New Haven Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in New Haven

Nica's Market: Great Pasta Selection

by cjg1 Updated Mar 3, 2015

My wife and I were wandering around New Haven in search of an Italian deli that carries her beloved favorite Salami. We wound up here at Nica's but they didn't have her salami. They did have an amazing selection of pasta, olives, cheeses, bread, meat, cold cuts, olive oild and other italian wares. My wife and I had some fun perusing the pasta offerings before deciding on some gnocchi and porcini mushroom ravioli. We also found their fresh baked bread aisle with some amazing selections too tempting to resist and chose a nice ciabatta loaf.

We were happy to discover such a nice mareket with great pasta offerings as my wife doesn't always have the time to make fresh pasta for us at home.

Romeo & Ceasers Gourmet: Amazing Cheese Selection

by cjg1 Updated Mar 3, 2015

Romeo & Ceasers Gourmet is a local store selling avariety of Italian food items. My wife and I ventured here in search of her favorite salami she can usually only find back in the Bronx. Unfortunately we didn't find her salami but we found the owner Romeo. Romeo and my wife had a long discussion about food, italy and the Bronx before delving into some samples of cheeses. He gave us an amazing sample of imported provolone cheese and some parmesan cheese as well as sausage. The provolone was amazingly good; so good my wife bought a rather large block of it for home. We already had parmesan at home so there was no need for a purchase that day.

The store has a large variety of cheeses, produce, meats, cold cuts, pasta, sauces and italian desserts. My wife was in heaven perusing the wares and knowing she found an authentic Italian deli.

What to buy: We bought a nice block of imported provolone which came out to $25. Pricey yes; but very much worth it.

Alex and Ani: Jewelry Shopping

by cjg1 Updated Jan 5, 2015

My wife and I were doing some shopping in New Haven and came upon this Alex and Ani store on York Street. My wife has several of their bracelets and I am always eager to add to her collection.

This shop is small compared to some of their others we have visited in New York, NH and RI but they still had a great selection. The sales associate was very helpful but not hovering. After perusing the cases my wife selected three of the silver toned bracelets: a starfish, a seashell and an intial C. Each bracelet was $28 dollars and I received my 10% military discount upon checkout. The warranty and receipt of purchase was emailed to me as well.

I liked this location better than some of the others we have been to; it wasn't as crowded as the Newport Location or bereft of stock as the Portsmouth location was our last visit. The service here was very friendly and it is a short drive from our home. Parking can be tricky but we had a nice metered spot on the street.

What to buy: Bracelets, bags, rings, necklaces.

What to pay: Individual Bracelets are typically in the $28-38 dollar range but can go up in price. Sets are more money as are some wraps.

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Atticus: The model for all the best book shops

by Bunsch Written Sep 30, 2007

Nowadays, many of the American chain booksellers have added cafes where it is possible to get a latte and a "little something" (as Pooh used to say) to consume whilst paging through the latest art book or Pulitzer winner. In my opinion, none of them are as successful at combining food-for-the-spirit with food-for-the-tummy as Atticus, long a staple of the New Haven scene. The culinary offerings surpass by some margin the chain stores' goodies, and the staff is exceptionally knowledgeable on the literary front, as well. I've spent many happy hours encountering authors who've become favorites -- lingering long enough so that a morning coffee became a soup lunch. Atticus manages to cram an admirable breadth of subject matter into a fairly small space, so that tables can be a little cramped, but that's part of the charm. The restaurant side of the service is, shall we say, less charming. But I love the bread!

What to buy: The shop features Yale and New Haven authors as well as the standard NYT best-sellers and an impressive collection of art, architecture, photography, children's books, and other more arcane literature.

What to pay: Candidly, the food prices are on the high side. Books are basically fair-traded.

• Study Abroad

• Miya's Sushi: PREMIUM SMALL BATCH SAKES

by cindyhoop Written Jul 12, 2006

Miya Japanese Restaurant in New Haven is famous for it's experimental cuisine. Most of what is created there obviously does not travel well. But there are exceptions. Miya's has fantastic homemade infused sakes and beer. The four that I particularly like are the DRAGON LADY SAKE (ginger lemongrass and wildflower honey infused sake). the CHINESE FIRECRACKER SAKE (hot peppers, limes and clover honey infused sake), the CHEROKEE SUMAC LOVE POTION SAKE (hand picked wild sumac berries and wildflower honey infused sake) and lastly but not leastly the MIYA'S BEER (green tea, ginger and lemongrass infused) designed to deliciously cleanse the palate).

What to buy: Legendary chef BUN LAI of MIYA'S has created sakes that are absolutely stunning.

What to pay: $10.75-$28.75

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Yale Bookstore: Yale souvenirs

by meteorologist1 Updated Aug 19, 2003

The Yale bookstore is worth to have a look. The store sells souvenirs that pertain to Yale University: t-shirts, mugs, caps, writing utensils, and postcards. The store, of course, also sells textbooks and books. It is run by Barnes and Noble.

Yale University
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: New Haven

Comments

New Haven Shopping

Reviews and photos of New Haven shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Haven sightseeing.