Mystic Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Mystic

Equinox Diner: Good Diner Food

by cjg1 Updated May 29, 2012

The Equinox Diner is a good stop to grab a bit to eat when passing through Mystic on the way North or South or if you are visiting Mystic for the day. It is located right off of I-95; so it is a quick hop off/on for travelers. The diner is relatively new and is a large space. Inside the diner there are many booths and tables in funky shades of blue, green and yellow...it does feel like an old school diner.

The menu has the typical diner fare with some interesting blue plate specials. Our first trip here was for breakfast. We were seated rather quickly at a nice booth and handed menus. I knew I wanted a hot chocolate and Liz had a club soda with lime. It was tough to decide what I wanted but I eventually decided to have the Eggs Benedict. Liz decided to have the Belgian Waffles with Cinamon Apples. Our food came in record time and the portions were plentiful. I loved my eggs and enjoyed the Hollandaise sauce. Liz loved her waffled and finished the whole thing. The food here is good and the service was spot on.

We usually come here for breakfast but on occasion it is a later meal when headed south to home after a roadtrip. Our most recent meal here was Memorial Day weekend heading back home. I enjoyed a Gyro plate while my wife had a bagel and cream cheese; got to love the breakfast anytime option.

Favorite Dish: The Eggs Benedict was very good.

• Disabilities

The Ground Round(CLOSED): A Pit Stop for some Food

by cjg1 Updated May 29, 2012

The Ground Round is a guilty pleasure for us when we are visiting Mystic or passing through on a roadtrip. The Ground Round is a chain of restaurants that are slowly dying out across the country. The place is atached to a hotel and is actulayy quite large. Ther is a large dining area as well as a bar with booths. The menu here consists of burgers, appetizers, sandwiches, salads, desserts and entrees. It's one of those family friendly type chain restaurants.

The service here as always been excellent and friendly. We enjoy sitting in the bar area so we can catch up on some sport scores and avoid the "children" in the dining room. The burgers here are crap so don't order them. The spinach artichoke dip here is excellent and makes a perfect snack when passing through or if you're not in need of a full meal. The artichoke dip is incredible...I would say top three in my book. It is a nice sized protion and is served with plenty of tortilla chips for dipping. Our favorite item from the Ground Round is their Cinnamon Dippers for dessert. The Cinnamon Dippers are fried dough sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Chocolate sauce and some sort of icing are served on the side for dipping. The dippers are unbelievable good....and we always finish every dipper on the plate.
    The beer selection here isn't half bad and they make a good margarita.

It's definitely one of our guilty pleasures stops when we are in the area.

Favorite Dish: The artichoke spinach dip and the Cinnamon dippers are our favorites.

• Disabilities

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Go Fish: Seafood Disneyland

by TempNomad Updated Apr 4, 2011

Okay, we succumbed. My husband had a hankering for sushi, so we went to a huge seafood complex called Go Fish. It's right in the Disneyland of Mystic: Old Mystic Village.

It was actually very good, even though I had to get over my prejudices about blonde sushi chefs. The place is HUGE and has a few different restaurants in it. We went during the week, and I can imagine that on the weekends it's a party scene.

Favorite Dish: I was very happy with my vegetarian sushi rolls...as I always am!

The Steak Loft: Love the Salad Bar

by cjg1 Updated Nov 15, 2010

Filet and Stuffed Shrimp

The Steak Loft is a restaurant located right off og I-95 near the Mystik Village Shops. We were on a roadtrip headed North and growing quite hubgry for diner when we decided to stop off in Mystic. I had never been here before but my wife has eaten here previously; so I decided to try it out.

It was a Friday night and the parking lot looked jammed but we manged to find a spot right in front. Surprisingly the restaurant had no wait and is quite spacious with several dining areas as well as a huge bar. Our waitress seated us at a nice table for two in the second dining room.

As the name implies; the Steak Loft has a large selection of steak as well as seafood, chicken and other items. I was feeling like meat so I went with the filet with stuffed shrimp and a side of red mashed potato. Liz chose the Maryland Crabcakes and steak fries for her entree. We chose unsweetened ice teas as our beveregaes. All meals come with the unlimited salad bar; which to me was the best part of the meal. The sald bar has large iceberg wedges; quite nice along with assorted cold salads, breads and the usual salad fixings. I loved my iceberg wedge pilled with blue cheese, cucumbers, broccoli, bacon and croutons (which were rather good).

Our food arrived quickly and we dug in. My meat was very good; cooked perfectly to a medium rare. I wasn't overly thrilled by the exterior charring but it was good regardless. The shrimp stuffing was good but the shrimp itself were hard to eat due to they were still attached to their shell. My potatos were okay but I liked my wife's steak fries better and managed to steal a bunch from her plate. Liz enjoyed here crab cakes and upon tasting a bite I discovered how good they were for myself.

We manged to still have room for dessert and ordered a strawberry shortcake for me and an apple crisp for my wife. I loved my strawberry shortcake. The cake was moist, the strawberries were sweet and I loved the ice cream. Liz wasn't thriled with her crisp. It was overly sweet and had tons of rasins in it (what are raisins doing in a crisp?). She made due and just enjoyed the vanilla ice cream on top.

I must admit for a place smack in the middle of tourist central it had good food and service for a price that doesn't break the bank. I would definitely return here; probably not have the shrimp again but that salad bar was excellent.

Anthony J's Italian Bistro: Ambient Italian Bistro

by donpaul77 Written May 31, 2010
    Anthony J's

Anthony J's, in downtown historic Mystic, is a casual and ambient "jazzy" Italian bistro with nice cuisine and pleasant staff. The walls are of masonry with dark woodwork trim and there are candles on the tables. The dining area is nicely broken up so that the restaurant could be crowded and not feel so. We enjoyed a couple of nice pasta dishes on a rainy afternoon. I imagine it would be a nice place to dine at night. They serve a lot of italian/american favorites as well as brick oven pizza and seafood specials. Seafood is always a good choice in Mystic, in general.

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

Mystic Sweets and Ice Cream Shop: Gourmet, home made ice cream!

by donpaul77 Updated May 31, 2010
    mystic sweets shoppe

Mystic Sweets and Ice Cream Shop is a small cafe in Historic Mystic that makes gourmet ice cream, as well as hand made sweets and coffee. The ice cream is delicious and can be decadent, depending on what flavor you choose. The coffee is very good and they serve some interesting coffee creations. You can enjoy your treats at the small tables by the street front window, under murals of mermaids and angels.

Mystic Pizza: Famous Pizza

by donpaul77 Updated May 31, 2010
    Mystic Pizza

Mystic Pizza in historic Mystic Connecticut got a big boost from being featured as the backdrop for the 1988 film 'Mystic Pizza' which starred Julia Roberts. This two story eclectically decorated pizza joint serves excellent pizza and is well set up to handle the many tourists who dine there. The film is on a continuous loop on the TV's.

Note: There are two Mystic Pizza Restaurants. The original is in downtown Mystic. It underwent a remodel in 1996, yet still has a lot of it's original charm.

Favorite Dish: The pizza, of course! It isn't the thin crust pizza that I prefer, but it is still very good.

Sea View Snack Bar: Fresh and tasty seafood

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 26, 2010
    Our meal, sea scallops, onion rings, shrimp dinner

I had wanted to stop in this place many times while in Mystic, but had never quite made it until my most recent trip. I was spending a beautiful day with Kris and Leo at the aquarium and thought this a good place for us to grab our dinner.

The restaurant is a small shack that in my opinion has some of the freshest and tastiest seafood selections around. You order your meal from the board and wait to be called. You can either eat your meal at one of the picnic like tables in the back over looking the Mystic River, or you can take it to go. They have a really nice selection of seafood items like calamari, shrimp, fish, scallops, clams to name a few. They also have other items like chicken.

Kristara and I decided to order our meal and enjoy it outside in one of the tables. Kristara ordered the sea scallops and I ordered the shrimp dinner.

The food here is excellent, fresh and quite tasty!! I will definitely come back here.

Favorite Dish: Kristara ordered the Sea Scallops with onion rings, so fresh, juicy and tasty! I ordered the shrimp dinner with fries. The scallops were so good, the onion rings so tasty! The shrimp were quite good and so were the fries.

As we were leaving the owner asked us how we liked our meal, I gave him two thumbs up!! Definitelly a place we'll be back to!

Five Guys Burgers & Fries: Simple great tasting burgers

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 11, 2009

My bacon double cheeseburger

Five Guys seem to be everywhere these days. Their concept is great and their food even better. They started with one location and now have franchises all over the place. They have now popped up in other towns in Connecticut as well as one in Queens, NY and even in Washington, DC. and I am sure in many other places as well.

We had slept in and didn't leave our hotel until close to check out, so we thought we'd skip breakfast and have an early lunch. We arrived at 11:00 am sharp and were their first customers. By the time we left sometime around 11:45 am this place was packed!! Ferni is a big fan of trying burger places, so it wasn't hard to decide on this place.

The place was small with a counter to place your order from the board, pay and wait while it is prepared. You can grab a hand full of peanuts while you wait and if you ordered fountain soda, you are given cups so to fill your own. The burgers were so, so juicy!!! I like a simple burger, not those that try too hard with different types of buns. This burger was just good and thei fries were cooked to perfection.

The "regular" burger is a double burger cooked your way with choices of toppings.

Five Guys is located in a small no-descript shopping center where you will also find Starbucks.

Favorite Dish: They have a simple menu with burgers and hot dogs. I had the double bacon burger and a small fountain coke, Ferni had his double cheeseburger with a side of fries (the guy assured us it was plenty for us both, and he was so right).

We would definitely come back and would highly recommend this place.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Equinox Dinner: Good diner food!

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 11, 2009

My Hawaiian French Toast

We were spending the night in Mystic and wanted to have a really good breakfast and the Equinox Diner was a very good choice for us as it was conveniently located close to our hotel as well as I-95.

The diner is quite large and there were plenty of people in large groups and families with children enjoying their meal. We didn't wait at all and were seated right away at a nice booth. The waitress was very friendly introducing herself and being on point with taking our order, bringing over water and some coffee for me and coke for Ferni.

We loved the whole decor of the diner, very modern but classic. The booths are quite large in blue, yellow and tan making it bright and cheery. They have a bakery on premises and their dessert case is filled with yummy items like freshly baked bagels, breads, and other items.

The diner also had a few screen tvs strategically located throughout the diner.

We had a such a yummy filing breakfast and their lunch and dinner items looked just as good. A couple sitting behind us order their calamari, yum!!

I would definitely come back to have lunch or even dinner here again.

Favorite Dish: Ferni and I arrived early morning for some yummy breakfast. Their menu is quite extensive with the usual breakfast items and it was very hard deciding what I wanted, (Ferni usually orders the same thing), but as soon as I saw their version of a Hawaiin French Toast, I had to try it. It was three slices of pineapple bread dipped in eggs, topped with toasted coconuts, macadamia nuts and slices of banana and large slices of pineapple served with yummy authentic maple syrup. I love my potatoes and had to order a side. Ferni stuck with his Steak and eggs.

I packed two of the three pieces of French Toast to take with me as there just was way too much food for me to possible finish.

My meal was $8.95 and Ferni's was $13.95.

• gaolei's Profile Photo

S & P Oyster House: Good food and a great river view.

by gaolei Updated Apr 29, 2009

S&P Oyster house is a seafood restaurant located next to the Mystic river bridge. From the restaurant you can see up the river toward the Mystic museum. Last night there was a three masted, square rigged, sailing ship a few hundred yards up the river and in plain sight of our table. The view was just stunning at sunset!

Every night they have gourmet meals to satisfy any seafood lover, as well as, really great specials. You just can't go wrong here.

The best view is from the second floor. You can also eat outside on the patio, next to the river. You will also find the wait staff is especially friendly and competent.

Favorite Dish: The seafood specials are always great. I like them, because they are different every night. It is a chance to eat outside the menu.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Ten Clams

by Pawtuxet Updated Jan 30, 2008

Ten Clams isn't fancy, they don't do "gourmet". It's just a clean, inexpensive, convenient spot to have simple good food. It's easy to hop off Rte. 95 at Mystic, go into the recreated village, and enjoy a quick burger...chowder...caesar salad w/ grilled chicken... and hop back on the highway. We stopped when doing some antique store hopping, but whatever your path...you can get there, park and have a quick lunch without a lot of fuss.

• Architecture

• mizlara's Profile Photo

Mystic Pizza: It's A Real Place (and not a tourist trap)

by mizlara Written Oct 23, 2007

Walking in, I was really skeptical. To my surprise, this is a really well-run restaurant and the staff is helpful and attentive.
    I ordered a salad and a calzone. The salads are not traditional- they add a lot of extras to make it well, almost gourmet! And as for the calzone?? AMAZING! Really impressed. Being a born and raised Chicagoan, let's face it- I know pizza. The crust could be described as something close to a Home Run Inn pizza (buttery and crisp) and the sauce was on the marinara side of the scale. I will definitely return to Mystic Pizza.

Favorite Dish: Get the calzone with your favorite pizza stuffs. First of all, IT'S HUGE! You can easily share one with a friend.

• Women's Travel

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

The Famous Mystic Pizza

by keeweechic Updated Jun 19, 2007

There is one Mystic Pizza in Mystic and another in Stoningham. This place has become famous for its pizza's. It started off as a little place to serve the locals and tourists. And then one day, Hollywood came to town!! The little pizza shop caught the eye of a Los Angeles screen writer named Amy Jones. A movie (Mystic Pizza) was filmed on location in Mystic and neighboring towns. When 'Mystic Pizza' was released in 1988, it was a huge hit and because of it the little pizza place has become famous.

Favorite Dish: They not only serve their famous pizza but also other Italian dishes, homemade soups, sandwiches and seafood.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Schaefer's Spouter's Tavern: Lunch At A Rustic Tavern

by VeronicaG Updated Jan 26, 2007

Right in the midst of the seafaring village, what do we see? Schaefer's Spouter's Tavern! It fits right in with the 18th century buildings and serves great sandwiches, soup and 5 cent beer. We felt like one of the mateys! It's open for lunch on the weekends.

Stop by, it gives you time to absorb the whole atmosphere of Mystic!

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Mystic

Comments

Mystic Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mystic restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mystic sightseeing.