Hartford Transportation

by BillNJ
    by german_eagle

Most Recent Transportation in Hartford

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Don't park your car on the street

by Bilimari Written Jul 17, 2013

Unless it's a marked parking space with a parking meter, I highly suggest not to park a car on the street anywhere in Hartford. The chances are, you'll either get a ticket or your car will be towed.

Note that you can park in the parking spaces with a meter for FREE on Saturdays and Sundays.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Parking Lots and Garages in Hartford

by Bilimari Written Jul 17, 2013

With not great at all local public transportation, you'll need to drive a car to go to just about every where in Hartford, and finding a parking lot or garage can be a challenge.
    The parking on the road can get really tricky, it's best to park your car in a parking lot or garage in the city.

Map shows the location of parking lots and garages in downtown Hartford.
    Price varies from location to location, and also changes during big events.

Ferry from Long Island

by german_eagle Updated Apr 4, 2011

On the ferry

As our friends picked us up on Long Island the best option to get to Hartford/CT was to cross the Long Island Sound. We drove to Orient Point where we took the ferry to New London. Reservation is highly recommended although they run on a frequent schedule, every half hour or so if I recall correctly. The fare was about $60 I think, for a car, driver and 4 more adults.

It was a pleasant ferry trip with beautiful weather, not too long - we saw nice lighthouses, magnificent mansions at the coast, the submarine base, a cruise ship and enjoyed the beautiful sunset.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

The Star Shuttle

by BillNJ Updated Apr 4, 2011

In downtown Hartford, a visitor can easily get around on the free Star Shuttle. In its brochure, it says that it operates approximately every 12 minutes. The first time that I tried to catch it, though, I waited for 45 minutes at one of the stops with no luck! Later, though, I did board it a couple of times -- and it saved me some time. Best of all, the Star Shuttle is free of charge. You can obtain a map of its route at the Greater Hartford Welcome Center or a downtown hotel.

School Bus shuttle

by german_eagle Written Oct 17, 2009

long lines

I never thought I'd ever get a ride in an American school bus. Unexpectedly I got the opportunity when we visited the local Apple Harvest Festival. They had arranged for a shuttle service with those school buses from the parking lot in town to the grounds of the festival. YAY!

These buses reminded me a lot of buses that ran about 30 or so years ago in the East Germany. Very solid, comfy seats, gas guzzling. And the lines were similar also. LOL

Please note the thing that looks like a wire frame on the second picture. I was told that it had happened that little kids ran in front of the bus after getting off and the driver couldn't see them due to the construction of the front part of the bus. They added that wire frame which swings forth and back before the bus starts, making sure there is no kid in danger to be run over.

Rent a car

by german_eagle Written Oct 17, 2009

Driving is the way to get around in Hartford and Connecticut in general, as expected in the U.S. We picked up our car at Bradley Airport, some miles north of the city. Our friends were so generous to give us a ride - the only option to get there.

I had booked a 'premium' car (438 Euro for two weeks incl. insurance) prior to the trip from Germany through TUI and due to our many bags was very glad the friendly lady at the Alamo desk upgraded us to a van (Dodge Grand Traveller). On the other hand, that van was a gas guzzling monster.

It was a bit of an adjustment to drive in the U.S. It was new to me that you can pass cars on any lane (in Germany only on the left lane[s]). And the many highways were simply ... confusing. But I managed.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

TAKE THE BUS

by moiraistyx Written Oct 21, 2008

The time I have ever stopped in Hartford was to transfer to the bus to Danbury on my way home to NY from college. What I do remember about this bus terminal is that at the time I thought it was pretty big and scary. If there is one thing I learned here, is that you cannot be late for your connecting bus cause they will leave you at the gate holding your bags.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Many Public Parking Lots and Garages

by BillNJ Written Sep 28, 2008

I have provided a link to a map of the many public parking lots and garages in downtown Hartford. Upon the advice of my hotel, I parked at the Talcott Plaza Garage on Talcott Street which is conveniently located near the entrance onto Route 91.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Bradley - BDL

by cjg1 Written Jan 7, 2007

Although technically in Windsor Locks north of the city on 91, this is the local major airport for Hartford. I used to use this place a lot back in the day flying SouthWest because at the time it was the closest place to NY I could fly them and also had semi local friends that I could visit before or after flights.

Anymore now that I've switched to the majors for the benefits in their international routes I rarely fly from here. Although do still use it as a departure point for mileage runs if they're so much cheaper the drive is worth it.

• Ace43's Profile Photo

Where to find bus info & cabs

by Ace43 Written Sep 8, 2004

Where the cabs line up at the train/bus station

The main kiosk for getting bus routes & schedules is next to the Old State House on the north side. That general area around the Old State House, the Traveler's tower, and the Gold Building is also a central hub for the buses, where you can probably get your bus to anywhere & where you often have to do any changes between buses.

There is a cab stand right across from the Old State House, and another one at the train/bus station in the block bordered by Asylum St., Spruce St., Church St., & Union Place. It's often easiest to get a cab by calling for one--just ask the front desk at your hotel.

If you're going to drive, & you're here for more than a couple of days, get a map. These old cities' streets aren't neat & straight & laid out on a numbered grid, but developed kind of haphazard. Also watch out for streets that change direction for a few hours during rush hours; there aren't many, the main area that might be confusing at morning rush hour is between the Old State House and the Founders Bridge. Also, don't drive too fast--there are crazy drivers and bad road conditions in Hartford!

• Ace43's Profile Photo

Don't be fooled by "Hartford" designation

by Ace43 Written Sep 8, 2004

Don't be fooled by Bradley Airport and some hotels calling their location "Hartford." Bradley is actually in Windsor Locks, halfway between Hartford, CT & Springfield, MA, about 20 min. north of Hartford. Many of the hotels in Windsor (between Hartford & Windsor Locks) and Windsor Locks call their location "Hartford." Most of them also have shuttle buses, but just so you're aware you're NOT walking distance to downtown Hartford! (e.g. Cab fare from Bradley to Hartford is $28.)

Also be aware that there are many hotels in the Marriott family in the area, so be sure you know the exact name & location of yours!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Not a Bad Flight

by Bwana_Brown Written Jun 28, 2003

One thing about the Beechcraft 1900D is that it has quite a bit of headroom for a small aircraft. The other nice thing about flying a smaller propeller-driven craft is that it flies relatively low. As we approached Hartford, I really enjoyed the view of the rolling forest covered hills dotted with many lakes and rivers. The Connecticut countryside really looked like a lush landscape on a sunny late-afternoon in June!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Hang Onto Your Seat

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jun 28, 2003

Had an interesting experience on the way down to Hartford, from Fredericton, NB via Montreal on Air Canada. After arriving in Montreal, I had an almost 4 hour wait for the small twin-prop Beechcraft 1900 aircraft that would take its 20 passengers to Hartford (Bradley International). Suddenly, about 25 minutes before the departure time, the Air Canada rep at the counter announced that the flight was overbooked and he would need 2 passengers to volunteer to take a later flight via Toronto (with a Cad $200 travel voucher as further compensation). He also mentioned that, if there were no volunteers, the flight would be cancelled and we would all have to scramble to re-book whatever we needed! Never being one to sweat the small stuff, I said to myself, let them sort it out - I've already been here for 4 hours! Sure enough, nobody volunteered - so we were told that the flight was cancelled. A few minutes later, a couple stood up to say that they would take the offer - we were airborne again! Nevertheless, I thought that it was quite crude treatment from the airline!

• Business Travel

• Bradley International Airport (BDL)

by gman83 Written Jun 8, 2003

Hartford area major airport

Unlike big city airports in the Northeast, Bradley is easy to locate and easy to access. That's why more and more people who are looking for hassle-free air travel are turning to Bradley International, which is quickly approaching its goal of completing major projects that are part of the $200 million modernization project that began in April 2000.
    Bradley lands you in the middle of north central Connecticut, where a full menu of attractions is within easy driving distance. Further proof that Bradley is the ideal gateway to and from anywhere in New England.
    It is surrounded by major hotels, all within minutes. Most provide courtesy van service to and from the Airport terminal. Regardless of where you choose to stay, each hotel stands ready to assist you in whatever lodging requirements you may have.
    Taxis, rental cars, and limousines are available. There is also local city bus service (CTTransit N3, N5, and Bradley Flyer routes) between the airport and the downtown Hartford bus hub.
    Connecticut has venues of every type and size necessary to stage a business meeting or trade event. Adriaen's Landing, a state of the art convention center just 20 minutes away in Hartford, is slated for 2005 completion. Look farther across Connecticut and you'll find world-class casinos, not to mention a variety of towns and cities, each with its own menu of options for hosting gatherings of any size.

• Avoid Rush Hour Use I-291 as Beltway around City

by branchfan21 Written Jan 23, 2003

Avoid Rush Hour on I-91 from Exit 34-Exit 20 from 7-9am and I-84 From 4-6pm. Use I-291 from I-84West if looking for a quicker route to Springfield,MA so you avoid the whole I-91-84 merge. Use the Charter Oak Bridge exit CT 15 as a short cut from I-84 west to I-91 South. Avoid Asylum Avenue from 4-6pm in the afternoon on work days the traffic is one way exiting the city.

Instant Answers: Hartford

Comments

Hartford Transportation

Bilimari's Profile Photo

You can access to Hartford via air (Bradly International Airport), long distance buses, trains, and cars. In the city centre, there are many public parkings that are easily...