New Haven Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by cjg1
    The second breakfast
    by leics
    What was left of the tray-sized pizza.
    by leics

Most Recent Restaurants in New Haven

• leics's Profile Photo

Panera: Good, basic food and drinks....

by leics Written Aug 2, 2013

Exterior

I went into this place twice. Both times I was impressed by the friendly service and the sensible prices for food and drink. I know it's a chain...but....

It's on the same stretch as 'Atticus' and other similar, more upmarket eating places...but Panera is good value. Their coffee was particularly good, I thought. I find most US coffee to be very watery, but Panera's was amongst the least watery I've come across.

My companion had soup and a sandwich and I had a strawberry and banana smoothie (very cold and very good). I went there for 'breakfast' one morning too. Ok, a cinnamon roll isn't a healthy breakfast....but I was on holiday, and I love cinnamon rolls! :-)

A good-value basic eating place right in the centre of NH.

• leics's Profile Photo

The Cask Republic: Wonderful selection of beers...

by leics Written Aug 2, 2013
    Exterior

This is a super bar, very comfortable and very friendly. It has a huge selection of beers to choose from, both bottled and draught, US-produced and 'foreign'.....and, of course, all the other types of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

It was an ideal place for me to relax on in a comfortable chair (there are sofas too) with a beer and a good book. :-)

Staff are extremely pleasant and courteous (unlike the bartender in 'Bar'!). They serve food as well, though I haven't eaten there yet. I certainly will next time I visit NH. Food prices look pretty reasonable for central NH and the place is certainly very popular. You can see the food and beer menus on their website.

Well worth seeking out....just a really nice place with a good vibe.

• Beer Tasting

Bar: Huuuuge pizzas!

by leics Updated Aug 2, 2013

Bar exterior

On my first visit to NH we ate in Bar...a strange, barely-decorated place which is hugely popular. It's also a nightclub, though I didn't notice.

Most importantly, it's a microbrewery and also has brick ovens for cooking its pizzas (I could tell!).

They produce really excellent thin-crust pizzas: massive great things half the size of a table. One was enough for 3 of us. We chose the 'mashed potato' topping for half of ours: it was, I have to admit, superb. And I made sure we chose it again on my second visit to Bar, in 2013.

You can see the size of the 'bowl of salad' from the photo. One of those was enough for 3 of us as well!

Bar seems as popular in 2013 as it was when I first wrote this tip in 2011. You can expect to have to wait for a table in the evenings, although not usually for too long. Tables are rustic in the 'front room', with benches. Service is certainly nothing special...the bartender on my second visit was one of the rudest I've ever encountered....but the food is reasonably-priced and very good.

The beer is excellent too. I had the Toasted Blonde (both times) and it was really good. The website below has a beer menu as well as the food menu.

Well worth seeking this place out, if only for the beer! :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

Atticus: Breakfast with a book?

by leics Updated Aug 2, 2013

Atticus (obviously)

I don't eat breakfast in my hotel every day, so often look for a snack mid-morning. On both visits I've eaten at Atticus.

Atticus is an excellent bookshop but also has a rather good cafe. complete with lampshades which have literary quotations.

On my first visit I had the croissant/bacon/cheese/scrambled egg combo, and very nice it was too. On my second I had egg, bacon, bread and random fruit (random fruit seems to be quite common in the US.....). All very pleasant.

The cafe section has been busy every time I passed by (it must be even busier when Yale students are in residence). There's a very good choice of sandwiches, cakes, pastries, juices etc etc. They do take-away as well as in-cafe eating.

I'm pretty sure Atticus offers free wifi: there are always lots of people working on their laptops.

Well worth a visit....and the bookshop is excellent.

Favorite Dish: Open Sun-Thu 7am-9pm and Fri-Sat 7am-10pm

• Kbgrace's Profile Photo

Caseus: My Favoritest Restaurant of all time!

by Kbgrace Written Feb 12, 2012

I love love love this place! It features local food, creatively prepared, in a casual environment. They do it there way. I bring everyone who comes to visit us here to show them what makes New Haven unique.

Favorite Dish: trout
    sangia

Ashley's: Ice-cream!

by leics Updated Aug 8, 2011

The ice-cream

Ok, so this place was voted Connecticut's number 1 ice-cream place...and has been voted New Haven's best for 26 years running....so obviously I had to try it.

They have a range of flavours, of course (including special flavours for the month/season) and more toppings than you can shake a stick at. the website gives you the (long) list of potential flavours...that doesn't mean all flavours are available when you visit, of course.

It was very good ice-cream, I have to admit. I tried one of the simplest: a cone of butter pecan.

But the problem is, I have eaten ice-cream (gelato) in Italy. Many, many times. And, somehow, ....as good as Ashley's is......it simply does not compare with a cono of gelato!

Nevertheless, you should of course try Ashley's ice-cream whilst you are in New Haven (or one of its other locations in Connecticut). You may find it entirely wonderful, depending on what you are used to eating! :-)

Open Mon-Sat 11am - 11pm Sun 12 pm - 11 pm

Brueggers: Super-fresh bagels

Brueggers

Brueggers is a chain, though I didn't know that at the time.

All I knew was that it provided me with really excellent soft, fresh bagels at a time when I was hungry.

I saw the bagels cooking as I waited to be served.

I had a poppy-seed bagel with onion-and-chive cream cheese and it was delicious.

i had fresh orange juice and it was delicious too (I found a Brueggers in Boston and had equally good orange juice there).

Very reasonable indeed, nice cafe, good service, excellent bagels with a zillion different filings.

Recommended.

Clark's Pizza & Restaurant: Classic American Diner

Clarks

I was determined to 'eat American' at least a few times and this diner came recommended.

It's family-owned and run, with varied menu listings (sandwiches, pizza, soup, burgers, salds etc etc ) which include some Greek specialities such as Greek salad and (I believe the family is Greek in origin).

Not a 'cool' place, nothing special, 'retro' decor (which means it's not been changed)....but pleasant service, good food and good value.

I can't find a website for the restaurant (someone has appropriated its name for a very weird blog site) but its listings on review sites are all very positive.

I certainly enjoyed my 'fish sandwich' and fries, served with tartare sauce. Very good indeed.

Easily walkable from central New Haven and well worth a visit.

Lalibela: Ethiopian cuisine

The food...yum!

Well, of course you'd expect to find an Ethiopian restaurant in New Haven. Wouldn't you?

I'd decided that I must definitely try this place (opposite my hotel) before I left, and I did.

I dined with vegetarians, so we stuck to vegetarian options but there are lamb and beef dishes too. Prices are exceptionally reasonable and the cooking is good.

We had three different dishes (a set price for any 4 veggie options). I especially liked the kosta (spinach and potatoes cooked in mild spices) but the other dishes were also excellent. Not too spicy and hot either.

You eat in the Ethiopian manner, with no cutlery. The food is served on trays lined with injera bread (a sourdough pancake) with another basket of injera which you use to eat the stews. Injera is very filling indeed, so only use small pieces!

Excellent value, lovely food, well worth a visit.

Beware the coffee; it's really, really good but very strong indeed. It could easily keep you awake for a long time! :-)

• ebnoia's Profile Photo

Rudy's: Great Bar Food!

by ebnoia Updated Apr 4, 2011

Rudy's is a great hole in the wall, dark bar in downtown New Haven. They have a great, friendly staff, lots of beers on tap and a wonderful punk rock jukebox. I love to go there during the summer and sit outside with a cold beer. Rudy's has the typical bar food: burgers, hot dogs, wings, etc. They serve wonderful Belguim Frites (french fries) with 20 different kinds of dippiing sauces.

Rudy's is definitely the place to go if you want good bar food and a laid back atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The frites are of course my favorite! I can't go there for a beer without getting an order of frites! And their cheeseburger is the best in town!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

India Palace Restaurant: Tasty and Cheap

by cjg1 Updated Nov 8, 2010

Garlic Naan

My wife and I love Indian food and are always on the hunt for something new and delicious. We had heard of India Palace from one of Liz's colleagues at Yale and decided to try it out since we were in the area. The restaurant is located right in the heart of the city and close to the school. Parking was easy since there were so much street parking available.

The restaurant is one of the no frills yet inviting places. We were seated at a table for four on the right side of the place and handed menus. Bread and dipping sauces were placed on the table. After perusing the menu I decided to have a Taj Majal to drink and the Channa Saag. Liz chose a Kingfisher and the Alu Palak. We decided to split an order of Vegetable Pakoras as an appetizer and some Garlic Naan with the meal.

I really enjoyed the Pakoras; they were the best I have had anywhere. My Channa Saag was quite nice and had just the right amount of spice for my liking. Liz loved here meal but couldn't finish it all. We both agreed on the Naan; it was not the best we had had but it was still good.

All in all; the service here was very good, the food was excellently prepared and fresh tasting. We will definitely come here again for another meal when we are in the area.

Favorite Dish: I loved the Pakoras. We both agreed they were the best vegetable fritter we had had at any Indian restaurant; personally I think they were the best I had had in the world. I loved my Channa Sag; the fresh spinach cooked with chick peas onion and spices was perfect. and I loved dipping my garlic naan in the sauce.

• bekssa's Profile Photo

Pepe's: Now this is apizza!

by bekssa Written Nov 28, 2009

I used to live back east and was craving some "real" pizza. So on a recent trip, we checked for reviews and ended up here. It was incredible. My husband had NEVER eaten pizza that looked or tasted like this before and I was kind of worried because he loves lots of sauce. No problem. He also declared it his all-time favorite. One more note--I really wanted to get some spumoni while I was in the area. There is an ice cream shop to your immediate right as you enter Pepe's (I think there is a parking lot in between). The woman in that shop said that I would have needed to call a day or so ahead and request spumoni. That tells me that they make the real thing! And oh--I wish I had known that because that would have been a perfect finish for a perfect meal.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Original Frank Pepe's Pizza 1925

by apbeaches Written Jul 16, 2008

The history of Pepe's was described on the travel channel: In the early years of the 20th century (the Pizza Legend goes) Frank Pepe immigrated to New Haven, where he created the first American pizza by putting tomatoes on top of old bake-shop bread. His creation was so successful that in 1925 Pepe opened his first pizzeria on Wooster Street. By 1938, business was booming, the whole family was involved, and Pepe's nephew Sal Consiglio split off and opened his own pizzeria, Sally's. Soon, Pepe had moved out of his original store, now called The Spot, and opened a larger restaurant. Sally's and Pepe's remain locked in their Wooster Street rivalry today, two blocks apart.

Favorite Dish: Pizza of course

• Pepe's Pizza: Make sure you go try The Best Brick Oven Pizza

by LisaBid Written Apr 12, 2008

Great Brick Oven Pizza thats worth the wait! Some days you'll have to wait in line outside for a few hours cause people come from all over to have a piece of their favorite pie! It's that good so make sure you get there early before your hunger sets in and be prepared to wolf down a bunch of slices once you get inside! 1 more thing, they don't sell slices, so your gonna have to buy a whole pie.

Favorite Dish: I myself love the plain cheese pizza. Many people say that their clam pies are the best!

• tony-da-nomad's Profile Photo

Pepe's: Awesome Pizza!

by tony-da-nomad Written Jun 19, 2007

If you are in New Haven and want some of the best pizza you've ever tasted, you have to try Pepe's! It's traditional Italian brick-oven pizza that is well known around New Haven county. Expect to wait in line for up to half an hour to get in on Friday and Saturday nights after 6PM.

Favorite Dish: The pizza with any of a large number of toppings to choose from.

Instant Answers: New Haven

Comments

New Haven Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Haven restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Haven sightseeing.