baking Co, makes its bread fresh everyday, has fresh baked goods, and one of the best cups of coffee in town. The staff is helpful, knowledgeable and personable, and the restaurant itself is a great place to hang out - solo or with a group of friends.

Favorite Dish: The Walnut-Raisin Bread is absolutely incredible, try a Palmier if they're available, and you have to have to sample they're coffee, even if it's just the house brew.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

USS Chowder Pot - Hartford and Branford, CT

by Ewingjr98 Written Aug 22, 2011

The USS Chowder Pot is a great Connecticut seafood restaurant with locations in Hartford and along I-95 in Branford (about 10 miles east of New Haven). We stopped in the Branford location while driving from New Jersey to Rhode Island, as we had been driving for hours in bad traffic, and I needed some food and a break.

We weren't sure what to expect, but the full parking lot reassured us that the meal would be at least OK. We decided to sit outside, and we were the only customers outside at this early dinner hour (later, several other tables filled up).

We started with wine and beer (Sam Adams of course!). For food, we started with fried calamari, which was lightly battered and excellent. For our meals we had a few lobster rolls and the whole-belly clams. The lobster rolls were small, but packed full of huge chunks of delicious lobster meat. The fries were just OK, but I can deal with that after the great lobster and calamari.

Giant lobster claws! USS Chowder Pot menu

• Vito's by the Park: go for the view, and maybe some drinks

by arasnosliw Updated Apr 4, 2011

Decent food, great wine selection, mediocre altogether. That's how I would describe this place. Nothing particularly struck me as unique about it...nothing except for the view. The view of Bushnell Park is gorgeous, especially at night with the city lights illuminating the sky. I tend to go for small, creative restaurants. This was completely the opposite. True, maybe some of you like tried and true Italian fare, but I was hoping for a more exciting menu. Service was great also, so I really shouldn't complain. I am sure many of you would like this place; it's just not my cup of tea.

Favorite Dish: roasted artichokes and goat cheese

• Wine Tasting

• kbsunnyside's Profile Photo

Max Downtown: Lotsa Food

by kbsunnyside Updated Apr 4, 2011

They make the steak the way you ask for it and it's DELICIOUS. You order sides from a list and the portions are huge. The tables and chairs are very comfortable so it's easy to really dine here.

The bar is also a happening spot and they know how to mix a drink. Their specialty is martinis, but I never sampled. They had a good wine selection.

It's not cheap, but for a guaranteed great steak it's a good bet. I think they also have a cigar selection. Luckily I never got caught next to a smoker.

Favorite Dish: I liked the steak au poivre, but the Chilean Sea Bass was always made to perfection. Some companions always had the pork chops. Another dining companion swore by the Steak al La Max that I think somehow has blue cheese involved.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Skipper's Dock, Stonington: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!

by german_eagle Written Oct 17, 2009

Unfortunately I have no photos of this restaurant. We had dinner there on the drive from Long Island to Hartford. Stonington is a pleasant small town right on the coast of CT. The restaurant is right by the water as the name indicates.

It was a bit too cold to sit on their terrace, unfortunately, but it was very charming inside, too. The food was fabulous, the service very good, attentive, quick. I had a delicious soup (clam chowder) and crusted scrod filet for main course. I also tried a local white wine which was very good.

Cafeteria in the State Capitol: For a short break

by german_eagle Updated Oct 17, 2009

We popped into that cafeteria after an interesting but exhausting tour of the State Capitol. We just needed a break. And we were thirsty and hungry. The variety of the food here was not too wide, and what they had didn't look too appealing. We each picked some brownies and a hot chocolate. The brownies were pretty good, the hot chocolate was ok.

cafeteria

First and Last Tavern: Traditional

by german_eagle Written Oct 17, 2009

The drive there alone was again interesting and scenic - we crossed Connecticut river by an old car-ferry, drove backroads to the restaurant.

The food was quite good. We shared a salad, then I had spaghetti with mussels/seafood, the others had pasta with meatballs/sausages in tomato sauce. The service was la-la, but the ambience was nice - rustic, lively, many old photographs on the walls.

entrance main course

• Side Walk Cafe: Good food, decent price

by gcosm271 Written Jan 4, 2009

I stopped in for lunch, service was quick and the menu was good. The place was clean, it's a relaxed bar & grill atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I started off with a sample appetizer's platter- loaded potato skins, chicken fingers & onion rings. Then I had a tasty tomato & basil soup with a chicken wrap. Fresh & tasty- need I say more? They also had the usual burgers & tons of other stuff on the menu.
    Definately going back to try other items.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Vaughan's Public House: Great Irish Pub on Pratt Street in the City Center

by BillNJ Updated Sep 28, 2008

On Pratt Street near the Greater Hartford Welcome Center, I stopped for a beer and an appetizer at Vaughan's Public House. It has a nice decor with a long wooden bar. I stopped in an off-hour between lunch and dinner -- so it was pretty empty.

I enjoyed a glass of Smithwick's with the broiled oyster's appetizer. The menu has many traditional Irish favorites. If you are seeking a nice Irish pub in Hartford, I would highly recommend.

• chirico's Profile Photo

Maine Fish Market Restaurant: Good Food Good Price

by chirico Updated Mar 11, 2007

We had a one night layover in BDL (Hartford) and found the restaurant on Yahoo Maps. Easy to find, less than 5 miles from airport. Food was good and they give you good portions at a fair price. We had appetizers of Lobster Bisque (more like clam chowder) too thick, Lazyman's Lobster (lobster meat in a garlic butter sauce) and Steamed Little Neck Clams (actually Cherrystone) all delicious. The main course was stuffed Swordfish ( crab, scallops, etc) couldn't taste the difference because of the breading. Service was good (we got there about 8:30) end of shift is 9PM so service was good not excellent. I would go back and recommend it to everyone. After hours they have a great bar with a limited food menu, takeout menu and fresh seafood to go. Kids under ten years old should not be in restaurants.

• Always7696's Profile Photo

Skyline Restaurant: Seafood Place Near BDL

by Always7696 Written Dec 18, 2006

This was a restaurant with a bar. The bar was separate from the main dining area and food can be served there.

Favorite Dish: Not a favorite, but what I ordered. Scallops topped with breadcrumbs. Mainly got this due to I like scallops and this dish had a lot of them. Well if you get this eat it fast before it cools down. It gets kinda gross tasting at that point. If I did go back, I would order something different.

• Boca24's Profile Photo

Tatry Polish Restaurant: Great Polish Food in a cozy setting

by Boca24 Written Jul 26, 2005

Its off the beaten path a bit but it is well worth it. Prices are good and the food is fantastic. I have never really been a fan of polish food but I have loved every meal I have eaten here.

Favorite Dish: Don't know the name of it (its in Polish) but its a large Potato pancake with a hungarian gulosh and sour cream on it. FANTASTIC!!!!!

• Boca24's Profile Photo

Moe's Midtown: GREATEST BREAKFAST EVER!!!!

by Boca24 Written Jul 26, 2005

This hole in the wall is not known for its service but the food is fantastic. If you don't look carefully you may not see the resturant. I have never had a bad meal and its cheap as well.

Favorite Dish: My favorite meals include the Pappa Moe which is 2 eggs, toast, sausage and homefries (VERY SPICY!!! but tasty).

You don't want to miss their pancakes, I love their banana pancakes, they pancake sizes are huge.

If I really want to treat myself I will get the french toast

• Ace43's Profile Photo

Gold Roc & Triple A diners: All-night eats

by Ace43 Updated Sep 13, 2004

These are technically not IN Hartford, but they're just outside Hartford, and the only places that are open 24/7.

The Gold Roc is in West Hartford, right off Exit 44 (Prospect St.) off I-84. WB, you come off the highway right next to it. EB, you have to go left at the first light, left at the next light, & then you'll see it just past the WB exit. The driveway is just past the Exxon station. It has a '50s old-car theme.

The Triple A is in East Hartford, at 1209 Main St. (across from Burnside Ave.), a little trickier to find. Take Exit 54 (Governor St.) off I-84. EB or WB comes out to the same place. Right at the light, straight at the next light (slow down, the road's bad right now), to the light at the end, which is Main. St. Turn left, and you'll see it about 1/4 mi. down on the left.

The manager I usually encounter on third shift speaks Spanish (as well as English); one waitress & one manager or owner that I have occasionally run into at night (maybe they're usually on during the day, I don't know) I believe speak Greek (as well as English).

Favorite Dish: I mostly have eaten at the Triple A. I like to get eggs--over easy or scrambled--which come with hash browns (real chunks of potato, not like McDonald's), and a choice of toast (I like their whole wheat). I usually add to that OJ with a little ice, & sometimes finish it off with bread pudding (which you can get with whipped cream, but I get without). It's not that they do anything really special with the eggs, although the over-easy are just the amount of done-ness I like, but A) I've found that breakfast foods are often the safest (best) at diners, and B) I've found the eggs & OJ really keep me going at 3 am! The bread pudding they actually make there; it has raisins in it; it's cool, sweet, moist; the bread becomes mushy with the other ingredients, you don't feel like you're eating a loaf of bread--in fact if they didn't call it bread pudding, you wouldn't know there was any bread in it at all. It's not exactly the way Mom made hers, but it's plenty good enough! (Just don't tell Mom!)

• LowBrow's Profile Photo

Agave Grill: Table-side guacamole

by LowBrow Updated Aug 3, 2004

Smack dab in the heart of downtown Hartford (New England's rising star, don't you know), sits the recently opened Agave Grill. On the weekend, this place is usually packed at night, thanks to the great food and friendly bar. The menu covers the basics, and augments with house specialties.

For me, the bar is the main attraction. They have dozens of varieties of tequila, and several excellent house drinks. My favorite is the Mexican Mojito, which differs from the traditional recipie by substituting basil for mint. They also have a Hibiscus concoction, which isn't quite as sweet. The staff is friendly and knowledgable, and I've yet to have a bad night there.

Favorite Dish: Even when I'm not hungry, I can't pass up the guacamole, which is made fresh right at your table (or at the bar where I'm usually situated.)

Instant Answers: Hartford

Comments

Hartford Restaurants

Bilimari's Profile Photo

You can taste the flavors from around the world in Hartford from German, French, Italian, to Asian and South American dishes as well as great Southern BBQ, New England sea food, and local...