Ivoryton Travel Guide

Ivoryton Things to Do

• by Ultranothing Written Aug 19, 2007

The Ivoryton Tavern is a place where once a great deal of Ivoryton residents were concieved after nights of boozing. Now, however, they've begun an attempt to "clean up" the tavern to cater to the more prominent members of the area. What was once (and to those who know, always will be) a biker bar, has now gotten it's assortment of model ships, buoys, boating/fishing decorations and historical memorobilia plastered on the walls so that when the uppities from out of town who come see the shows at the Playhouse leave the theater and wander over to the bar, they'll feel more at home.

But that's the thing about the Tavern - No matter where you're from or who you are, the Tavern will always feel like home.

And they have the coldest beer in the country, that's a fact!

The Ivoryton Playhouse was built in 1908 as an employee recreation hall, and would probably have been demolished long ago, but for its chance encounter with a remarkable man named Milton Stiefel. Stiefel was an actor who eventually became the right hand and confidant of David Belasco, considered one of the greatest directors produced by the American Theatre. After Belasco's death, Stiefel continued as manager and stage director for many extravagant shows which traveled nationally, playing in every major American city. At the end of one of these tours, Stiefel came to Essex in order to rest, saw the unused recreation hall and knew it would be perfect for a resident stock company. Broken Dishes had just closed in New York (reportedly with Bette Davis in her first Broadway role), and Stiefel opened it in Ivoryton during the week of June 17, 1930. Thus the Ivoryton Playhouse came to be.

Ivoryton Hotels

Ivoryton Restaurants

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

by msbrandysue Updated Sep 22, 2010

I ate at Brasserie Pip while staying at the Copper Beecher Inn, which it is apart of. I made reservations but didn't need to on a Tuesday night. I ordered a cocktail and sipped on it. I couldn't find anything I really wanted so I ordered the scallops, which I had never had before. Now, after watching hours of Hell's Kitchen, I really do crave the scallops.

The waiter was really nice. It was a quiet place. I read a book while waiting for my meal. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience.

I think it'd be super fun for a romantic dinner or Girls Night Out. A bit pricey but worth it sometimes, you know?

One of only two restaurants in Connecticut to hold both a 2010 AAA Four-Diamond rating and Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence" for 2010.

Favorite Dish: I had the scallops and I actually didn't LOVE them the night of. But now that I'm thousands of miles away, I miss them and crave them passionately!!

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Ivoryton

Comments

Ivoryton Travel Guide
Map of Ivoryton