Mayberry Village Local Customs

• Tooker's Profile Photo

Nostalgia - Do You Remember

by Tooker Updated Mar 13, 2011
    Community Building (today)

The scarey Friday Night Movies, that were held at the Community Building. ( The Mummy), etc.

The SandLot Football Games that were played on the lot between the Community Building and Cannon Road.

The Basketball Games that were held inside the Community Building. We had a team called THE DUKES. Jim Callagher was our coach.

The Fire Trucks that were located in the Basement of the Community Building, on the Woodlawn Circle Side.

The Ice Skating we used to do, on the Cove behind my house at 46 Woodlawn. The fires we built to keep warm. The Hockey Games.
    I remember one day Richard Sharlacken, Billy Pomburg and Myself, fell through the Ice. Rich got out and went home and left Billy and Me there. I managed to get out, but the Firemen came and pulled Pomberg out.

The Sled Riding that we did at Labor Field. The Angels we made in the snow. And the names the Guys made in the snow, (using their special pens.)

Remember choosing up Teams to Play Baseball at Labor Field.

The Vegetable Gardens that were assigned the to the Village tenants, at the bottom of Labor Field, near the Hockanum River.
    There were also Gardens in the New Village, near the Hockanum River also.

How about The Canyon, which was located about 200 yards beyond the end of Cannon Road. When route 84 was built, the Canyon disappeared.

Remember the Coal Men that used to come with the bags of Coal, and empty them into our Coalbins.

Three Jerks It was appx: 1950 or so, Pat Martin, Ronnie McGlocklin, and myself. Were messing around down the lake, by the new village. Pat accidently shot Ronnie in the toe, with a 22-pistol. (I don't remember where we got it from). He recovered.

Ronnie Durler's Pants Always falling down in the back. He did not realize that he was setting the trend for the 2000's.

• Tooker's Profile Photo

Nostalgia - Do You Remember- continued

by Tooker Updated Jun 7, 2003
    Cannon Store (today)

The Milkman Mike Lata, who used to come around with his Truck to deliver Milk and Cream, and leave it in our milk Boxes. The Milk bottles used to have cream at the top 2 inches, and you had to shake the bottle.

The Bakery Truck that used to come around, selling Bread and Douhnuts. The Guy would come to the house carrying a Cart like a baby carriage, with all the stuff to pick from.

The Rubbish Truck that used to come around with the guys to pick up the Rubbish.

The trips we used to make to Cannon Store, for our Mother.

The GoodHumer Ice Cream Truck Driver Gingling the Bells. I remember Mom giving us money and we would run out to the truck.

The FireWorks Display everyone went to at Burnside Park, on the 4th of July. We used to ride our bicycles up through Manchester to Bolton, to buy Fireworks, I don't remember where we got the money. Or you could stay home and watch Lendall Cleveland's Personal Display.

The East Hartford Dovelette's Softball Team. Some of our Father's used to play on this team.

Remember Bebe Martins 1956 Red Ford Victoria Convertible.

How about Charlie Major's 1934 Ford Convertible Coupe, which had a Rumble Seat that opened up in the back.

I'll think of more.

Instant Answers: Mayberry Village

Comments

Mayberry Village Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Mayberry Village local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mayberry Village sightseeing.

View all Mayberry Village hotels