Milford Restaurants

Mushroom Pizza
    by cjg1
    Enjoying some time at the bar after work
    BBQ Chicken Pizza

Most Recent Restaurants in Milford

Colony Grill: Good Pizza

by cjg1 Updated Jan 23, 2015

The Colony Grill is a local joint located in the heart of the town of MIlford right off the green. This is one of three locations in Connecticut; the other two being in Stamford and Fairfield. The Stamford location is the flagship and was started in the 1930's;since then it has become an institution famous for their pizza.

This particular location was recommended to us by a friend is is very close to our home so we decided to try it out one rainy Sunday. The location is conveniently in the heart of the town with ample parking in the area. The restaurant itself is quite large with a big bar area and dining room. The interior is very nice with hard wood accents; plenty of tables and booths.

The menu here is very simple; it's pizza. Pick a twelve inch pie and choose your toppings for an additional $1.50 per topping. Toppings are: pepperoni, mushroom, sausage, peppers, hot oil, meatball, onions, black olives, cherry peppers, stingers, anchovies and bacon. They also do a breakfast pizza before 3pm.

Our first visit we decided to have their twelve inch pie with pepperoni slong with two unsweetened iced teas. The pizza here is thin crust style and is baked in a pan which gives it a super crispy crust. Pizza arrives tableside hot and fast and is rather tasty. Service here is spot on and very friendly. I like that this is a cozy, casual atmosphere mostly filled with locals. It's the perfect place to grab a bite to eat and some drinks. I'm glad we tried this place out and can't wait to return.

**We recently returned for a bite to eat and some drinks after work. This time we tried a mushroom pizza which was very tasty but I think I prefer the pepperoni so far. Eventually we will make it through all the topping offering on the menu to have a good evaluation of which we prefer best.**

Favorite Dish: The thin crust pizza is quite good. We are New Yorkers and can be snobs about our pizza and this one is pretty good for non- NY pizza.

The pepperoni pizza is quite nice with large, thin slices of pepperoni on top.

Pepperoni Pizza(January 2015) Eagerly waiting our pizza My wife enjoying a new place The Pizza Offerings on the wall Mushroom Pizza

Chip's: Incredibly Good Pancakes

by cjg1 Updated Jan 22, 2015

Chips is hands down our favorite place to have a good pancake meal at any time of the day (they serve brekfast all day long). The restaurant is located right on Boston Post Road so it is an easy on off of I-95 to stop for a tasty meal; especially if you are passing through the area on I-95. We live in the area so you can usually find us here on a Sunday morning enjoying a good, filling breakfast. Chips is a family owned establishment with several locations throughout Connecticut. We have eaten at this location as well as their Fairfield location.

The menu here has a large selection of breakfast, lunch and dinner items but their main focus is their pancakes. The pancakes have been voted the Best of Connecticut for the past three years;so that has to tell you something plus the place is always jamming. We come here for the pancakes mostly. I have eaten their hash and several different egg sandwiches.

The pancakes here are very light and fluffy; I could eat heaps. They have a variety of toppings,flavor and types of batter (whole wheat, sweat potato and buttermilk). Personally I enjoy the German Apple Pancakes and the Strawberry Pancakes. My wife on the other hand is a lover of all things Cinnamon so she usually orders their buttermilk pancakes with Cinnamon chips or their Cinnamon Bun Pancakes.. As for sides; there is hardly room for eating any hash browns, bacon and sausage after you've had pancakes but we have on occasion split an order of their tasty bacon.

My wife does not like the fake maple syrup that is prevalent in most pancake restaurants and thankfully their have real maple syrup available here for a charge of course. If the fake stuff is okay with you they have an assortment of flavors such as blueberry and strawberry syrups.

Basically, if you are a pancake fan...this is the place for you. Excellent pancakes and good service. I love this place!

Favorite Dish: I've loved every pancake I have tried here. I would have to say the German Apple takes the top slot with the sliced apples cooked inside the pancakes, topped with cinnamon & powdered sugar, served with a raspberry puree sauce. The raspberry sauce is so good.

Pancakes here are a good price with a stack ranging between $6-$10 depending on toppings.

German Apple Pancakes (6/3/12) Cinnamon Chip Pancakes & Bacon My wife checking out the pancake offerings Iced Tea Yeah, I am excited about pancakes

Mama Teresa's: Terrific Food and Large Portions

by cjg1 Updated Jan 22, 2015

A friend of ours first recomended Mama Teresa's and since our first visit we have been hooked. It's a casual family style Italian restaurant. No frills with tables and booths you enter and seat yourself. The menus are already on the table when you have a seat.
    The menu is quite extensive with pizza, sandwich, pasta, meat, chicken,fish and appetizer choices.

On our first visit here, Liz ordered the gnocchi with marinara sauce and I ordered the Tortellini Alfredo. Both meals came with a huge salad and a basket of warm italian bread. When are meals were served the portions were huge. We both barely ate 6 bites of our entree and we were full. The waitress was very nice and wrapped our food to go.

The food here is always execellent and the portions huge. This is one of our favorite and we enjoy coming here as a couple or with friends.

**Mon-Saturday there is a lunch specials menu until 3pm.**

Favorite Dish: The Tortellini Alfredo is quite nice...even re-heated the next day it is still excellent. The penne vodka here is also good. Liz loves their gnocchi in marinara sauce and their cheese ravioli with vodka sauce.

The best seafood ravioli I have ever eaten is served at Mama Theresa's. The ravioli are stuffed with shrimp, crab and lobster and served with a vodka sauce. The ravioli were out of this world good and the sauce was excellent. It's normally on the specials menu but the waitress has informed us that we can request it any time.

Tortellini Alfredo Clowning around.... My girl smiling Gnocchi Marinara Seafood Ravioli with Vodka Sauce
    • Disabilities

Lao Sze Chung: Delicious and Authentic

by cjg1 Updated Jan 7, 2015

Hands down this is my favorite Chinese restaurant in the area. My wife and I first discovered this place after a co-worker of hers suggested we try it out. The restaurant is located in a small strip mall on the Post Road in Milford. The interior is a nice size with plenty of tables throughout; even some for large parties of more than ten people.

The menu here is quite extensive and full of speciality items that your run of the mill Chinese restuarant probably doesn't carry such as Jelly fish, pork ear and rabbit. The food here is amazingly fresh and delicious without breaking the bank. I am always impressed at the freshness and tenderness of their noodles; it is unlike any place I have been in the states.

My wife and I often come here for a casual meal or order some take out during the week if we don't want to cook at home. Some of our favorite dishes are the House Fried Rice; steamed pork dumplings, Salt & Pepper Prawns, Eel, Shrimp Lo mein and their baby squid.

Favorite Dish: The House Fried Rice is always a big favorite of mine. I love the rice and vegetables. The shrimp, chicken and pork in the dish are so flavorful and fresh. It really is hard to order anything different when this is so delicious to me. My wife loves their Salt & Pepper Prawns.

Pork Dumpling House Special Fried Rice Shrimp Lo Mein

SBC .: Decent Sports Bar and Grill

by cjg1 Updated Jan 7, 2015

This is a place I've been a couple of times. Some just for drinks. Some for food. The place is right by the river so if you are sitting at a booth you can look down into the river and the foliage. SBC is more of a hangout/sportsbar type of place that has outdoor seating in the summer. SBC also makes their own beer here too and have a wide variety of drinks and bar food available.

They have a good selection of beers here as well as the usual drinks. The menu is full of pub grub along with some specialties such as their Lamb Burger. I enjoy their lamb burger as well as some of their appetizers such as thei pretzels. My wife really enjoys their french onion soup. They have a good dessert item; a choclate chip cookie ice cream sandwich which is quite good and perfect for sharing. Service here can be hit or miss as well as the food quality.

This location is rather on the small side so it can get rather packed and way too loud especially on weekends or during sporting events. SBC has several locations throughout Connecticut; this one is the closest to us but we prefer their Branford location.

January 6, 2008
    • Singles

Cabo (Formerly Cancun Charlie's): Good food and excellent drinks

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 9, 2014

Right in front of the Milford Landing is this Mexican restaurant with a really nice patio overlooking the river. The restaurant is quite nice especially on a beautiful warm sunny afternoon when you can enjoy the outdoor patio. We were just enjoying a nice day when we decided to stop in for a drink and possibly a bit to eat. We entered the restaurant from the back patio and decided to sit outside and enjoy the nice day. There is also a decent size bar as well as a nice size dinning area to take your meal if you aren't inclined to sitting outside.

As we were seated we were brought a nice size bowl of chips with salsa for dipping and our drink order was taken. We both weren't ready to order anything to eat and decided to just enjoy the chips and our drinks and order something later on.

I decided to try their Strawberry Margarita that the waiter recommended and Ferni decided he wanted to stick to his Heinekin. We got to talking and enjoying our drinks that we never did order anything to eat, but we did see some really yummy choices on the menu and on the tables of the other diners. They have your typical Mexican dishes and they even make their guacamole fresh. So, we hope to come back and grab a bit to eat some other time.

Favorite Dish: We decided to have dinner some where else and just enjoyed some of their yummy drinks. I had a Strawberry Margarita and Ferni had his Heinekins.

Yum, this Strawberry Margarita is so good! Everyone outside enjoying the beautiful weather The view of the outdoor patio from Milford Landing

Athenian Diner III: Typical Diner Food

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 9, 2014

This is your typical diner serving all the typical types of food you will find in all diners. They have all day breakfast items, hot and cold sandwiches, pastas, and an assortment of other dishes to pick from. The menu is quite extensive. This particular diner is located off of I-95 at exit 39 which can make it an easy place to stop and grab something to eat, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. It was a easy place to grab a bit before heading home.

We had spent the night in Milford and before heading home on a Sunday late morning, we decided to stop here because of it's close proximately to the highway. We arrived late morning and we were glad that the parking lot wasn't too crowded so I knew we wouldn't wait much to be seated.

As soon as we entered we were seated at a nice booth and handed our menus by our waitress. Ferni and I called her "Speedy" on the account she was racing all over the restaurant to every one of her tables. The restaurant is pretty big with the 1950's type decor of stainless steel, blue booths and large windows.

Ferni decided he wanted breakfast and ordered French toast which came with two packs of syrup and a side of bacon. I didn't want any breakfast and ordered what I usually order in a diner when I don't order breakfast, a grilled mozzarella sandwich with a side of fries. We each ordered a Pepsi, I had mine with a lemon.

The service was quite fast and the food was okay, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here especially with a better diners in close proximaty. Refills are not free.

Favorite Dish: I had a grilled mozzarella sandwich with a side of fries and Ferni had the French Toast with a side of bacon. Ferni said the French Toast was okay.

French Toast Waiting for my sandwich Grilled mozzarella sandwich Sides of fries and bacon

Kimberly Diner: Our choice for good Diner Food

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 9, 2014

We enjoy coming to this dinner. The place is very small but the service and the waitress (Dahrling, I love you today) is so great, she brings a smile to anyone's face!!

The food here has been consistently good and we have never had an issue with anything we order. We usually come by for breakfast, but Ferni has had their burger and said it was quite good.

The place gets very crowded and the prices are good, so it's our pick of diners to come to.

Favorite Dish: I've had their Texas French Toast which was quite good with yummy maple syrup, the eggs over with bacon and I love their home fries. Ferni usually has the scrambled eggs with bacon and toast.

My omellete with fries and toast Bacon cheesburger with fries Waiting for my food Texas French Toast Interior of the diner
    • Festivals

Mama Teresa's: When you want some really good inexpensive Italian

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 9, 2014

This restaurant is located on the very busy Boston Post Road and we have had a few good meals here.

The restaurant is a nice size with large and medium size booths. If you come during off time you can choose your own seat but during a busy Friday or Saturday night you have to wait to be seated. As you enter the restaurant there is a counter where you can order your meal to go. The restaurant has much of the familiar Italian favorites like pastas, chicken and meat dishes, nice appetizers and some really yummy pizza. Prices are very good for the amount of food you get and most of the time you will probably take a "doggie bag" with you back home.

We like to try new places, but many times we like going to a familar place to eat, especially if the food has been consistently good. We have been here many times, but during our last visit here found the food to be a bit below the usual standard. For whatever reason it may be, whether it was our choice of dish or the cook or a different ingredient, we weren't too happy with our food.

We hope this was just a strange day off since our prior dishes were quite good. I would give this place one more chance, hopefully I won't be dissappointed again.

Favorite Dish: During our first visit here we ordered the Special Pizza to share, the pizza comes with sausage, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms and peppers. We really enjoyed the pizza and thought it was quite good.

On our next visit I ordered the Boston Stuffed Clams, yum, the Seafood Ravioli, which was very good and Ferni had the Chicken Parmigana with pasta.

Our last visit here I ordered the Tortellini Alfredo and the cheese was simply awful, I left the whole meal after two bites. Ferni ordered some chicken strips with a side of fries since he didn't want pasta and the chicken was dry and gummy, the fries were okay...

Getting ready to order Baked Clams Seafood Raviloi Chicken parm with pasta Tortelini Alfredo

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

SBC: Good food and drinks too!

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 9, 2014

Ferni and I enjoy coming here. We like their friendly atmosphere, wide selection of drinks and beers and their food is quite good too!!

We usually find ourselves here on either a Friday or Saturday night, although we have been here during a Saturday as well as Sunday afternoon, and although it can get crowded, we never feel like its too much. Our favorite spot is always at the bar where Stacy and the other bar maids take good care of us.

The selection of dishes is quite varied and I would say suprisingly good for the type of place this is (a franchise).

Every dish we have ordered has always been good and satisfying and as a bonus this place is still an AA IDine :), double that with the SBC VIP card (for every $10 spent you get $1, or 10% of your bill) and you get a really good bargain.

Whenever we are anywhere near the area, we make it a point to stop in and enjoy a few drinks, excellent food and hanging with some new friends, since many are regulars and I guess where are as well!

Favorite Dish: Ferni and I usually order from the appetizer menu, as there are so many yummy choices and more than enough to satisfy anyone. We have ordered their calamari which comes with two nice dipping sauces, the chicken strips which are juicy and come with tasty dipping sauces, chicken bites (Ferni's favorite), the tasty and juicy burgers, the steak tips (wow, this was great), the teriyaki dumplings, yum, yum, yum, again, the B/M Mixed Grill which was a special and quite excellent too!! This was a combination of grilled chicken breast, steak, a few shrimp, and mashed ($17.99)....wow, really good!!

Prices are great, ranging from $5.99-$9.99 for the appetizers and burgers. Anything you order from their menu is good and we have never been dissapointed with any of our selection of food!!

They also have a great Sunday Brunch with a really nice selection of dishes.

Delicious juicy burger Calamari Chicken bites Yummy beef tips! Sechuan Dumplings

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Black Bear Saloon: All Bears are not created equal!

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 9, 2014

Ferni and I have frequented the Black Bear Saloon in Norwalk many times and during our shopping jaunts here in Milford decided to check this location out. While quite large with plenty of tvs, tables and a nice bar, we found that the location in Norwalk to be consistently better with service, food and crowd.

We used this location a few times while driving North on I-95 when Ferni was craving some bear bites. We figured that since its convenient to the interstate, we'd stop here instead of the one in Norwalk. We do prefer the location in Norwalk.

The bar/restuarant is quite large, with a very large bar, tables and booths with their own tvs scattered all over. They have a "game" area where you can find a few video games, a stage where they have live bands and a private dinning area as well. It can get quite croweded depending on time of day, espeically on a Friday or Saturday evening and there may be a wait to be seated.

The few times we have had food here it didn't impress us. The Bear Bites, chucks of chicken, wheren't as good as we've had. The Mexican dip (can't remember the actual name), a cheese based dip with chorizo and spices accompanied by potato wedges and pita slices was just okay.

Service here was another story. During our first visit, the waitress kept interrupting us and asking about the food, etc., which we found quite annoying, she also cleared our dishes quickly and came over with our check and waited around for payment, I didn't like the feeling of being rushed and wasn't sure if it was due to the fact of a schedule-shift.

We have since returned a few times on a Sunday to watch a game, but the bar was way too crowded and we decided to sit at a booth. Service was much better. Ferni decided to stike to soda this time and I ordered my Blue Moon, we also decided to order the mozzerella sticks which were good.

Favorite Dish: During our first visit, Ferni ordered his bear bites and fries which he said he was a bit dissappointed with, the chicken wasn't as juicy and favorful as others he's had. I had the the Mexican cheese dip which was just okay.

The few times after we have stuck to the mozzarella sticks as well as just a side of fries and our drinks.

Bear bits Dip with pita chips and potato wedges Smile even if the food is just okay Couple of pictures hanging on the wall

Wood n Tap: Good Pub Grub

by cjg1 Updated Dec 8, 2014

Wood n Tap is one of our favorite local places for Happy Hour. They have amazing Happy Hour specials on drinks and appetizers. My wife and I often come here after a long day at work for a drink and some of their tasty appetizers.

The place is quite large with a large seperate dining room and a huge bar area with high pub tables and booths. The food here is typical pub grub but it's all so excellent; we are always happy here. Our favorite bartended David alwys keeps the conversation fun and is so attentive.

Our favorite appetizers are the calamari, nachos and their BBQ Chicken pizza. These are only$6 during Happy Hour and are large portions. Their burgers and steaks are also very good but we usually just come for Happy Hour unless we are with family.

Favorite Dish: The BBQ Chicken Pizza is a favorite of mine. it's a large portion filled with spicy BBQ chicken and tasty toppings. Their calamari here is always so tender and come with a spicy aioli for dipping which is very yum. They have seasonal menus and their Fall menu has a schnitzel that was amazingly good.

Enjoying some time at the bar after work BBQ Chicken Pizza Calamari

Bertucci's: Good Pizza and Warm Bread

by cjg1 Updated Dec 2, 2014

Yes, Bertucci's is a chain but one exceeds expectations. No matter what Bertucci's we have visited we have always had good, quality food and service. We have visited this location in Milford several times for lunch as well as dinner. I realy do enjoy their pizza dn those warm, fresh rolls they serve with seasoned olive oil for dipping. If you are here for lunch they include a large salad bowl with your meal with a choice of house italian, oil and vinegar or balsamic dressing.

This location is large and located in a shopping plaza right on Route 1. There is a bar area with seating as well as the main dining area. The kitchen is in the back of the restaurant and is open so you can see what's going on. The fragrant smells of pizza and pasta cooking drifts from the kitchen and makes you long for your food.

The food here is always good and a a price that doesn't break the bank. If you come during lunch, a salad is automatically included with your pizza. It can get crowded here on weekend nights so try to get there for an early dinner/late lunch to avoid a wait. For the most part, I think this is some of the best pizza in the area unless you want to drive to New Haven for some Frank Pepe's.

Favorite Dish: We normally get the Margherita pizza which is quite nice with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. The crust is thin and crispy just how I like it. The warm rolls are great, we always finish the basket. Their salad is always a great way to start off lunch. It's full of letuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, clack olives and red onion...yum. We prefer their house italian dressing to their other offerings and love the tasty zing.

Liz Perusing the menu Olive oil for dipping Liz and her tasty slice Margherita Pizza Mussels in White Wine

Black Bear Saloon(CLOSED): Good Drinks & Bar Food

by cjg1 Updated Sep 17, 2013

The Black Bear is a nice bar/restaurant right in the Westfield Shopping Center in Milford (there are other locations in Stamford, Norwalk, White Plains that we have visited). We are often in Milford visiting friends, cathching a movie or passing through on a roadtrip and the Black Bear is a nice place to grab a snack, meal, dessert or just a drink. The place itself is a nice size and I prefer to sit and the bar and relax or one of the tables in tha vicinity of the bar. The menu has the usual pub grub food and I really enjoy the sliders, wings and their spinach and artichoke dip. The crowd here is pretty tame unless it's a Yankee/Redsox game or a Patriot/Giants game...then get ready for the rowdy people to get going.

The service here can vary depending on the crowd level and where you are seated. When we sit at the bar, the service is spot on. If we sit at a table or booth in the vicinity of the bar, the service is good. When we have been seated in the back of the restaurant furthest from the main entrance; the service has been so so. So we try to request a table in the front or have a seat at the bar if there are seats available.

Favorite Dish: The Spinach & Artichoke dip is quite nice and both Liz and I look forward to it when we come here. It's a large crock full of dip with chips, pita bread and garlic bread for dipping. The sliders here are very good as well with a nice side of onion rings. The BBQ wings are very good and I like them with some extra bleu cheese when I order the spicy ones. Liz enjoys their mozzarella sticks as well.

Desserts here are good and I really enjoy their Lava cake. Warm and gooey chocolate center makes it an awesome treat. Liz enjoys their apple crisp and I must admit it is rather good but I prefer my lava cake.

Mixed drinks here are nice potions and the Margaritas are good (not as good as Margaritaville or Poco's in Portsmouth) but good.

Spinach Dip with chips and bread Enjoying a snack with my girl My girl enjoying a quick bite & a drink Margarita with Salt & Iced Tea Sliders & Onion Rings

Orange Ale House Bar & Grill: Good Local Pub

by cjg1 Updated Jan 17, 2012

The Orange Ale House is a bar/restaurant located on the busy shopping strip of Route 1. It is a small place located in a strip mall next to Game Stop. A friend of ours who lives locally recommended the place to us as a good pub grub spot; so we decided to try it out when we were in the area.

The place is small yet has plenty of seats at the bar as well as pub tables along the wall. We decided to have a seat at one of the pub tables; the bar area was pretty crowded with patrons watching basketball and football on the televisions. The waitress was quick to come over and hand us some menus as well as take our drink orders.

The menu is very extensive with many pages of appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, entrees, salads and wraps. They had everything from the typical pub grub wings and nachos to more substantial items such as a full Lobster dinner.

I wasn’t incredibly hungry so I chose to have an order of the Ale House Wings in their Buffalo sauce along with a Miller Lite. My wife was hungry and looking for something filling so she chose the Ale House Cheeseburger with onion rings and cole slaw along with a Club Soda with Lime. I was impressed that they make their own burger patties on site and offer many side options such as sweet potato fries, waffle fries, French fries, onion rings, gravy cheese fries, cole slaw and macaroni salad.

Our food arrived about 15 minutes after ordering and looked pretty good. My wings were good; nothing spectacular but good. My wife on the other hand loved her cheeseburger. She raved about how juicy it was and the tastiness of the bun. Her onion rings were a bit of a disappointment with a bland batter. Service was very good and friendly. Refills of my wife’s soda appeared without need of asking..very nice.

All in all; I liked the vibe of the place, the friendliness, the service and the menu selection. We will definitely return again. Bonus: this place is an AA I-Dine.

The Bar has a variety of specials each night:
    Happy hour is 4-7pm Monday-Friday with reduced drink prices & free pizza at 4pm.

Monday-Wednesday $2.00 premium bottled beer 4-6pm.

Sunday & Monday restaurant, bar and hospitality employees get 20% off the tab.

Tuesdays: Police, firefighters, EMTs, hospital staff and military personnel get 15% off the tab. $2.00 Hook & Ladder Beer. All you can eat Buffalo wings 8-10pm for $4.99.

Wednesday: 2.00 Shock Top Drafts during Happy Hour 4-7pm. 2 for 1 drink specials starting at 8pm.

Fridays: happy hour buffet 5-7pm / free pizza on the bar at 3pm. Karaoke. $4 aluminum bottles, vodka bombs & Jager shots all night.

Saturdays: $4.00 Martinis 9-11pm

Cheeseburger & Onion Rings Wings Miller Lite here

Instant Answers: Milford

Comments

Milford Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Milford restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Milford sightseeing.