Mystic Seaport Warnings and Dangers

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Know your Children's Boredom Threshold

by DEBBBEDB Updated Aug 28, 2008

Watching the Tale of the Whale

My husband loved the Seaport Village and was in his element reading every sign and visiting every exhibit. My son's friend was also thrilled with everything. But my children got bored

I stopped and looked at the interactive presentation called "The Tale of the Whale" that they had for children and it looked very interesting (although maybe for younger children than my son and his friend who are 14) but by this time we need to go to lunch. We didn't get to the Planetarium.

Unfortunately the place we picked (off the Seaport site) had very slow service. Afterwards we went to the aquarium, which everyone loved.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Museum Visits

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Not Present until 2011 - The Charles W. Morgan

by grandmaR Updated Aug 8, 2008

Charles W. Morgan at the pier

The Charles W. Morgan is the only surviving wooden American sailing whaleship from the 1800s. As such, she is the centerpiece of the Mystic Seaport whaling village. Her first voyage was in 1841, and she served from then until December 1941 when she came to Mystic Seaport. The ship was declared a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and in 1968 she went through a major restoration and preservation.

A chance remark by our water taxi driver leads me to make this warning. Mystic Seaport is preparing to haul the Charles W. Morgan for a major three-year restoration. So you won't be able to see her between August 2008 and 2011.

• Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Mystic Seaport

Comments

Mystic Seaport Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Mystic Seaport warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mystic Seaport sightseeing.

View all Mystic Seaport hotels